Marcy and Simon is a comic set in the universe of Adventure Time. Taking place after the events of the finale, the comic depicts the adventures of Marceline and Simon, as the former tries to help the latter atone for his days as the Ice King. But when Simons memory begins to fail, Marcy must work together with Finn, Jake, and Princess Bubblegum to save Simon and help him in his quest to make amends for his time as Ice King. To do that, Simon sets out with one goal in mind: save Betty from Golb, by any means necessary.
Published by BOOM! Studios and written by Marceline's own voice actress, Olivia Olson, the first issue of the 6-issue miniseries will be published on January 16th. Here's a preview of the first issue.
Marcy and Simon provides examples of:
- Alternate Continuity: Implied due to the comic tie-ins having some odd continuities from the show. This is another comic that takes place after the finale, but it's unknown whether the miniseries takes place in a separate continuity or if it takes place during Season 11, since some of the covers shows Simon with a ponytail and his new S11 outfit.
- And This Is for...: Finn invokes this trope by stabbing GOLB's tongue as payback after his creatures destroyed the treehouse.
- The Atoner: Simon regrets doing the things he did as the Ice King.
- Big Bad: GOLB once again is setting up to be this.
- Big Damn Heroes: Big Damn Anti-Hero. Hunson saves everyone, including Betty, at the last minute and knocks GOLB out cold after he tried to kill Marceline.
- Brought Down to Normal: Betty and GOLB are separated by Hunson in the final issue.
- Call-Back: Simon mentions the events of "Prisoners of Love", "Holly Jolly Secrets" and "Simon and Marcy" while reflecting the things he did in the past.
- Comic Book Continuation: The second Adventure Time comic to take place after the end of the series, only this time focusing on Marceline and Simon.
- Continuity Snarl: Issue #6 implies that those who reach Prismo's Time Room are given one wish per visit, while the show states that Prismo can only grant a visitor one wish ever. Then again Prismo has been known to bend the rules for people he likes.
- Darkest Hour: GOLB overpowers everyone and comes really close of killing Finn, Jake and Marceline while Betty is unable to control his body. And once he's done with them, he will go after Simon and BMO while Betty watches. Thankfully, Hunson arrives in time to save everyone.
- Earn Your Happy Ending: After all the trouble they went through, Simon and Betty are finally reunited in the end.
- FaceHeel Turn: Magic Man's shown to have gone back to being a jerk in Issue #5 after the denizens of Mars abandoned him.
- Happy Ending Override:
- Simon may be free from the crown's influence, but he's not free from its side effects and the guilt he feels for not saving Betty.
- Played for Laughs: The Ice King somehow managed to bring Ghost Princess back to Ooo at one point in order to marry her, separating her from her lover Clarence.
- After Magic Man/King Man seemingly got his happy ending and ruling Mars as a good king, at some point several long forgotten stank mines went off, emitting a stink so unpleasant that the citizens couldn't stand being on the planet any longer; leaving Magic Man alone and reverting back to his jerkish ways.
- It Only Works Once: GOLB creates a barrier against harmony around his body after Marceline tries to weaken him with a song.
- Late-Arrival Spoiler: The very premise of the comic spoils the fact that the Ice King is turned back into a human in the finale.
- Rapid Aging: This is what happens to those who stays in the Pillow World in a short amount of time.
- Redemption Quest: In the first issue, Simon apologizes to everyone he caused trouble during the time he was the Ice King.
- Shout-Out: In order to find Golbetty, Bubblegum gives Finn a magic sword that allows the user to open portals and travel between dimensions.
- Villain Override: Once the group tries to help Betty separate herself from GOLB, he takes full control of his body and starts attacking everyone.
- Wham Shot: A very minor one: in issue #5, Finn, Jake, Marceline, Simon and BMO ends up in another dimension while searching for Golbetty. The dimension in question? The Pillow World.