MercurySteam (legally named Mercury Steam Entertainment) is a Video Game developer based in San Sebastián de los Reyes, Spain. The company was originally founded by former employees of Rebel Act Studios, who developed Severance: Blade of Darkness in 2001. The developer had partnered with many publishers over the years, including such big names as Konami and Nintendo. The current key people of the company are Enric Álvarez and Dave Cox.
Following the release of Scrapland, the developer went on to develop (the rather divisive) Clive Barker's Jericho before being approached by Konami and commissioned to develop a 3D Castlevania reboot, Castlevania: Lords of Shadow. The game's resounding success had funded the development of its two sequels, Castlevania: Lords of Shadow Mirror of Fate and Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2. After fulfilling their contract, the company moved on, teaming up with Nintendo on the way to develop Metroid: Samus Returns. Their next game and and own personal project, Spacelords, is an asymmetric online action-adventure game, with a beta set to be held before release.
Games by MercurySteam:
- Scrapland (2004/2005, Xbox/PC)
- Clive Barker's Jericho (2007, PS3/Xbox 360/PC);
- Castlevania: Lords of Shadow (2010, originally for PS3/Xbox 360, later ported to PC) - co-developed with Kojima Productions;
- Castlevania: Lords of Shadow Mirror of Fate (2013, originally for 3DS, later remastered and ported to PS3/Xbox 360/PC);
- Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 (2014, PS3/Xbox 360/PC);
- Metroid: Samus Returns (2017, 3DS);
- Spacelords (formerly known as Raiders of the Broken Planet) (2017, PS4/Xbox One/PC)