Bloodlands is a 2017 Albanian Folk Horror film. It concerns a family of farmers getting in a feud with a coven of witches.
This film contains examples of:
- Big Bad: Drita, a Wicked Witch terrorizing a family.
- Feuding Families: The film concerns a working class family getting in a blood feud with a witches' coven. As it turns out this has been going for longer than the original film, as the head witch was murderd by the mother's great-grandfather.
- The Generation Gap: One of the fundamental themes of the movie is old-school Albanian familial patriarchy clashing with modern European cosmopolitanism.
- I'm a Humanitarian: The witches eat human flesh.
- Is That What They're Calling It Now?: The daughter says this to imply that her mother's concept of picking her battles is simple cowardice.
- Our Liches Are Different: These are witches brought back by a desire for revenge. Their power is sustained by a pile of flesh that's maintained by killing people, the rest of whom they eat to sustain their existence. They appear normal at first, but their skin turns charcoal black with age, and they can resurrect people into their coven.
- The Place
- Portmantitle: "Blood"+"Lands"
- Wicked Witch: The main antagonists area coven of undead witches terrorizing a family.