MercurySteam (legally named Mercury Steam Entertainment) is a Video Game developer based in San Sebastián de los Reyes, Spain. The company was originally founded by former employees of Rebel Act Studios, who developed Severance: Blade of Darkness in 2001. The developer had partnered with many publishers over the years, including such big names as Konami and Nintendo, and are best known for their work on the Castlevania and Metroid franchises. The current key people of the company are Enric Álvarez and Dave Cox.
Following the release of Scrapland, the developer went on to develop (the rather divisive) Clive Barker's Jericho before being approached by Konami and commissioned to develop a 3D Castlevania reboot, Castlevania: Lords of Shadow. The game's resounding success had funded the development of its two sequels, Castlevania: Lords of Shadow Mirror of Fate and Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2. After fulfilling their contract, the company moved on, teaming up with Nintendo on the way to develop Metroid: Samus Returns, a 3DS remake of the Game Boy title Metroid II: Return of Samus. The game was successful enough for a second collaboration, this time an original entry in the series, Metroid Dread. During their partnership with Nintendo, they also worked on their own personal project, Spacelords, an asymmetric online action-adventure game.
Games by MercurySteam:
- Scrapland (2004/2005, Xbox/PC)
- Clive Barker's Jericho (2007, PlayStation 3/Xbox 360/PC)
- Castlevania: Lords of Shadow (2010, originally for PS3/Xbox 360, later ported to PC) - co-developed with Kojima Productions
- Castlevania: Lords of Shadow Mirror of Fate (2013, originally for Nintendo 3DS, later remastered and ported to PS3/Xbox 360/PC)
- Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 (2014, PS3/Xbox 360/PC)
- Metroid: Samus Returns (2017, 3DS) - co-developed with Nintendo EPD
- Spacelords (2017, PlayStation 4/Xbox One/PC)
- Metroid Dread (2021, Nintendo Switch) - co-developed with Nintendo EPD