Mischief Theatre is a British theatre company founded in 2008 by a group of students from the London Academy of Music and Dramatic Art. The company specializes in comedic productions.
They are best known for their ...Goes Wrong plays where the cast and crew try to put on a straightforward drama only for everything to go horribly wrong right in front of their audiences' eyes. The supposed plots are then almost completely forgotten as everyone tries to salvage the night with what little dignity they have left.
The company currently has the following projects in production:
- The Play That Goes Wrong (London, Broadway, UK Tour): A murder mystery set at an isolated manor in the middle of a snowstorm. Hilarity Ensues as the entire production crumbles in multiple ways.
- Peter Pan Goes Wrong: An attempt at putting on a Christmas pantomime of the classic tale. Hilarity Ensues as the entire production crumbles in multiple ways.
- A Christmas Carol Goes Wrong: Mischief Theatre's first original made-for-TV production. A live version of the classic tale staring Derek Jacobi is invaded by the cast of the failed Peter Pan production. Hilarity Ensues as the entire production crumbles in multiple ways.
- The Nativity Goes Wrong: Commissioned by Reading Rep. Theater in 2013, and follows the Christian Humanitarian Reading Initiative for Spiritual Theatre (or C.H.R.I.S.T., for short) as they perform the nativity story for the Reading College. Hilarity Ensues as the entire production crumbles in multiple ways.
- The Comedy About A Bank Robbery : A caper about a diamond heist in 1958 Minneapolis. Hilarity Ensues but not because the production crumbles in multiple ways.
- The Goes Wrong Show: A BBC series in the vein of The Play That Goes Wrong and its sequels, debuted in December 2019. The CPDS is commissioned to televise a series of short plays. Hilarity Ensues as each episode crumbles in multiple ways.
- Groan Ups: A comedic play that tracks five friends at three different points in their lives (childhood, adolescence, and adulthood). Hilarity Ensues as the play examines how much and how little people change over the years.
- Magic Goes Wrong: Produced in collaboration with Penn & Teller. A group of magicians try to put on a charity show. Unfortunately, Hilarity ensues as each trick crumbles in multiple ways.
Uniquely, some of the company's productions involve a double layer of acting, with the ...Goes Wrong plays ostensibly being amateur productions being put on by the Cornley Polytechnic Drama Society. The cast, therefore, play amateur actors playing parts within the play and each (fake) actor's personal foibles end up impacting the production, for better and for worse, and form an ongoing sub-plot across multiple productions. Tropes related to those alter-egos go here. (The Nativity Goes Wrong and Magic Goes Wrong are notable exceptions, as the C.H.R.I.S.T. initiative and the magicians are different characters from the CPDS, with their own histories and personalities. However, the former includes 2 characters from the CPDS, and in the latter, Sophisticato, The Mind Mangler, and Mickey bear a very strong resemblance to Chris, Robert, and Dennis, making them sort of alternate reality versions.)
For an idea of what to expect, check out this snippet from the 2015 Royal Variety Performance.