Naruto Shippuden: The Movie is the fourth movie in the Naruto franchise and the first in the time skip series. Released on August 4, 2007, in Japanese and November 10, 2009, in English..
The movie opens with Naruto dying...or rather of vision of him dying. In the present time, a man named Yomi attempts to resurrect a demon named Mōryō. The only thing that can stop him being a special priestess named Shion. As such the Leaf Village is hired to protect her with Naruto, Sakura, Neji, and Rock Lee charged with doing so till they can reach Mōryō's seal. However Mōryō has his subordinates looking for them to ensure Shion is killed. And there is still the prophecy of Naruto's death hanging over his head, is it a true vision of things to come, or can fate be changed?
Naruto Shippuden The Movie has the following tropes:
- All Up to You: Naruto and Shion have to save the day since Neji, Sakura and Lee have to stall the enemies currently chasing them.
- All Your Colors Combined: Shion's fully unleashed Chakra looks like it's made of multiple colors. Granted, she appears to get it from her mother.
- Bare Your Midriff: Shion wears a small white shirt under her long coat, revealing her stomach.
- Barrier Maiden: Shion, via her bell, is able to set the seal up needed to reseal Mōryō. Her losing it at the worst possible time when she was young caused Miroku to sacrifice herself in order to beat the demon back.
- Big Bad: Mōryō, Yomi is this for all of five minutes before he allows Mōryō to posses (translate: kill) him and take over the position.
- The Cameo: Several prominent Konoha-nin make quick non-speaking appearances during their attempts to quell the demon armies of Mōryō, such as Iruka, Anko, Tenten (who isn't included in the escort mission alongside her squadmates), Kakashi, and Guy. Only the latter two, alongside Temari and Shikamaru, have lines and that's only at the end. Team Kurenai plus the other two members of the Ino-Shika-Chō trio appear at the beginning mobilizing against the demons. Shino and Asuma are nowhere to be found, cameos or otherwise, in this movie.
- Chaste Hero: Shion makes a very obvious proposition towards Naruto. The idiot doesn't understand but cheerfully agrees to help anyway, to the dismay of his comrades.
- Chosen Conception Partner: In the post-credits scene, Shion reveals that As Long as There is Evil, Mōryō will return to threaten mankind; so she asks for Naruto's "help" in her power to, and training, the next priestess. Because of the way she worded her request, he unknowingly agrees.
- Eldritch Abomination: Mōryō is a demonic dragon that has existed since evil was conceptualized in the Narutoverse and Shion mentions in the epilogue that he could always potentially return as long as evil continues to exist.
- Determinator: Naruto's always been this, but he takes it to an extreme level in this film, considering he has his prophesied death hanging over him the whole time.
- Disney Death: Shion when it seems Yomi's subordinates killed her. Turns out it was her servant Taruho acting in her place.
- Does Not Like Shoes: Shion likes to go barefoot a few times throughout the movie.
- Fourth Date Marriage: Near the end of the movie Shion offers a rather obvious proposal to Naruto, even though they've known each other for little more than a few days by that point.
- Girl of the Week: This week's girl is named Shion.
- The Hero Dies: Well that was the tagline of the movie and it does seem to start off that way, even having a funeral for Naruto. But it's just a fake-out and it is obvious they wouldn't really kill him off.
- Heroic Sacrifice: Shion's assistant/bodyguard/best friend Taruho uses a transformation jutsu to impersonate her, and later dies in her place during an assassination attempt.
- Made of Iron: Naruto. The boy takes a lot of punishment, Rock Lee also.
- Non-Serial Movie: The first of Shippūden i.e. Part II of the anime. The focus on Team Kakashi teaming up with Team Guy, Sai's absence, plus appearances from Shikamaru and Temari near the end, would set this up not long after the Rescue the Kazekage story. Problem is that in the canon story, Naruto and Sakura, immediately upon returning to Konoha in the next arc, just as quickly left the village to investigate Sasori's tip on his having a spy working for Orochimaru, leading to the Search for Sasuke arc. Another red flag is Kakashi being taxed out after using his Kamui against Deidara, leaving him bedridden until the Hidan and Kakuzu arc, whereas here he's able to fight alongside Guy and the other Konoha-nin with no visual wore.
- Sealed Evil in a Can: Mōryō had his soul separated from his body and both were sealed within shrines located in the Land of Ogres and the Land of Swamps respectively.
- Ship Tease: Shion strongly implies that Naruto should couple with her to produce an heir. Naruto unknowingly agrees.
- Slasher Smile: Yomi/Mōryō as well as his/their henchmen indulges in some rather creepy ones from time to time.
- Spoiled Brat: Shion, though her bratty behavior is later revealed to be a coping mechanism.
- Undying Loyalty: Shion's bodyguards, especially her manservant Taruho.
- What the Hell, Hero?: After Shion predicts Naruto's death, Sakura takes a moment to poke fun at him (again).
- You Can't Fight Fate: How Shion feels due to her predictions...at first.
- Screw Destiny:... but ultimately helps fight against it which saves Naruto and allows him to finish off Mōryō.Shion: You can't change your fate.
Naruto: Nah, don't kid yourself. Let me show you how it's done!
- Screw Destiny:... but ultimately helps fight against it which saves Naruto and allows him to finish off Mōryō.