Six months after the events of NieR: Automata, Commander White is revived using a backup to find a radically changed world. The Machine War has ended, the Machines are either dead or have set out to the stars, the Androids all know that humanity is effectively extinct, and everyone is trying to move onto their lives. As the Androids try to set off and find their own destiny, they are interrupted when a ship full of lobster-like beings crashes into Earth and notify them that there are far more aliens out in the stars...
To Inherit the Future is a Fusion Fic between NieR: Automata and Mass Effect, written by Kronecker Delta The story explores the ramifications of the Androids interacting with the wider galactic community and changing the course of history forever as they achieve their own destiny throughout the years.
Beware of unmarked spoilers.
To Inherit the Future contains examples of:
- Applied Phlebotinum: In addition to the presence of Element Zero in the Mass Effect universe, there is also the Demonic Element which allows for the manipulation of energy from alternate universes (a.k.a magic). The Androids typically use it as a power source as well as for the creation of Pod Programs, among other uses.
- Bash Brothers: Androids and Turians during the Krogan Rebellions. The respect gained from fighting together even resulted in some Turian high brass expressing a belief that it would be nice if the Androids replaced the Asari on the Council.
- Brainwashed and Crazy: Grendel informs the Citadel races that this was why the other Queens become overly hostile, but does not know the cause.
- Broken Pedestal: At the start of the story, it's clear that 2B no longer thinks fondly of Commander White. She also refuses to see her because she doesn't want to hear whatever justifications she'll make for her actions.
- Continuation: The story begins six months after the true ending of the game and jumps in years at certain parts to show the Androids development as a race.
- First Contact: Technically 'third contact' after the 6-12 Incident and the arrival of the Machine Lifeforms' creators, but the Rachni act as Earth's first non-hostile alien encounter as well as their introduction to the galactic community.
- Fusion Fic: The story is identified as a fusion, as the worlds of Mass Effect and NieR are set within the same universe.
- Hive Queen: Grendel is the Earth Rachnis queen and has developed a relationship with the Androids, assisting them with rebuilding efforts and other tasks.
- Humble Hero: 2B tried to tone down the extranet's embellishment of her accomplishments after some of them became memetic, but her humble demeanor and approach only furthered her status as an In-Universe Memetic Badass.
- Loose Canon: The side materials made by fellow readers for the story on Spacebattles have questionable canonicity. The author admits that some of them are canon, but they're mostly just for fun.
- Masquerade: The Citadel Council decides to hide the nature of the Androids both to avoid social issues and to deny the Krogan any information. By the end of the Krogan rebellions it started to become an open secret.
- Memetic Badass: In one of the shorts made for the story, 2B becomes this In-Universe after a photo of her casually reading in Grednel's presence leaked onto the extranet, resulting in "2B facts" to surface in the same vein as Chuck Norris Facts.
- Outside-Context Problem: The Demonic Element (maso) and the usage of magic that it allows is unlike anything the Citadel Council has seen. Due to the terrifying possibility of it being weaponized by the Krogan or other malicious actors, they take pains to ensure that any information related to it is locked behind the highest clearance possible.
- Ridiculously Human Robots: The Androids were intentionally designed to resemble humans in various ways, with their circuitry mimicking human organs and having blood in their bodies.
- Sadistic Choice: Part 7 starts with an Ethical Judgement Test of early androids via the Trolley Problem, with the Android answering that they will jump in front of the train.
- Spared by the Adaptation: Commander White is still alive thanks to having been backed up and transferred to a new body. Although the specific details are vague, Emil is also alive due to A2 and 9S very briefly working together to save him.
- Super Soldier: Compared to the rest of the Galaxy, the Androids are these, more than capable of overwhelming the Krogan.
- Time Skip: The story begins six months after the events of NieR: Automata, and decades pass between many chapters.