The Price of Revenge is a Batman fanfiction created IndigoElle.
When Jason returns to Gotham to seek revenge, he finds that Batman is off-world and Tim Drake, the third Robin, has been captured by the Joker. And this change his plans for...
This Fan Fic provides examples of:
- Adult Fear: Tim's disappearance is this for the Batfamily, considering what happened to the second Robin. Once learning of Tim's disapperance Dick Grayson returns immediately to Gotham to aid his father in the search.
- Broken Pedestal: Bruce's refusal to kill the Joker is this for Jason.
- Rebuilt Pedestal: By chapter 26, Bruce and Jason have a frank discussion
- Child Prodigy: Damian Wayne who was able to identify the Red Hood as Robin's "kidnappers".
- Tim Drake also counts. Bruce believes that Tim might even be smarter than him, which makes Batman wonder if he can win in a battle of wits.
- Don't You Dare Pity Me!: Jason, which he despises when Tim pities him for thinking Bruce didn't care about Jason's death.
- Family of Choice: The Batfamily, something that Damian doesn't get initially.
- Gilligan Cut: As Jason tells Tim that Bruce doesn't care about his sidekicks, the fic also shows the frantic search for Tim by Batman and Nightwing.
- Gone Horribly Right: After kidnapping Tim, Jason taunted him by assuring that Batman wouldn't waste time seeking for him and replace Robin as soon as possible. When Tim finally gains the opportunity to meet with Bruce, they are interrupted by Damian in full Robin costume. Even Jason was horrified to see his prediction apparently coming true.
- Jason also played with the possibility of converting Tim to his way of dealing with crime. Following the aforementioned event, Tim took the philosophy and ran with it to such an extreme Jason ultimately freaked and enlisted Batman's help.
- Greater-Scope Villain: Talia al Ghul never appears in the story proper, but if she hadn't picked to settle her debt towards Batman by resurrecting Jason via Lazarus Pit and sending Damian to Gotham, the whole clusterfuck would have been avoided.
- Heartbroken Badass: Bruce Wayne, since Jason's death. Tim's disapperance causes him to return to his loner vigilante days before he recruited the boy as the second Robin.
- Like a Son to Me: Tim to Bruce, who planned to adopt him before his sudden disappearance. He finally does it in chapter 26.
- Lima Syndrome: Red Hood genuinely wanted to mentally destroy his replacement, but finds himself liking the darn kid more and more.
- Luke I Am Your Son: Damian Wayne says this when he shows up in chapter eight.
- Noodle Incident: The off-world events with the League of Justice that prevented Batman from paying attention to what was happening in Gotham.
- Manipulative Bastard: Jason. Tim too to a far greater extent. He planned to kill Captain Boomerang and learned that Jason was working with Bruce, as well being aware of Jason's previous manipulations.
- Papa Wolf: Batman, which actually surprises Jason.
- Poor Communication Kills: The entire plot would be avoided if the characters just sat down and talked.
- It finally happens in chapters 25 and 26, with long overdue conversations and a reconciliation of sorts between Jason and Bruce.
- Rational Fic: Has elements of this. The characters avoid the Conflict Ball and (mostly Jason) the Villain Ball. While Bruce disagrees with Jason's methods, he does acknowledge that they work and he's willing to extent an olive branch to him.
- Replacement Goldfish / Legacy Character: Deconstructed. Jason, a result of his self-hatred, saw himself as replaceable and tries to teach Tim to think like this. It's Gone Horribly Right.
- The Resenter: Jason Todd towards Tim Drake, though subverted as he slowly lets go of the anger.
- Revenge: Jason's original plan was to turn Tim against Bruce but it falls apart when the two eventually bond. Though Jason gives up the revenge plan, Tim now wants revenge.
- Spoiled Brat: Damian Wayne.
- Unwitting Instigator of Doom: By refusing to stay behind in the Batcave to follow Dick while wearing the Robin costume, Damian inadvertantly validated Jason's theory that Tim would be replaced as soon as possible in the Batclan.