The first book in a new series, Lunen: Triblood by Ahmed Al-Sheikh (Author of Wandering Djinn) follows an episodic chapter nature as we follow Winnie in this new world. What's interesting is that nearly everyone has amazing super powers because of the birth moons of themselves and their parents. The titular Lunen has all three moons, giving him enhanced physical power (red moon), an enhanced healing ability (gold moon), and elemental manipulation (blue moon). Unfortunately, he's not as strong in one category as someone who would have three of the same moon, making for some interesting conflicts.
A sequel, Lunen: Endgame is in the works.
This series provides examples of:
- Big Damn Heroes: Lunen and Winnie both like doing this a lot.
- Blood Knight: The Fight Hunter Izoln is definitely one. Lunen has shades of this, but manages to keep it in check.
- Designated Girl Fight: Winnie vs Disana
- Eldritch Abomination: The monster at the Zero Point.
- Lightning Bruiser: Several, including Lunen.
- Ordinary High-School Student: Technically, a college student, but Winnie is essentially one.
- Razor Wind: One of Lunen's favored techniques.
- Shout-Out: Winnie references the battle of Thermopylae, which inspires Lunen to copy the same tactic of creating a bottleneck for one battle.
- Superpower Lottery: Subverted. Lunen, as a Triblood, has quite the quantity of powers, but his powers aren't as strong as people with just one power. He relies more on his wits and the element of surprise than any advantage his powers might give him.
- Thou Shalt Not Kill: Lunen takes this seriously, although he has killed in the past. His logic about it being a last result, as well as stating that being strong involves not needing to kill an opponent, makes some sense.
- Took a Level in Badass: Winnie starts off timid and neurotic. This doesn't change, but man can she kick ass by the end.
- Villainous Incest: The Masked Emperor and his younger sister/assassin Disana
- Weapon of Choice: Several characters
- Weird Moon: Three of them, in fact.
- World of Badass: Everyone seems to be one, but special note for Lunen.