This page contains unmarked spoilers about The Last Jedi. You Have Been Warned!
The Legends of Luke Skywalker is a Star Wars Expanded Universe novel by newcomer & several award-winning author Ken Liu (The Dandelion Dynasty, The Paper Menagerie). It was released as a part of the multimedia promotional project, Journey to Star Wars: The Last Jedi.
As a cargo ship rockets across the galaxy to Canto Bight, the deckhands on board trade stories about legendary Jedi Knight Luke Skywalker. But are the stories of iconic and mysterious Luke Skywalker true, or merely tall tales passed from one corner of the galaxy to another? Is Skywalker really a famous Jedi hero, an elaborate charlatan, or even part droid? The deckhands will have to decide for themselves when they hear the Legends of Luke Skywalker.
It was released on October 31st, 2017.
Tropes in this book include:
- All There in the Manual: The book explains how the legend of Luke spread in the Galaxy after his Heroic Sacrifice at the end of The Last Jedi, when the kids of Canto Bight's fathier stables are reenacting his exploits with makeshift toys.
- Conspiracy Theorist: Redy, the first story's titular "Myth Buster". Before launching into her version of the origin of Luke Skywalker (a.k.a. Luke Clodplodder) she warms them up with her discovery that Admiral Ackbar is a remote-operated droid.
- Foreshadowing: In the third story, an elder Lew'elan quips to Luke: "I can only wish that someday you'll also be pestered by a student as persistent to learn what you do not wish to teach". Years later, Luke would meet such a student, Rey.
- Precocious Crush: Aya develops one for Luke.
- Unreliable Narrator: The entire premise of the book is that, except for the framing story, everything you're about to read is second-hand rumors at best.