"Kindred Spirits" is a Short Story written by Christie Golden set in the Star Wars universe. It was first released on July 21, 2015 in Star Wars Insider Magazine #159 and serves a prequel to Golden's novel Dark Disciple.
After being the Sole Survivor of a team of mercenaries sent to steal an item off a freighter, Asajj Ventress is rescued by the notorious Pantoran pirate Lassa Rhayme, who had been planning on hijacking the freighter Asajj attacked. The two agree to work together to get the freighter back from the Ohnaka Gang, who hijacked the freighter after Asajj's attack.
This short story contains the following tropes:
- Action Girl: Asajj and Lassa easily rip through Hondo's pirates, and manage to do so without killing a single one.
- Affably Evil: Hondo, naturally, along with Lassa. Both are amoral pirates, but are pretty polite and jovial most of the time.
- The Aloner: Asajj turns down Lassa's offer to join her crew because she prefers working alone and avoiding attachments after the last group of people she became attached to were butchered by General Grievous.
- Bad Boss: Lassa has cultivated this image in order to intimidate and frighten targets and other gangs. She is actually a pretty good one.
- Birds of a Feather: There is a good reason the story is titled Kindred Spirits. Asajj and Lassa have fairly similar personalities and senses of humor, while also being able to work extremely well together. Lassa even tries to recruit Asajj into her crew because she likes her so much, with Asajj being very tempted to take her up on the offer but deciding to continue working alone.
- Continuity Nod: Hondo berates Jiro for agreeing to take a Jedi captive, noting that he had ordered that they stay out of Jedi business after the last few instances did not turn out so well for them.
- Everyone Has Standards: Lassa order Asajj not to kill any of Hondo's gang, since it is both unnecessary and would trigger a war between them and the Blood Bone Order. Asajj reluctantly complies, but settles for kneecapping and breaking their arms to non-lethally and painfully subdue them.
- Fake Defector: Lassa's cover while pretending to join Hondo's gang is that she used to work for Lassa before deciding that she wanted a fairer boss like Hondo.
- Fantastic Racism: Asajj is very happy to be kicking the crap out of Weequay, whom she despises since a group of Weequay pirates was responsible for the death of her Jedi Master.
- Fingore: Several pirates try to catch Asajj's lightsaber when Lass tosses it to Asajj and end up losing their fingers as a result.
- Loveable Rogue: Hondo and Lassa.
- Master Swordswoman: Asajj is obviously skilled with her lightsaber, but Lassa also has a great deal of experience with swords and is thus able to wield Asajj's blade with little difficulty.
- Pirate: Two groups of them: Lassa is in command of the Blood Bone Order, while Hondo leads the Ohnaka Gang.
- Surrounded by Idiots: Hondo once again has to deal the idiocy of his men costing him a great deal.
- Trojan Prisoner: Asajj is disguised as a captured Jedi by Lassa and handed over to the Ohnaka Gang in order to secure Lassa's "defection" from the Blood Bone Order so she can trick Jiro into sending most of the Ohnaka Gang away and get Asajj deeper into their base.