open/close all folders
Episode 1 - The Bone Orchard
- The very first scene we see the lengths the Vikings will go to in order to get home, ranging from self mutilation and sacrifice to an all out battle. The fight is bloody and uncompromising, showing both their determination and the kind of Gods the Old World was dealing with.
- Shadow and Sweeney's bar brawl is a no holds bar fight that is both impressive and brutal.
- When Anansi arrives to answer the prayer of the captured African slaves, he gives a speech that is meant to manipulate them into being sacrifices for his personal gain, but is still a twisted kind of awesome. He explains that this is only the beginning of their slow deaths, the dehumanization and oppression of their descendants, and that their only hope now is for an infinitesimally small sliver of justice by taking some of the oppressors down with them.Anansi: You want help? Fine. Let me tell you a story. "Once upon a time, a man got fucked." Now, how is that for a story? 'Cause that's the story of black people in America! *laughs* Shit, you all don't know you're black yet. You think you just people. Let me be the first to tell you that you are all black. The moment these Dutch motherfuckers set foot here and decided they white, and you get to be black, and that's the nice name they call you...Let me paint a picture of what's waiting for you on the shore. You arrive in America, land of opportunity, milk and honey and guess what? You all get to be slaves. Split up, sold off, and worked to death. The lucky ones get Sunday off to sleep and fuck and make more slaves and all for what? For cotton? Indigo? For a fuckin' purple shirt? The only good news is the tobacco your grandkids are gonna farm for free is gonna give a shitload of these white motherfuckers cancer. And I ain't even started yet. A hundred years later. You're fucked. A hundred years after that. Fucked. A hundred years after you get free, you're still getting fucked out a job and shot at by police. You see what I'm saying?*a slave shakes in rage*Anansi: This guy gets it. I like him. He's getting angry. Angry is good. Angry...gets...shit...done. You shed tears for Compé Anansi, and here he is telling you, you are staring down the barrel of 300 years of subjugation, racist bullshit, and heart disease. He is telling you there isn't one goddamn reason you shouldn't go up there right now and slit the throats of every last one of these Dutch motherfuckers and set fire to this ship!Slave: [in Ghanaian] But the ship will burn. All of us will die.Anansi: [chuckles] You already dead, asshole. At least die a sacrifice for something worthwhile. Let the motherfucker burn! LET IT ALL BURN!
- Shadow goads Czernobog into a checkers rematch by preying on his insecurities and pride, eventually managing to beat him and enlist him into Mr. Wednesday's cause. While Czernobog fully intends to claim Shadow's life at a later date, he is nevertheless impressed that the other man got the better of him.
- The reveal that a newly back from the dead Laura Moon rescued Shadow from the lynching in episode one. She tears apart Technical Boy's goons and frees Shadow from the rope. At one point, she literally kicks one of the assailants' spinal cord and skull out of his body.
- This simple exchange between Laura and Shadow.Laura: Are you still my puppy?Shadow: ...No. I'm not.
- Laura knocking Sweeney across the room with a single light fingerpoke.
- Media, having had enough of the Technical Boy's insubordination, knocks two of his teeth out by blowing him a kiss.
- Mr World's entrance: he first arranges Shadow and Wednesday's arrest through co-opting a government spy satellite and the firm which found Osama Bin Laden. He then walks into the police station after having slaughtered every officer, lighting every floor panel he steps on like a Michael Jackson video.
- Mr World and Media's olive branch and pitch to Wednesday: create an airborne missile platform called Odin, which would then be used by the U.S. military to rain fire down on North Korea. This would then massively empower Wednesday, as thousands would be being killed in his (real) name. And Mr. Wednesday turns it down in one glorious sentence.Mr. Wednesday: You say 'merger', I say 'exile'.
- The Nunnyunnini sequence from episode 5. Good Gods, it's beautiful from start to finish.
- Mexican Jesus strolling across a river to a drowning illegal immigrant, and easily lifting him from the water. Every other immigrant immediately stops moving, and removes their hats automatically."You saved me. Thank you. What's your name?""You already know my name."
- After Sweeney calls Laura a "cunt" one too many times, she grabs him by the mouth and tells him that if he calls her that one more time, she'll rip his lips off.
- After seeing Vulcan being a racist and backstabbing asshole to Shadow, it's nice when Mr. Wednesday decapitates him with the same sword he had forged for him, and then pissing in the forge so that the bullets manufactured will no longer be effective.
- Wednesday hams it up with a hell of a Badass Boast at the end when he tells Shadow who he really is, flash-frying a bunch of the Technical Boy's mooks with a lightning bolt and dedicating their deaths to Easter, empowering her to steal and then resurrect spring. This display of power, a blatant fuck-you to the new gods, finally convinces Mr. World to take Wednesday seriously and give him the war he wants.Mr. Wednesday: I am called Glad-O-War, Grim, Raider, and Third. I am One-eyed. I am also called Highest, and True-Guesser. I am Grimnir, and the Hooded One. I am All-Father, Gondlir, Wand-bearer. I have as many names as there are winds. As many titles as there are ways to die. My ravens are Huginn and Muninn, Thought and Memory. My wolves are Freki and Geri. My horse is the gallowed. I am... ODIN!
- The end of the season, when Easter takes away the spring.
Episode 1 - House on the Rock
- When Mr. World's assassin begins his massacre, Shadow manages to evade all gun fire, sneak out of the diner and actually manages to beat the assassin into submission.
- How does Mr. Wednesday solve Shadow's abductuion problem? He parks his car in-front of the tracks of the train holding Shadow. He even gives it a eulogy that one would give to a Viking before it dies an honorable death.Mr. Wednesday: Betty. Betty the Barbarian. You were forged from blue-collar sweat in the heartland of a forcibly-Christian land. You are not what you came into this world as, but instead a Berserker, and worthy of a Berserker's honor.Mr. Nancy: Aw, hell no.Mr. Wednesday: You are the standard of my world, for it might not be your way, I honor you in the most holy way that I know. A looming locomotive is the flaming arrow that soars through the heavy air from the bow of a Viking king. Let it strike you true and light your path to Valhalla!Mr. Nancy: Valhalla? Ain't nobody going to fucking Valhalla! I'll see you in Cairo.
- Donar's strongman performance, exhibiting impressive levels of strength all to the beats of a Jazzy rendition of Ride of the Valkyries.
- When Wednesday tries intimidating Donar when he starts slipping from his control, Donar is having none of it. The disparity of power between them due to Donar's popularity is made clear when he breaks Wednesday's spear in two with a single swing of his hammer.
- Lugh and his army fighting One-Eyed Balor and the Fomorians.
- Sweeney, as a Dying Moment of Awesome, flips Wednesday off when he sends gungnir (which he was run through with) to the horde, putting a massive dent in Wednesday's plans.