"You've probably heard this story before. The one, or maybe a few hundred, about someone getting transported to another world. Usually, they get some weird power, maybe a waifu or three, have a fun adventure, hopefully grow as a person, defeat the Demon King...That sort of thing.Nice, cozy, simple.Oh! Or maybe it's one where the dashing/beautiful protagonist arrives in a world of Heroes and Villains! Perhaps they get to meet their favorite characters from childhood nostalgia, strike down vile foes straight off the slightly worn pages of a well-read comic book... Save the day, get the girl, stand on the tall building looking out over the shining city, cape flapping majestically in the wind...Heh. I suppose that one is the closest to my story. It's got all the things one could ask for. Mighty kings, terrible tyrants, men of steel, dark knights, order facing off against chaos... Justice and Doom locked in an eternal struggle for dominance as will and hope beat back against the tide of entropy and ruin...
The sort of tale that every Superhero fan dreams, no matter how deep down the yearning is hidden, of taking part in.Of course... one thing you must always remember... is to be careful what you wish for. Because sometimes, you get what you want... just not how you ever could have imagined."
For Love of Evil (not to be confused with the IncarnationsofImmortality series which inspired the name) is a DC SI story. A story where one woman falls through time and space, before being reborn as a newborn girl. It sounds all nice and standard at this point.
Except her mother is Suli, and her father is Darkseid. She has been reborn as Ash, firstborn sibling of Kalibak and child of the only woman Darkseid has ever loved. She is on Apokolips. In the time when Darkseid's mother, Heggra, rules. With days at best before Heggra will assassinate her mother.
And this is just how it starts, promising a fanfic story that will explore through time and space in the DC Universe, with friends made, foes fought, cosmic adventures abound... and worlds will burn.
So says Ash.
This fic can be found on SpaceBattles
This fanfic provides examples of:
- Adaptational Badass: Kalibak. With the support of a sister who is willing to encourage him and nudge him in the right direction, he is far more potent and powerful than he usually is portrayed.
- Blue-and-Orange Morality: Ash sees things through a sort of narrative vision. She sees people who are more 'important' more prominently. Those who lack this are at best devoid of colour or at worst black cutouts.
- Chewing the Scenery: While this can be expected with New Gods, the most prominent user of this trope is Mongul, son of Monglorious X, ruler of War World, Lord of the Fight-Pits, Master of the Arenas, Grand Slave-Master, and Champion of Champions. Who announces his father's titles in such a manner whenever he mentions his father, and this is just the start.
- A close second is Glorious Godfrey, of course. If he was more prominent in the story, he might have the top position.
- Steppenwolf, while not to the same level, is a close third.
- Colony Drop: Darkseid telekinetically rips out all the Armagettos from Apokolips, fuses them together into a giant fist, and drops it on Heggra's bunker from orbit.
- Commonality Connection: During her Out-of-Body Experience, Ash meets a pre-Infinite Crisis Superboy-Prime and the two of them bond over their shared origins and talking about pop-culture like a pair of nerds.
- Cute Clumsy Girl: Goodness, the younger Granny Goodness, turns out to be this outside of combat. Her introduction to the story has falling flat on her face after tripping over her own feet.
- Even Evil Has Loved Ones: As the name if the story implies, despite being the physical embodiment of tyranny itself Darkseid genuinely loved Suli and cares about his children. He's understandably pissed when he learns Heggra killed Suli while she is in the process of trying to beat Ash to death.
- Expy: The Ch'i Empire are outright noted in and out of universe by Ash as being a DC equivalent of the Ta'u Empire.
- From Nobody to Nightmare: Glorious Godfrey manages to inspire one of the Lowlies, one of the only ones not so beaten down that he CAN inspire them, to speak with him and volunteer to help. He names her after the first word she speaks to him: Goodness. As in Granny Goodness.
- Halloween Episode: A sidestory showing a Dark Multiverse version of Ash.
- Hate Sink: Heggra. Taking a figure mostly restricted to the lore and backstory of Darkseid, and blending in elements of the canon Granny Goodness and Professor Umbridge creates an utterly hateable being, even by the standards of Apokolips. When your most prominent action in the story is to kill the one woman Darkseid loved as she was 'Making him soft' and then trying to beat his daughter to death, it becomes very easy to see her as the absolute worst character in the story.
- Medium Awareness: Played with. Ash's divine New God senses combined with her meta-knowledge means that she's aware that she's in a comic, but not that she's in a self insert fic.
- Running Gag:
- In the thread itself, referring to Darkseid as Dadseid.
- Mongul will, without fail, insist on hammily announcing his father's titles whenever mentioning his father.
- X'hal has an uncanny knack of sneaking up on Ash and hugging her.
- Ash's mental commands and switches tend to be represented as... a duck being startled.
"YHU FOOLS! APOKOLIPTIAN SCIENCE IS ZE BEST IN ZE MULTIVERSE! YHET LIKE VITH EVERYSING ELSE... NAHT ALL VEAPONRY ISS CREATED EQUAL!"
- As Heggra is in the process of beating Ash to death she yells at her to THINK.
- Virmin Vundabar at one point flat out paraphrases Stroheim while brandishing a chest mounted energy cannon.
- Training from Hell:
- Okaara specializes in this, the initiation test being to survive traveling through its monster infested jungle.
- Steppenwolf trains people this way. It's mentioned that a heavily watered down version of his training was used by the Spartans.
- Villain Protagonist: Goes somewhat without saying. Even if she is a good person, Ash is still a New God of Apokolips.
- We Have Become Complacent: Much to his horror, Steppenwolf discovers that he has grown soft during Heggra's rule, which nearly gets him killed when he's fighting her.
- You Have GOT to Be Kidding Me!: Ash has this reaction when she realizes that the Ch'i are expies of the Ta'u.