Cold Comes the Night is a 2013 Crime Thriller starring Bryan Cranston, Logan Marshall-Green, and Alice Eve and directed by Tze Chun. Chloe (Eve) is a single mother who runs a seedy motel. Topo (Cranston) is a former hitman, now going blind, who is doing a job for his old employer, ferrying a bundle of cash hidden in his car. When he stops at Chloe's motel, his driver gets into a fatal altercation with a local prostitute, the car is impounded, and he decides that Chloe will serve as his eyes and his hands to retrieve the money.
This film exhibits the following tropes:
- Batter Up!: Billy's wife catches Chloe in their home and goes after her with a baseball bat.
- Corrupt Cop: Early in the film, we see Billy turning a blind eye to prostitution at the motel in return for kickbacks. Soon, we learn that he also sells impounded cars for parts and he found the money.
- A Macguffin Full Of Money: The central prize everyone is fighting for is a duffel bag stuffed with $100,000 in cash.
- Professional Killer: Topo's former line of work.
- Shovel Strike: Early in the film, we see Chloe carry a snow shovel when she thinks there's going to be trouble. Later in the film, we get to see her use it.
- Sinister Shades: Topo spots a nice set to hide his blindness.
- Worst Aid: Billy should really have known better than to have pulled that glass out of his neck.