A man who loves animated films directed towards a mature audience browses the internet one day and discovers an online forum dedicated to films that were mistaken as being targeted towards children. One such film in question is the infamous disaster film When the Wind Blows based on the graphic novel of the same name written by Raymond Briggs. Upon discovering that there was a darker ending to the film, the narrator decides to watch the "secret ending" via a link.
The story can be found here.
The fanfic provides examples of:
- Body Horror: The Bloggs develop welts all over their bodies as in the film, but it is also shown that Ron and his family were fused together in reference to Jim assuring his wife that Ron and his family would always stick together.
- Despair Event Horizon: Unlike the film where Jim slightly had hope that the Powers That Be would save him and his wife, in the alternate ending, Jim dies whilst holding his wife's lifeless body, realizing that the Powers That Be have been destroyed and all hope was lost.
- Downer Ending: In the alternate ending of an already depressing film, Jim shoots Hilda in the back of her head to spare her the pain of realizing that help would never come.
- Driven to Madness: In the film, Jim is harassed by an inner voice likely being his conscience for lying to his wife about the truth of their situation.
- I'm a Humanitarian: The Bloggs' food ration, or whatever remained after the bomb dropped, quickly run thin, forcing the couple to eat the corpses of those killed by the blasts. Earlier, Jim contemplated killing his wife in his hungered mind but relented at the last moment.
- Laughing Mad: Ron does this upon the realization that he and his family would die horribly from the nuclear explosion.
- No Party Like a Donner Party: The Bloggs are forced to eat a deceased family's burnt corpses to stave off starvation.
- Together in Death: Like in the original film, the Bloggs ultimately meet their end.