Shadowchasers: Into Darkness is a Shadowchasers fanfiction set in and around Atlantic City.
Set a year after the events of Shadowchasers: Phobos, it follows the story of Ashla Da'rok and Leslie Garett as they face off against a threat from Ashla's past.
How will this end?
This Fic includes the following tropes:
- Barrier Maiden: Ashla qualifies to an extent. It's revealed in chapter 2 that she was intended to be Lolth's Proxy and was given part of her power. As a result, her mother who wound up becoming the Proxy, but she can't have all the power afforded to her as a god's proxy as long as Ashla is alive.
- Big Bad: While she hasn't appeared yet, Nayriss Da'rok is implied to be this.
- Body Horror: In FNAF fashion, the Animaltronic monsters. This is especially notable in the Nightmarionette, who is stated to have human eyes (a reference to what happens when you brighten up its kill screen).
- Came Back Strong: Nayriss Da'Rok started out as an ordinary High Priestess as Lolth and came back as her Proxy.
- Cameo: A strange duelist uses cards based on the animatronics in Five Nights At Freddys.
- Dark Is Not Evil: As usual, Ashla is a Dark Elf Shadowchaser.
- Foreshadowing: A subtle example, but the title of chapter 3 is "Just Gold," while already being a reference to Five Nights at Freddy's, its also foreshadowing the opponent's identity as a duelbot and as being a distraction for the Shadowchasers.
- Idiosyncratic Episode Naming: All the chapters so far are named after songs, and part of the lyrics appear at the end of each chapter.
- Joisey: The fanfic is set in New Jersey, most notably in Atlantic City.
- The Jersey Devil: While not stated to be the original one, there is a Demon in chapter 1 that takes on its persona.
- Leitmotif: Much like in Five Nights At Freddys 2, the Puppet card is accompanied by the song "Old Grandfather Clock."
- The Man Behind the Man: Lolth likely qualifies because Nayriss is her Proxy.
- Noodle Incident: The Raivan Crisis, all that's mentioned about it is that it involved a renegade member of Morgana's Kin.
- Only Known by Their Nickname: Played with for the Jersey Devil, who is referred to as such until the end of chapter 1.
- Revenge: Its suggested that part of the reason Nayriss is after Ashla is for revenge.
- To Five Nights at Freddy's:
- Obviously the Nightmare monsters used by the mysterious figure are the Nightmare Animatronics from Five Nights At Freddys 4.
- When Ashla answers the phone call from Kira, Kira starts out by saying "Hello, Hello?" the typical opening dialogue from the Phone Guy.
- Every time a card is placed under the spell card "Call For Help," the dialogue from Phone Guy's calls in Five Nights At Freddys 1 is heard.
- When Springtrap is summoned, it struggles to its feet similar to how it acted in the Five Nights At Freddys 3 trailer.
- The image for the card "Call for Help" features a shot from an animated music video of the song Just Gold depicting a phone with purple fingerprints.
- To Markiplier's Five Nights at Freddy's 2 Lets Play:
- Leslie thinks to herself that she better not wake the baby when Omicron summons the Puppet. This doubles as one to Five Nights at Freddy's 4's preview images for the Halloween Expansion, where one was named "Don't wake the baby."
- To 2001: A Space Odyssey:
- Omicron paraphrases HAL-9000's final words when it says, "I'm scared Leslie, will I dream?"
- Leslie tells Ally of Justice Decisive Armor to attack Springtrap before Omicron starts singing Daisy.
- To I, Robot:
- Omicron says "My Dueling is Undeniable" before dying.
- To Game Theory:
- Leslie comments that whoever designed the card "Call for Help" probably believed the theory that Phone Guy is Purple Guy, which is one of Mat Pat's main FNAF theories.
- To Five Nights at Freddy's:
- This Is Gonna Suck: Said word for word by Ashla right before taking a powerful direct attack.