Thom was a young man who wanted to be an astronaut, or as he put it "awesome in space". Celia was his girlfriend, who just wanted to be a "roboticist" — and for him to not be freaked out by her Cyborg Hand. This caused them to break up and go their separate ways — but it still left Celia angry. And with her robots, in a few decades she was capable of taking her anger out on the world. Seeing as these Humongous Mechas are just too tough to defeat, the only apparent means of defeating them is to override Celia's memory of the break up 40 years ago.
The fourth Blender Open Movie project, director Ian Hubert's Tears of Steel differs from the previous Blender Foundation films in that it showcases Blender's motion capture abilities, meaning it is the first Blender film to feature live actors. You can watch it here, or even download it here.
This short features examples of:
- Arm Cannon: The engineers have pulse weapons attached to their wrist.
- Artificial Limbs: Thom is freaked out by Celia's robotic hand.
- Big "NO!": The engineer with the broken glasses pulls one of these when the abort button fails.
- Black Dude Dies First: Averted, the black guy is actually the last human shown as a post-credits bonus, and is very much alive.
- Exactly Exty Years Ago: It's been 40 years since Thom and Celia broke up.
- Freeze-Frame Bonus: 6 minutes into the film is a blackboard with all the different memories they've tried to impose on Celia. The board is full of short suggestions like "Interpretive Dance", "Chocolate", and "1. a rose - a. 2 roses - b. a dozen roses".
- Gainax Ending
- Humongous Mecha: The mooks. Celia became one too.
- Love Makes You Crazy: It appears that Celia became the Big Bad because Thom was "freaked out by her robotic hand".
- More Dakka: The black guy has a really cool machine gun.
- Ominous Pipe Organ: The scene is set in a building which seems to be an old abandoned church with a large organ glooming on the wall. It never makes any sound though.
- Time Skip: The main part of the story happens 40 years after the beginning scene (which is "replayed" later).
- 20 Minutes into the Future: As usual for a Cyberpunk setting.
- Woobie, Destroyer of Worlds: Celia takes her anger at Thom out on the world.