A Fix Fic of The Big Bang Theory, written during season 3. It conforms rigidly to the narrative structure of the Monomyth, or The Hero's Journey.
This work contains examples of:
- An Axe to Grind : Penny has a Slayer scythe, which is really a Blade on a Stick.
- Badass Bookworm: Sheldon turns out to be quite dangerous with weaponry. Implausible Fencing Powers are averted, since these are only LARP weapons, though.
- Battle Couple : Penny and Sheldon. Also Beth and Sven.
- Chekhov's Gun: Checkhov's trebuchet, in this case. Initially mention in ch8, it makes an actual appearance in ch35.
- Chess Motifs: In a case of Smart People Play Chess, Sheldon covertly declares war by means of a game. Also a Shout-Out to the TV Western series 'Paladin - Have Gun, Will Travel'. Described as a 'knight without armour', this gentleman gunslinger had a chess-piece as his calling card.
- Cool Sword: Penny gives Sheldon a LARP version of Stormbringer.
- The Hero's Journey: The premise of the entire fanfic.
- Heroes Prefer Swords: Though it is also established show canon that Sheldon can 'shoot close enough to a raccoon that it craps itself', and owns a crossbow. 'Excalibur' is an actual make of crossbow, and the author had to put that in, once discovered.
- Knight In Shining Armour: Sheldon. He even gets a night-time vigil in full (plastic, paintball) armour before he accepts his destiny.
- LARP: The Stormfist War-Guild are a bunch of people who have decided to move on from dice and debate to actually smacking each other around with fake weaponry.
- Rule of Three: Beth, Deena and Raquel function as a variation on The Hecate Sisters, a version of the Triple Goddess as Warrior-Goddess. Also, in a more straightforward way, when Sheldon's sister, mother and grandmother all ask Penny to take care of him.
- Smooch of Victory: Also doubles as the Call to Adventure.
- Tarot Motifs: The Sword, the Spear, the Cup and the Coin.