So you're not as human as you thought you were is a Doctor Who AU in which "John Smith" is a semi-functional graduate student with a solid friendship with Donna Noble, who inexplicably finds himself turned into an alien with two hearts and the ability to sense time, among other things. Also known as the Tupperware AU.
Can be found here
- Amnesiac Hero: John
- Alternate Universe Fic: One where the Tenth Doctor uses the Chameleon Arc in the modern day, and meets Donna that way.
- Asexuality: John is asexual, and aromantic.
- Cloud Cuckoo Landers Minder: Donna puts up with so much for John.
- Kleptomaniac Hero: John regularly steals things from his university, as well as IKEA (leading to the Fan Nickname for the fic, the Tupperware AU, tups for short).
- Painful Transformation: The change from human to Time Lord biology is mentally very taxing, though it mostly manifests as sensory overload.
- Sensory Overload: John regularly experience this, especially after he turns into an alien.
- And I Must Scream: John finds out he technically does not exist and his past was fake, merely memories given to him by something sinister. He has memories of living with his family but cannot be traced to having actually existed before 2004. He is a fake person who woke up in a body that isn't his. He has no past of his own and is condemned to die whenever the psychelock breaks and the Doctor returns.
- Breaking the Fourth Wall: The chapter where John and Donna go to meet Nayomi has a group of teens laugh when a barista yells "Adam!" -the social media platform where the "Adam!" video is from will not be released for several years in the story's timeline.
- Funny Background Event: The previously mentioned shout of "Adam!" in the cafe.
- Musical Spoiler: The song paired with Chapter 3 is "Omen" by Mother Mother. You can imagine there's no good omens here.
- Canada Does Not Exist: Canada does not exist.