Vanity Fair is a Magazine, Not a Book is Oxenstierna D. Yuki-Rin's parody of the book Vanity Fair. In the parody, after taking a career class, Kagami Hiiragi becomes a governess to the adopted kids of the Straw Hats, who include the Eleven Supernovas and Ichigo Kurosaki, who was adopted into the Straw Hats because his dad is in parenting classes after a drunken night. Together with the Supernovas, Ichigo, and the the Church of Haruhiism, a fake religious cult set up by Haruhi Suzumiya, Kagami vows to get Ichigo back to his family.
The first chapter of the fanfic was posted in November 2010 and the last chapter was posted in February of 2011. It can be found here.
This fanfic contains examples of:
- Added Alliterative Appeal: Chapter eleven is titled, "Crapshoot. Crap Shack. Crappy Party".
- Chick Magnet: Sanji, Holland, and Roy. They even fight over who is the bigger chick magnet.
- Cultured Badass:
- Kartik Abingdon, one of the authoress' OCs. After the members of Urahara Shoten hear that Kagami got fired from her governess job, this brief exchange between Kartik and Urahara happens.Urahara: [bangs fists on the table out of anger]
Kartik: Hey! Show some decorum here! You're not the only one eating dinner!
- Kartik is also the same cultured man who helped defeat Team Rocket in the previous chapter.
- Kartik Abingdon, one of the authoress' OCs. After the members of Urahara Shoten hear that Kagami got fired from her governess job, this brief exchange between Kartik and Urahara happens.
- Epileptic Trees: What did the Supernovas do to get adopted by the Straw Hats? What is the Church of Haruhiism really about? Why did the Shinsengumi decide to adopt Yuzu and Karin until their dad finished parenting classes?
- Good Parents: The Shinsengumi act as good foster parents to Yuzu and Karin.
- Heroic BSoD: Kagami has one after The Straw Hats fire her because she managed to have Ichigo and Isshin together against the Straw Hats' wishes. Fortunately, Kagami gets her job back, but, not without the help of an angry mob.
- Jerkass: Nami and Oliver Mira Armstrong.
- Kill It with Fire:
- Over the course of fourteen chapters, two houses burn down. One of them was a supporting character's house, and the other was the Straw Hats' mansion, which was part of the final chapter.
- In chapter nine, Roy tries this approach during his fight with Sanji.
- Local Hangout: The Haruhiists seem to hang out at either Central, the Shinsengumi HQ, Target, or Wal-mart.
- Loophole Abuse: Even though Isshin can't see Ichigo because of his parenting services, Ichigo and Isshin see each other in the Soul Society, which is a different plane of existence.
- Meddling Parents: The Straw Hats are meddling foster parents to Ichigo.
- My God, What Have I Done?: After Nami fires Kagami from being the governess to Ichigo and the Supernovas, an angry mob on her front lawn makes her see the error of her ways and she re-hires Kagami.
- Oh, Crap!: Ichigo has several of these moments throught the fic.
- Quirky Mini Boss Squad:
- Refuge in Audacity: The Haruhiists take pride in this trope, whether they're forming angry mobs or pulling pranks at Wal-mart.
- Slobs Vs Snobs: Haruhiists (slobs) vs. Straw Hats (snobs).