Love is one feeling that can never be taken from someone's heart. No matter how many years of separation, no matter what wrongs were done in the past, no matter how much enmity exists between two ponies, love will always stand; at least that's what Nightmare Moon is hoping for. 700 years ago was the last time she had seen her sister Celestia, and her departing words had simply been 'I love you'. Now, after so long, Nightmare Moon's heart longs for its other half; and thus, she has brought Celestia back from the far away, magically void lands she cast her to so long ago. Now, she wonders if her sister will ever find it in her heart to forgive her for what she's done, and if their lives together can ever resume as they once had.
My Only Sunshine is a My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic Hurt/Confort Fan Fic written by CoffeBean. It takes place in an Alternate Universe where Nightmare Moon won and never banished in the first place; instead Celestia is the one banished but 700 years later a regretful Nightmare Moon tries to makes amends by bringing Celestia back home.
Has a stand-alone prequel, Ancient Hearts which is a romantic fic between Celestia and Luna.
This My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic Fan Fic provides examples of:
- Alternate Universe
- The Atoner: Nightmare Moon regrets banishing her sister and tries to makes amends, but ultimately failed in that regard, despite being genuinely remorseful.
- Bittersweet Ending: In the end, Celestia recovered her magic, revived the Elements of Harmony and brought back the day, but Philomena's Senseless Sacrifice left the relationship between Celestia and Luna heavily strained.
- Broken Bird: Princess Celestia, as a result for failing to stop Nightmare Moon; she lost everything: banished from her home, magic taken away, everypony she knows is dead and Equestria is under eternal night.
- Could Say It, But...: Deconstructed. Turns out that Nightmare Moon could've return Celestia her power, but didn't due to fear of getting attack and even lied to her saying that she can't gave her magic back, it backfires tragically. See Heroic Sacrifice and Senseless Sacrifice below.
- Despair Event Horizon: Zigzagged. Celestia gains many a Hope Spot through out out the story due to her conflicted thoughts with her sister.
- Empty Shell: The story starts out with Celestia in this state, she snaps out of it after a tearful reunion with Philomena.
- First Time in the Sun: After 700 years of eternal night, Nightmare Moon, now known as Luna, allows Celestia to bring back the day as a final attempt to makes amends with her sister; she even remarks that she has forgotten how beautiful the day is.
- Fish out of Temporal Water: Being banished for 700 years, Celestia is usually amazed by the new technology, or would be if it wasn't for her state of depression.
- Forgiveness: The main conflict between Celestia and Nightmare Moon.
- Forgiven, but Not Forgotten: Played with. Celestia states that she'll never forgive Nightmare Moon/Luna for everything she has done to her, yet she's willing to try to love her again.
- Go Out with a Smile: Philomena has one after she gave her life.
- Gone Mad From The Isolation: Celestia big time. When she's brought back she's an Empty Shell, Philomena help her recover from this state, and suffers from Hallucinations and Post-Traumatic-Stress-Disorder from her prison.
- Hallucinations: Celestia sometimes ends up in a state where she thinks she's in the past before her banishment; she even admits that she would rather live in a dream than deal with reality.
- She has a particular brutal one when she's taking a shower and the cold water makes her remember the harsh cold rain from her prison.
- Heroic Sacrifice: Philomena gave her life so that Celestia had enough power to revive the Elements of Harmony, however...
- Senseless Sacrifice: It turns out that it could've been avoided had Nightmare Moon not lied about being unable to give back Celestia her magic, this revelation enrages Celestia as she's unable to revive Philomena.
- Loyal Animal Companion: Philomena, she's constantly helping and supporting Celestia, especially at the end where she gave her own life to help Celestia revive the Elements of Harmony.
- The Night That Never Ends: Since Nightmare Moon won, Equestria stays in the dark for 700 years by the time Celestia returns; Celestia tries to bring back the day.
- Sleep Cute: Celestia and Philomena sleep together through out the story, Philomena likes to sleep on Celestia's back. Once the sun is raised again, Celestia conform a crying and remorseful Luna by sleeping with her.
- Suspiciously Specific Denial: When Celestia and Iris pressure Nightmare Moon into giving Celestia her magic back, Nightmare responds by saying that she doesn't know how to give back her magic; Iris doesn't believe her.
- This Is Unforgivable!: After it's reveal that Philomena's Heroic Sacrifice could've been avoided, Celestia does not forgive Nightmare Moon for all the suffering she went through because of her actions, lies and inaction.
- Ye Olde Butcherede Englishe: Celestia doesn't speak proper old English, unlike the prequel.
The stand-alone prequel, Ancient Hearts, provides examples of:
- Flowery Elizabethan English: Unlike many fanfics out there, all characters in the story talks with proper old English.
- Sibling Incest: The prequel focus on the relationship between Celestia and Luna.