Written by Richard Meyer with art by Jon Malin (pencils), Brett Smith (color), and Ethan Van Sciver (cover and additional art), Jawbreakers is a series of indie graphic novels that focus on a retired team of ex-superheroes who now find work as mercenaries.
The first volume of the series, called Jawbreakers: Lost Souls was available to fund on Indiegogo in 2018. It held for a few months the record for a crowdfunded comic book, raising the then-unthinkable sum of over $400,000 note . The final amount covered several times over the original goal, and the finished product was shipped to the project backers in February and March of 2019.
Jawbreakers contains examples of:
- Action Girl: Xaxi is shown carrying and sharpening a spear and accompanies the Jawbreakers on a mission. It's currently unknown if she has any powers herself or if she is a Badass Normal.
- Anti-Hero: Most of the main characters are ex-superhero mercenaries who are not afraid to get their hands dirty.
- Anyone Can Die: To a surprising extent:Jawbreakers: Lost Souls: Kill-Switch, Devil Dog, Xaxi.Jawbreakers: God King: Hellpriest, Knife-Hand, Xaxi (again).
- Ascended Extra: Averted. After the positive reception Xaxi had with his fans, Meyer announced he had reworked the script to make her a central part of the plot instead of just a one-off character meant to provide exposition and Fanservice. However, the fans then got worried she would distract from what is supposed to be a simple but fun comic about a G.I.Joe-like team fighting a giant gorilla, so Meyer cut her character once again. Although she still has a bigger role than in the original script.
- Attack of the 50-Foot Whatever: There is a giant gorilla monster that serves as the main focus of the comic.
- Back from the Dead: Xaxi, who is quickly killed off again.
- Badass Crew: The main characters are all ex-super heroes now working as mercenaries.
- Black Dude Dies First: Inverted, Kuffz is one of the only two surviving Jawbreakers by the end of God King.
- Blood Magic: The pact God King made with the evil deities requires a blood sacrifice.
- Deal with the Devil: The God King seeks to make one of these with evil gods to become a deity himself.
- Eye Scream: At one point a giant gorilla monster has its eye knocked out.
- Gorn: The comic gets pretty violent at times with lots of blood, severed limbs and more. Not to mention what happens to the Big Bad...
- Hard Light: Silkworm has the power to generate objects made of this, which he uses to save some of the Jawbreakers from falling to their deaths.
- Heroic Sacrifice: Hellpriest and Knife-Hand sacrifice themselves to help bring down the God King.
- Laser Blade: Knife-Hand has the power to create blades of energy with his hands, naturally.
- Manly Gay: Devil Dog. So manly, he could be mistaken for straight until the end where he is revealed to be in a romantic relationship with a sentient male gorilla.
- Ms. Fanservice: Xaxi, whose outfit consists of a few thin strips of cloth and some jewelry. The author himself seems to have taken notice of this and made a poster featuring her one of the backer rewards.
- Nail 'Em: At one point Knife-Hand nails Hellpriest's hands to the wall with a nailgun.
- Names to Run Away from Really Fast: Most of the Jawbreakers have cool and/or threatening sounding names. You've got Hellpriest, Devil Dog, Kuffz, Knife-Hand, and Kill-Switch. Humorously, their leader goes by the comparatively mundane and unassuming name of Silkworm.
- Stripperiffic: Xaxi's outfit, of course. It's basically just a few thin strips of cloth covering her naughty bits.
- Stuffed into the Fridge: Happens to Xaxi near the end.
- Sunglasses at Night: At least a few of the characters can be seen rockin' their cool shades at night. (Just look at that cover up there for an example.)
- Xtreme Kool Letterz: Kuffz.