Stand-Up persona of Australian musician Gregg Turkington. One of the pioneers of Anti-Humor, you can compare him best to the foul mouthed audience insulting persona Tony Clifton done by Andy Kaufman. Anti-comedy relies on people doing unfunny things to funny effect; Hamburger employs outdated ex-wife and "Why did the chicken cross the road?" jokes with abysmal timing.
Something of a regular on Tim and Eric Awesome Show, Great Job!. Tim & Eric were thinking of making a Game Show parody starring him called The New Big Ball, but the project was kiboshed by the Adult Swim execs. The pilot episode is available here.
His act includes examples of:
- Biting-the-Hand Humor: Regularly insults his audience.
- Black Comedy Rape
- Blatant Lies: He follows up many of his jokes with, "that was in the news," or "I stole that joke from [celebrity]."
- He has claimed in his live shows that he performs 365 days a year, sometimes even more than one show a day.
- Catchphrase: "...But thaaaaaaaaat's my life!" among others.
- Not so much a catch phrase, but he's recently taken to whimpering like a dog when a joke doesn't go over well.
- In Name Only: Great Phone Calls is an album of Prank Calls made by Gregg Turkington, but was re-released as a Neil Hamburger album. This was where the character of Neil Hamburger originated, but that's just one of several personae that Turkington adopts throughout the album.
- Overly-Long Gag: One of his more (in)famous bits involves asking the audience for three or four minutes straight why Courtney Love won't be having any cranberry sauce with her Christmas dinner this year.
- This has recently evolved into an overly long series of Incredibly Lame Pun knock-knock jokes seriously lamenting the death of Whitney Houston.
- "WHY DO SO MANY GAY GAY GAY GAY GAY GAY GAY GAY GAY GAY GAY GAY GAY GAY GAY GAY GAY GAY GAY GAY GAY GAY GAY GAY GAY GAY GAY GAY MEN..."
- Pungeon Master: He has a lot of deliberately bad and/or overly-contrived puns in his repertoire.
- "Shaggy Dog" Story: The reason Courtney Love will not be having any cranberry sauce with her Christmas dinner this year. It turns out it's because she won't even be eating Christmas dinner this year. She won't even be celebrating the holiday at all. By then, she will have died of a heroin overdose.
- So Unfunny, It's Funny
- Stylistic Suck: Everyone's idea of an unpleasant, washed-out awful stand-up comedian.