One of the books of the Minor Prophets that is part of the Old Testament and The Bible. In this book, Amos is called to be a prophet to speak out against the northern kingdom of Israel for its moral decay.
This book provides examples of:
- Can't Take Criticism: "They hate him who reproves in the gate, and they abhor him who speaks the truth." (Amos 5:10)
- The Day of Reckoning: In Amos 5:18-20:Woe to you who desire the day of the Lord!For what good is the day of the Lord to you?It will be darkness, and not light.It will be as though a man fled from a lion,And a bear met him!Or as though he went into the house,Leaned his hand on the wall,And a serpent bit him!Is not the day of the Lord darkness, and not light?Is it not very dark, with no brightness in it?
- The Famine: God speaks in Chapter 8 about bringing a famine in the land of Israel, but not of food or water — rather, of hearing the words of God; that people will seek His Word and not find it.
- "The Reason You Suck" Speech: The book starts off with eight short and specific speeches to eight of the kingdoms God has a problem with — Damascus, Gaza, Tyre, Edom, Ammon, Moab, Judah, and Israel — and then the rest of the book focuses primarily on the northern kingdom of Israel for their various injustices and transgressions against God.
- Rich Bitch: In the first few verses of Chapter 4, Amos doesn't have any pleasant words to say to the wealthy women of Samaria who through their self-indulgent lifestyles oppress the poor, crush the needy, and demand that their husbands always bring them drinks, referring to those women as "cows of Bashan" and saying that God will bring every last one of them out by fishhooks note to exile and judgment.
- Rule of Three: In Chapter 7, God shows Amos three different visions of judgment. The first is a vision of locusts which He will bring unto Israel. Amos pleads with God not to bring that judgment upon them, and God relents. The second is a vision of fire that God will bring upon that kingdom. Again Amos pleads for God not to bring that judgment, and again God relents. The third is a vision of a plumb line that God will set in the middle of Israel, and this time God says that He will not relent.
- Stop Worshipping Me: In Amos 5:21-24:I hate, I despise your feast days,And I do not savor your sacred assemblies.Though you offer Me burnt offerings and your grain offerings,I will not accept them,Nor will I regard your fattened peace offerings.Take away from Me the noise of your songs,For I will not hear the melody of your stringed instruments.But let justice run down like water,And righteousness like a mighty stream."
- Traumatic C-Section: In God's "The Reason You Suck" Speech to the people of Ammon in Amos 1:13:For three transgressions of the Ammonites,and for four, I will not revoke the punishment,because they ripped open the pregnant women of Gilead,in order to enlarge their border.
- Unusual Euphemism: "Cleanness of teeth" in Chapter 4, which is what God gave the people of Israel, is one for famine.
- Your Cheating Heart: When Amos is told by the king of Israel not to prophesy in his kingdom, Amos prophesies to the king that his wife will become a harlot in the city, among other disasters that will befall him and his royal family.