Tadhya: Exordium is an upcoming dark fantasy graphic novel, written by Quinn Howard (known for his Youtube channel Quinn's Ideas where he discusses speculative fiction) and illustrated by Matthew Weldon, with coloring by Jean-Francois Beaulieu. Mike Miller and Caanan White also illustrated two alternate covers. It is set to be released in 2021.
The official synopsis:
The novel is intended to be the first installment in a trilogy.
Tropes found in Tadhya: Exordium include:
- Ban on Magic: According to the preview, the ruler of Myrath, King Gwydion, has made witchcraft punishable by death.
- Bilingual Bonus: "Exordium" comes from Latin and means 'the beginning' or 'introduction'.
- Constructed World: According to the author and previews, the story takes place in a fictional world and is primarily set in a kingdom called Myrath.
- Dark Fantasy: Howard has described the book as "horror fantasy".
- Fantasy Counterpart Religion: The author describes the Divinity as being partly based upon medieval Christianity, such as having a single male deity known as the Father and preaching against 'pagan' religions, though it lacks a Holy Trinity or Christ-figure.
- Fantasy Kitchen Sink: Howard stated he drew inspiration from Celtic, Nordic and African mythology to create the world Tadhya is set in. The witches are also said to worship Hecate, who in real-world mythology is the Greek goddess of magic (among other things).
- Protagonist Title: Tadhya is the central protagonist from whom the book takes its title.