The Kuroneko Kareshi Series (Black Cat Boyfriend Series) is a Yaoi manga series written and illustrated by Ayane Ukyo under the pseudonym Aya Sakyo. It was serialized in the magazine Dear+ and has been running since 2012.
Shingo is a werecat who can transform into a black cat. With no ambition over his life and relationships, he enjoys sleeping around with anyone as long as he finds them attractive. One day, when his company is contracted to work on a movie set, he meets Keiichi Kagami, Japan's biggest and most attractive actor of the now. Keiichii's quite playful around Shingo, but he also has a beasty side, in ways Shingo is shocked to discover!
The series includes the following titles, with the all of them receiving drama CD adaptations:
- Kuroneko Kareshi no Asobikata (How to Play With a Black Cat Boyfriend)
- Kuroneko Kareshi no Amaekata (How to Spoil a Black Cat Boyfriend)
- Kuroneko Kareshi no Nakasekata (How to Make a Black Cat Boyfriend Purr)
- Kuroneko Kareshi no Aishikata (How to Love a Black Cat Boyfriend)
- Kuroneko Kareshi no Afurekata (How to Overflow a Black Cat Boyfriend)
- Kuroneko to Kareshi to Ouji-sama (Black Cat and Boyfriend and Prince)
Tropes present in Kuroneko Kareshi Series include:
- Adorably Precocious Child: Rio.
- But Not Too Foreign: Keiichi is half-British and half-Japanese.
- The Confidant: The resident Cool Old Guy Masato, Shingo's Childhood Friend, often listens to Shingo's complaints about his relationship with Keiichi and often gives him advice.
- Crazy Jealous Guy: This probably defines Keiichi. He hates anyone who gets too close to Shingo. He's quite jealous of Masato's closeness to Shingo but does not harm him. Hasumi is a frequent victim. Keiichi is also jealous of his six-year-old nephew Rio who also seems to like Shingo as well.
- Crossover: Sakyo often does Cross Overs with her BL series, which includes...
- Ikezu Kareshi No Otoshikata: The movie that Shiou and Keiichi are starring in during Asobikata is an adaptation of Takumi Mori's works. Takumi and Tanaka appear in one panel.
- Nekoka Danshi no Shitsukekata: Shiou is Keiichi's co-star in Asobikata, and he appears in a couple of panels.
- Nekoka Kareshi No Ayashikata: This is more of a Continuity Nod, but in chapter 1, when Shingo complains to Masato about going after a "babe" and getting beaten up by his boyfriend, he is definitely referring to Kokonoe and Natsume.
- Fukigen Kareshi No Nadamekata: The events of this story and its characters are pivotal to the plot of Aishikata. The movie director who goes after Keiichi in Afurekata also makes his first appearance in a side story chapter.
- Cuteness Overload: Keiichi always finds Shingo adorable.
- First-Name Basis: Keiichi calls Shingo by his first name, but it isn't until the end of Aishikata that Shingo calls Keiichi by his first name.
- Freudian Excuse: Shingo used to be a housecat who was then abandoned in a box by his owner. Because of this, it is difficult for him to get involved in a serious relationship, and accept that Keiichi loves him.
- Only One Name: Shingo and most of the side characters only have one name. The only ones who have a surname are the Keiichi and Eugine.
- Precocious Crush: Rio seems to be developing one on Shingo.
- Rape as Drama: Shingo and Keiichi are sexually active, which is often portrayed lovingly, but in Aishikata, Keiichi forces himself on Shingo after the latter refuses to make up with him for not solving things with his family.
- Really Gets Around: Prior to meeting Keiichi, Shingo often spent his nights randomly sleeping around with anyone with a pretty face.
- Seme: Keiichi
- Tsundere: When Shingo is around Keiichi he particularly turns into a Tsundere — super prickly to him upfront, and sweet to him in bed. Shingo sometimes acts coldly towards Keiichi after someone makes him question their relationship, making him insecure and part of his cold nature towards Keiichi is he's afraid that he'll one day grow tired of him.
- Uke: Shingo