He first came to prominence after playing Moritz Stiefel in the London production of Spring Awakening and winning an Olivier Award for the role.
He has been songwriting since he was 16 and headed Welsh band The Convictions before pursuing acting. He has released 3 EPs - Tongue Tied, Changing Times and Bang!Bang!
- Spring Awakening: Moritz Steifel
- Misfits: Simon Bellamy
- Grandma's House: Ben Theodore
- Secret Diary of a Call Girl: Lewis
- Resistance: George
- Wild Bill: Pill
- Wasteland: Dempsey
- Game of Thrones: Ramsay Snow/Bolton.
- Libertador: Daniel O'Leary
- Vicious: Ash
- Adolf the Artist: Adolf Hitler
- Inhumans (2017) as Maximus
Tropes associated with his work:
- Pretty Boy: In towering contrast to his how his character in Game of Thrones was described in the books. One might argue that it only serves to make Ramsay more unsettling.
- Star-Making Role: Gathered a lot of fans after portraying shy but heroic Simon in Misfits, his role as the sadistic Ramsay in Game of Thrones is making him a worldwide name.
- Typecasting: Following Ramsay's gruesome departure from Game of Thrones, Iwan almost immediately signed on to portray Adolf Hitler, and later Maximums the Mad.
- What Could Have Been: He was the main runner-up to play Heroic Bastard Jon Snow, ironically later being cast as the ultimate Bastard Bastard Ramsay.