Tadhya: Exordium is a dark fantasy graphic novel, written by Quinn Howard (known for his Youtube channel Quinn's Ideas where he discusses speculative fiction) and illustrated by Matthew Weldon, with coloring by Jean-Francois Beaulieu. Mike Miller and Caanan White also illustrated two alternate covers. It was released in December 2021.
The official synopsis:
The novel is intended to be the first installment in a trilogy.
Tropes found in Tadhya: Exordium include:
- Ban on Magic: According to the preview, the ruler of Myrath, King Gwydion, has made witchcraft punishable by death.
- Bilingual Bonus: "Exordium" comes from Latin and means 'the beginning' or 'introduction'.
- Constructed World: According to the author and previews, the story takes place in a fictional world and is primarily set in a kingdom called Myrath.
- Dark Fantasy: Howard has described the book as "horror fantasy". He also cited the works of H. P. Lovecraft as one of the inspirations for the story.
- Fantasy Counterpart Religion: The author describes the Divinity as being partly based upon medieval Christianity, such as having a single male deity known as the Father and preaching against 'pagan' religions, though it lacks a Holy Trinity or Christ-figure. The official trailer also mentions the religion believes in a Satanic figure referred to as "the devil" and depicts a priest wearing robes with a cross-like symbol.
- Fantasy Kitchen Sink: Howard stated he drew inspiration from Celtic, Nordic and African mythology to create the world Tadhya is set in. The witches are also said to worship Hecate, who in real-world mythology is the Greek goddess of magic (among other things).
- Mystical Pregnancy: The trailers and synopsis hint that the coven of witches had a hand in Tadhya's conception.
- Protagonist Title: Tadhya is the central protagonist from whom the book takes its title.