I'm Ok is a Children/Middle School novel by Patti Kim.
Ok is a young boy whose family moved to the United States from South Korea. Since the death of his father, Ok has had to be the man of the house. As a result, he's always looking for a new Get-Rich-Quick Scheme to help out his mother with finances. Recently, he's gotten wind of a talent show, with a US$100 grand prize. Ok is determined to win it.
Of course, then he notices that Deacon Koh from his church, whom he doesn't like, has started taking an interest in his mother.
The book was released on October 16th, 2018.
I'm Ok contains examples of:
- Alliterative Name: Ok's female friend has the name Mickey McDonald.
- The Bully: Asa Banks. That doesn't last, though.
- Clothing-Concealed Injury: Mickey comes to school late in the book with a make-up covered bruise. She got it when her mother hit her as punishment for stealing money from her. It was really Ok who stole it to be able to afford the tent he wanted.
- Disappeared Dad: Ok's dad died before the book started. He slipped on a roof, fell off, and broke his neck.
- Fashionable Asymmetry: Mickey McDonald wears socks with pom-poms on the back. One is green, the other is yellow.
- Parent with New Paramour: Ok's mom starts dating Deacon Koh in the book. Problem is, Ok doesn't like Deacon Koh, thinking he tries too hard to get Ok to like him back. His dislike of Koh is further increased when he thinks he sees him take money from the church collection plate.
- The Runaway: Ok becomes one in the later part of the book because he can't stand that his mother is dating Deacon Koh, who he recently witnessed stealing money from the church collection plate.note
- The Scrooge: Ok's mom is all about doing whatever it takes to save money, whether it's stuffing her pockets with condiment packets and napkins at McDonald's, or insisting that the toilet be flushed only once a week.
- Shoplifting: Ok steals a customer's sample bottle of skin cream from a store to give to his mother by stuffing it down his back pocket. He doesn't feel good about having done it.
- Talent Show: One of the arcs of the story is Ok's plans to win the school talent show. The prize is $100.00. He loses to Asa.
- Your Makeup Is Running: In the first chapter, Ok notes that a woman looking at him has cheeks that are streaked grey from mascara running down them.