Templeton Barliman is a Web Serial Novel by budding author, and troper Cameron Arnold, also known as Brony Heresy. The series is about the titular character, nicknamed Barley, as he attempts to make his way in the post-apocalyptic world of Aspen, Colorado. Templeton, who is twenty-four, is unemployed, has very few friends, and has generally awful luck, and yet he manages to, in the space of the first installment, and finally get himself a job. Unfortunately, that job turns out to be one of the most dangerous jobs in the land, and Templeton wonders just what he's gotten himself into.
Templeton Barliman contains examples of:
- Bar Brawl: Winston starts one of these.
- Brave Scot: Ander, and to a lesser degree, Christian.
- Cryptic Background Reference: Three in the first installment alone: Event, the Shi, and ghouls are all currently unexplained.
- Dashingly Dapper Derby: Grandfather Barliman's bowler hat.
- Do Not Call Me "Paul": Templeton doesn't care for his real name.
- Driving Test: Sort of. Oddly, Templeton has no license but is able to get into a car to learn to drive without even thinking about needing one.
- Embarrassing First Name: Templeton.
- Everyone Calls Him "Barkeep": "Barkeep."
- Eyepatch of Power: Ander.
- Fiery Redhead: Ander.
- Gentle Giant: Templeton is implied to be well over 6 feet tall, and he is, so far, the second nicest character in the series.
- Handicapped Badass: Christian has a brass leg, and Ander is missing an eye: the badass part is implied.
- Jerkass: Winston.
- The Magic Poker Equation: Subverted. Marcus stacked the deck in Templeton's favor.
- Messy Hair: Templeton, again.
- Only Known by Their Nickname: Templeton goes by Barley.
- What Beautiful Eyes!: Templeton, hidden behind his Nerd Glasses.