The Three Sisters is a My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic fanfic that takes place after the royal wedding. It now has three sequels, which are in order, What if: Rarity from The Three Sisters met with Chrysalis, The Three Sisters: Extended Family, and The Three Sisters: Like Fudge.
Shining Armor and Cadence's spell reveals something completely unexpected as it expels Chrysalis and her changelings out of Canterlot. A secret kept from everypony for several years...
Tropes in The Three Sisters:
- Abusive Parent: Queen Metamorpha makes it pretty clear that if her children disappoint her, she'd kill them.
- And There Was Much Rejoicing: When Chrysalis' mother was killed by a griffon assassin, the celebrations lasted for weeks. Chrysalis states that had the griffon been a changeling, the assassin would have been made the new ruler on the spot.
- Alternate Universe:
- The story follows canon directly until Chrysalis is repelled from Canterlot, at which point Rarity's status as a changeling is revealed.
- And as it turns out, there was a divergence on the day the Mane Six got their cutie marks, as Rarity, as well as the changeling sisters Cocoon, Chrysalis and Pupa were involved in an accident that forced Cocoon to sacrifice her own life to fuse the fatally injured Pupa and Rarity so that they could survive.
- Bad Boss: Chrysalis sees no problem with "disposing" of a drone with a broken leg.
- Didn't Think This Through: Chrysalis's daughters quickly realize that kidnapping and bringing Twilight Sparkle, personal protege of Celestia and practically a daughter to her, into their lair might not have been the best idea
- Poor Communication Kills: Events of Extended Family set off because Arachne, Araci and Phasmi think that Chrysalis had decided to make Thysa the next queen and will kill them. Which is exact opposite of Chrysalis' intentions.
- Digging Yourself Deeper: Rainbow Dash's attempts to compliment Rarity fail spectacularly.
- Emotion Eater: As Rarity explains, Changelings don't need to steal love, especially not with friends and family nearby.
- Family Theme Naming: Chrysalis and her sisters Pupa and Cocoon are all named after transitory stages in insects.
- Fusion Dance: Cocoon sacrifices herself to fuse Pupa and Rarity together in order to save them both.
- Heroic Sacrifice: Cocoon sacrifices herself to fuse Pupa and Rarity together in order to save them both.
- I'm a Humanitarian: The Diamond Dogs have no issue with eating sentient creatures, like Rarity and Pupa.
- Modest Royalty: Rarity doesn't want to be called a princess, even though she is one.
- Obsessed with Food: Rarity just loves fruit bats. She didn't know what her favorite food in the hive was called and when told, her first reaction is to be horrified she never tried to catch and cook the fruit bat colony in Sweet Apple Acres.
- In Extended Family, Rarity forgets the plan to sneak into the hive and drops her disguise by accident when she gets a chance to snack on them
- Sweetie Bell seems to also have preferences for them in Extended Family
- The Coup: Three daughters of Chrysalis launch one in Extended Family. It's not very well thought out.
- The Chessmaster: Chrysalis. Or at least that is what her daughters think. In reality she is content on watching three of them make fools of themselves, having done nothing to actually stop them until the end
- The Reveal: Rarity is, and always has been, a Changeling.
- Unishment: Chrysalis decrees that her rebellious daughters no-longer need to go on pointless quest or compete. Instead of fighting to the death, they shall rule together after she passes. Actual proper punishment comes in form of civil service in Ponyville.
- Would Hurt a Child: The Diamond Dog pack are perfectly willing to kill, cook and eat two fillies.