Reincarnation no Kaben (リィンカーネーションの花弁 ; Petals of Reincarnation) is a manga created by Konishi Mikihisa. It is in an ongoing status, and the author post new chapters on his official Twitter.
The story follows Touya Seiji, a high-school student who has excellent academic results but is never satisfied due to his inferiority complex born of years of being compared to his incredibly talented older brother by their family. Desiring talent over anything else, Touya crosses paths with his absent classmate Haito Le Buffet.
Later on, he found out that she isn't just someone who has talent, but someone who "took" the talent of herself in her past life through the Branch of Reincarnation, a tool allows them to get a hold of a talent from a previous life. And, those who "took" the talent from their past lives, are also known as "Returners. What talent will he be returned, and what kind of Returner will he be once he becomes one of them?
Reincarnation no Kaben contains examples of:
- Adult Fear: Imagine being a parent and seeing your child cut their own neck using a weird knife they brought home earlier. It must be terrifying.
- Alas, Poor Villain: Originally, the Sinners was a group of Returners who simply wanted to join the Forest of the Greats. The reason they now oppose the Forest is that the Forest had almost mortally wounded their beloved leader Kouu, an act interpreted by the Sinners as the Forest rejecting all Returners with a criminal origin like them with zero regard for the people wielding those origins.
- Always Someone Better: No matter what he did, Touya was always compared to his older brother Seiya, which led to his serious inferiority complex and desire for talent.
- Art Evolution: Mikihasa's art has shifted over the years, going from somewhat stiff lines to smoother ones.
- Badass Crew: The Forest of the Greats and the Sinners consist of Returners with awesome talents that can kick anyones butt with ease. And each antagonizes their counterpart.
- Bitch in Sheep's Clothing:
- For beginners, we have Caesar, The Mole for Kouus Army who lurked inside the Forest.
- Nightingale is a whole new level. She has been the mastermind behind all the tragedy, like brainwashing Da Vinci then making him fight with his closest friend Kouu, resulting in Da Vinci's death, Kouu's mortal wound, and the founding of the Sinners.
- Big Fancy House: Touya lives in one, since he comes from a wealthy family.
- Brainwashed and Crazy: It deserves a big place here when most of the Forest of the Greats are brainwashed into being Nightingales minions and start wrecking the world.
- Cherry Blossoms: The blood-red petals falling from the Returners neck actually have the shape of cherry blossom petals. It fits with the series death and reincarnation theme.
- Last Kiss: Kouu and Charlotte share one in Chapter 32, before they depart to death.
- We Hardly Knew Ye: Many members of the Forest of the Greats and the Sinners are eliminated in a few chapters at best and right after their introduction at worst.
- The Worf Effect: Members of the Forest of the Greats are no doubt very powerful, and had there been no conflict against the Sinners the organization would be virtually invincible. But since its no fun that way, in their confrontations with the Sinners, most of the members were killed to show how mighty their Evil Counterpart is.