It's time for the second TV Tropes Halloween Avatar Contest, theme: cute monsters! Details and voting here.
Total posts:  2
The Scrappy Universe - Interest Check/Signups:
You ever found yourself watching a show and finding there's one certain character that you just can't stand? Or ever joined a fandom and realised that Scrappy McHated isn't very well liked amongst other gamers?
Well, now you get to be that Scrappy!
More specifically, you'll get the chance to rescue that character from the scrappy heap they've found themselves in. Sure, they'll wake up in a mysterious new landscape just as bad as they were back in their own series (unless of course you'd like to tweak their personality a little from the start, such as Bob going from a Jerkass to Jerk with a very hidden heart of gold), but here they'll get the chance to develop into characters that are, if only slightly, likeable. After all, it's better to improve than be forced to hang out with people just as bad as you in a place
just as bad as you.
The location you find yourself at is a strange combination of every detested location to date; ice worlds
, long winding caves
full of Goddamn Bats
, and temples full of the best brand of 'how the hell was I supposed to figure ''that'' out?!'
puzzles, all preceded by an old man rambling on about how thou must
accept this journey into the unknown. In short, you seem to have found yourself in a world solely dedicated to Scrappy-ness.
Since focus will be more on character development and interaction the plot will often take a backseat, though it's there and might occasionally nudge the characters along. It's also to be noted that this RP isn't taking itself too seriously; a little sillyness here and there is encouraged, the fourth wall bends to humour, and the characters hanging more lampshades than they would in their original series is fine. Whatever it takes to make an enjoyable experience out of playing hated characters
Also note that despite the focus on Scrappys
, Base Breakers
are also allowed, so long as they're not of the 'a lot of fans like Bob, but there are a few...' types. The types of characters you can
play can be solely hated by you, solely hated by most of or all the fandom, or both. Please don't take this as an opportunity to bash on the characters too much.
And despite the focus on video game locations characters from any type of medium are allowed, although it will still play out like your typical video game quest.
Usual rules will apply; No God-modding, auto-hitting, Mary Sues
(unless of course their reason for being a Scrappy is that they are a Mary Sue
, in which case the other characters will simply be impervious to his/her charms), or general jerkness.
Character sheet for anyone who is interested in joining:
- Personality: (Original personality, and any tweaks you might have made to it before their arrival)
- Power/Skills: (Please nothing above Super Weight 3 if they have powers. If you really want a character above that then they can be nerfed down so they can be accepted).
- Background: (Up to the point where they've been transported into this world, which can be anywhere in the course of their story).
- Reason for Scrappy/Base Breaker title:
- Any other important information:
So, anyone interested?
- Name: Jar Jar Binks
- Age: ?
- Series: Star Wars prequals (which I despise).
- Species: Gungun (the entire species consists of Scrappies!).
- Appearance: Gungan, which is a giant space rabbit/frog hybrid.
- Personality: Clumsy, stupid, loud-mouthed and just plain obnoxious. Soon after Jar Jar arrives in this world, a robotic implant will be planted into his brain, which will make him have sharper reflexes and be less stupid. The increased intelligence will cause Jar Jar to become quieter and less annoying.
- Power/Skills: The implant gives him sharp reflexes and knowledge on computers and technology. His inteligence score is still below average, but not notably so unlike in Star Wars.
- Background: Banished from Otto Gunga because he was clumsy and wrecked some ships. He became a Gungan general, and Senator of Naboo.
- Reason for Scrappy/Base Breaker title: Not only is he incredibly annoying, but he manages to become a General and Senator despite his stupidity and clumsiness, and the other characters don't find him as annoying as he should be.
- Any other important information: I considered roleplaying Anakin Skywalker as a mature, heroic character (not an emo, whiny Designated Hero), but rescuing Jar Jar seems much more interesting.
Who are you rescuing
edited 23rd Apr '12 9:00:11 PM by CrazyDawg
I'm torn between Slippy and Clippy. Yes. That Clippy.
Well, Clippy's shapeshifting power could come in useful
As for me:
- Name: Steve Burnside
- Series: Resident Evil (Code: Veronica and Darkside Chronicles).
- Species: Human.
- Appearance: Here he is.◊
- Personality: Stubborn, tempermental, distrustful and often condescending to others due to it. After he meets Claire and sorts out his trust issues he eventually becomes a little better. I'll be focusing more on his Darkside Chronicles portrayal; still has trust issues, but is much nicer once he opens up, and is more prone to Lampshade Hanging.
- Power/Skills: He can pilot a plane and is a good shot with weapons. Living in the RE verse has also made him a good puzzle solver.
- Background: His dad worked as a mole, but was found out by the company. His wife was then killed and Steve imprisoned, but he later escaped and met Claire. He later had to shoot his zombified father. Ended up in this world just before he and Claire ended up in Antarctica.
- Reason for Scrappy/Base Breaker title: Being a prick to the main character, taking key items for himself, occasionally acting The Millstone and having really bad voice acting.
edited 24th Apr '12 8:51:06 AM by whizzerd
- Name: Sam Puckett
- Series: iCarly
- Age: 16
- Gender: female
- Species: Human
- Appearance: Ain't she cute? Don't let appearances fool you.
- Personality: Lazy, obnoxious, sneaky and intimidating. However she's very loyal to those she cares about and does have a nice side albeit a deeply buried one.
- Powers/Skills: Stronger than she looks, she has beaten opponents twice her size and more, ripped chain locks off doors, pulled Carly up a collapsing fire escape one handed. Is generally a good fighter and also good at conning people. Oh and she can pick locks.
- Reason for being a Base Breaker: Basically, she's a borderline sociopath on a kids show. And now she's without Carly around to restrain her.
edited 26th Apr '12 5:31:20 AM by tricksterson
If it's an authority figure and it's breathing it's guilty
At least I didn't make any new friendships.
- Name:Dawn Summers
- Age: 15
- Series: Buffy the Vampire Slayer
- Species: Human and/or the Key (essentially a massive ball of energy)
- Appearance: Right here.◊
- Personality: Strong-willed and confident like her old sister, but with none of the awesome powers. Also like her sister, she has a bit of sarcastic streak. After her family started dropping like flies, she developed large abandonment issues, branching into kleptomania.
- Power/Skills: She's just your typical human (or human-shaped ball of energy), bordering on The Load. Being the Key, her blood opens dimensional portals to every other universe, bringing destruction to the world. It is unclear if this is still possible.
- Background: In the year 2000, the Order of Dagon, tasked with protecting the Key, used powerful magics and the Slayer's own essence to change the Key into a human girl and keep it away from the hell goddess Glorificus. The Key was then sent to the only person who could protect it, the slayer Buffy Summers. Reality and memories were altered, and the Key was placed seamlessly into the lives of Buffy and friends as Buffy's younger sister Dawn. No one, not even Dawn, knew, believing the lies the monks implanted. Despite the effort, Glorificus, on her mad quest to return home no matter the cost, tracked Dawn down. Buffy tried her hardest to keep Dawn safe, killing Glory, but the ritual had started and Dawn's blood was opening the way into other dimensions. To keep her sister safe and the world from destruction, Buffy sacrificed herself, leaving Dawn with no living family.
- Reason for Scrappy/Base Breaker title: Initially disliked for coming out of nowhere, uselessness, and being portrayed as way more childish than she should be. After the events of season five, she was disliked for being even more useless and extremely whiny.
- Any other important information: Okay. So I'm not the strongest writer, but I'd like to give this a try. If at any point my stuff becomes too unbearable, just let me know.
edited 25th Apr '12 6:30:08 PM by Chrisham2
All accepted. I'll put up the discussion soon and hopefully we can get a few more players.
Are you going to create that discussion page soon? We want to start playing.
Sorry, been a tad busy. I don't think four players is quite enough to start, but here's
the discussion anyway.
Hopefully a we get going , more will join.
"If you play it they will come."
If it's an authority figure and it's breathing it's guilty
Lord of the Citadel
I'm trying to think of what shows/games/films/books I like that have scrappies in them...
I mean, there's always the original
, but I was never a huge fan of the show, and the first film effectively took the micky out of him itself.
The Signature Of Me
Hmm, this actually looks pretty interesting. I'll post a character when I get home
Life is like a game of Mahjong. Sometimes you need to take risks if you want to come out ahead.
Alright, here it is. I'd considered Howard from Uninhabited Planet Survive
, but I decided to go with a character from a better-known series, and one which I've actually finished.
Name: Kiryuu Nanami
Series: Revolutionary Girl Utena
Personality: Nanami is best described as an Alpha Bitch
. She's snobby, selfish, and has a huge brother complex. She's extremely clingy in regards to her brother, and very cruel to anyone she sees as a rival for his attention.
Power/Skills: She's very cunning and she knows how to handle a sword. Apart from that, she's your average high-school girl.
Background: Nanami goes to Ohtori Academy, where her older brother Touga is the student council president. The student council in Ohtori is involved in a series of duels to win the hand of the Rose Bride, who is said to bring the power to revolutionize the world. Eventually, Nanami becomes a duelist when she is asked to join the student council. She was transported to this world shortly after losing her first duel with Utena.
Reason for Scrappy/Base Breaker title: Merciless bullying of Anthy, leading on and using Mitsuru (an underclassman with a crush on her), general bitchiness.
edited 3rd May '12 5:33:32 PM by Shadowbell
Life is like a game of Mahjong. Sometimes you need to take risks if you want to come out ahead.
- Name: Kobra
- Age: 29
- Series: Mortal Kombat
- Species: Human
- Appearance: If you're not a member of the Black Dragon clan, I'm gonna have to finish you!◊
- Personality: Kobra is obsessed with violence and brutality. Since he never actually gets to kill any other playable characters, here his personality will shift. Because Kobra looks like he could easily fill the "Wangst-y Copycat Sue" mold, here his personality will include whining every time he doesn't get his way. This includes things like not getting the exact number of pieces of pepperoni he wanted on his pizza or the water being too wet. This interpretation will also be a mild kleptomaniac.
- Powers/Skills: Kobra is skilled in kickboxing and in causing Machete Mayhem. He can also use chi to throw balls of fire, enhance his strikes with flame, and teleport behind people, leaving only smoke behind. However, he cannot teleport very far. In the intro to Mortal Kombat Armageddon, he is seen some twenty feet in the air engaged in hand-to-hand combat, so it can be assumed he figured out how to jump that high. He can only extend how long he is in the air if he actually hits things.
- Background: Kobra was a promising young martial artist who was curious as to how much damage he could actually do. So he took his martial arts to the streets of Manhattan, where there would be no instructors to restrain him. At first, he started taking on gangbangers and drug dealers, but his bloodlust soon grew. He started intentionally killing his opponents and became indiscriminate about who he killed. Soon, he found himself looting convenience stores and gas stations. When the police finally ended this crime spree, his trip to jail was interrupted when a masked man with hookswords and incredible speed, aided by an agile woman with daggers in her hands throwing purple projectiles, slew the officers detaining Kobra and rescued him. Kobra became an Elite Mook, third in command of the Black Dragon clan. From then on, he sought to kill another kombatant, but failed every time. He joined the Forces of Darkness in the Battle of Armageddon, hoping he would finally get to kill, but when he gets there, he finds himself defeated multiple times. This is what leads to his ending up in the Scrappy Universe.
- Reason for being The Scrappy: He's a Captain Ersatz of Ken Masters, but with a boringly by-the-book Chaotic Evil personality.
J-E-T-S JETS JETS JETS!
Hmmm... -ponders which character to use-
Nanami and Kobra are accepted. I should be able to start the RP up later when I can be on the computer longer.
Are the joins still open? This game looks interesting, and I have a character I'd like to do.
Name: Gwen Cooper
Age: [never specified in series, just a guess] 28
Appearance: Tall, slim build. Layered dark hair, big eyes. Pale skin.
Personality: Self-righteous, egotistic. Tends to care a lot about others and thinks highly of her morality. Slightly naive at times. Despite her selfishness, she is somehow selfless at the same time. It's like, she has to help others, even if by helping them she could hurt more. I suppose.
Power/Skills: Nothing in particular. Knows how to use a gun, has police training.
Background: Lives with her boyfriend, Rhys. Worked as a cop, then ended up working for Torchwood, an alien hunting organization. At point in RP she's only been working for Torchwood for a few weeks.
Reason for Scrappy/Base Breaker title: Said to be Sue-ish, and annoying.
Any other important information: Nope.
edited 5th May '12 7:57:15 PM by mellochan42
Gay elephant noise?
Sounds good. She's in.
Opening post is up!
Who are you calling short?!
...Can I still join?
Sure, you'll just wake up in the same room as everybody else.
Who are you calling short?!
- Name: Shinji Matou
- Age: 17ish
- Series: Fate/stay night
- Species: Human, Mage
- Appearance: What a jerk.◊
- Personality: Egotistical, chauvinist, arrogant, rude, perverted Smug Snake, Dirty Coward and an inferiority complex the size of Jupiter
- Power/Skills: Absurdly incompetent mage.
- Background: A descendant of a dying magus family. Wants to prove himself. Regularly rapes sister.
- Reason for Scrappy/Base Breaker title: Did you see his personality?
- Any other important information: This is pre-Fate Shinji...
edited 12th May '12 4:27:27 AM by DeathChariot
Okay, he's in, though maybe tone down the rape-y aspects of his characters.
Walking the path of heaven, ruling over all...
So, uh. Yeah, um... Yeah. Just going to leave this here, ahah... >.> <.<
- Name: Pan
- Age: 14*
- Series: Dragon Ball (GT)
- Species: 3/4 Human - 1/4 Saiyan hybrid
- Appearance: Here we go.◊
- Personality: A tomboyish thrillseeker who wants to prove she's just as tough as the rest of her family, which can unfortunately make her come off as something as a brat at times. She's not without her softer side, though, and can be quite the girly-girl if given the chance. Even then, she's still brash, outspoken and prone to thinking with her heart before her brain. She also loves a good fight; must be due to her Saiyan blood.
- Power/Skills: Super strong, super fast, super durable and capable of flight through control of ki. Her family are all skilled martial artists, and she is no exception. She has trained to be able to utilise blasts of ki as protectile attacks, the most powerful being her family's trademark Kamehameha, her father's inherited technique the Masenko, and her own Shinkuu-Kikoken. Thankfully for the balance of this game she is incapable of transforming into a Super Saiyan, and her Saiyan blood is so thin that she does not recieve the power boost they usually get when recovering from a near-fatal injury*.
- Background: The granddaughter of two martial arts legends, the daughter of potentially the most powerful being in the universe, and descended from the alien warrior race known as the Saiyans, the blood of warriors flows through Pan's veins. She spent a lot of her childhood with her grandfather Goku, who helped train her in the martial arts. After a wish made on the Black Star Dragonballs reverted Goku to childhood, she set off with him and another Saiyan-Human hybrid across the galaxy to retrieve the balls, for if they were not returned to Earth in one year the planet would be destroyed.
- Reason for Scrappy/Base Breaker title: Apparently many found her bratty and annoying, and felt that she took up too much screen time from other, more popular characters. Added to this is the fact that, due to numerous plot holes and inconsistencies, GT is seen as discontinuity by a very vocal part of the fanbase*.
- Any other important information: ...Yes, she's a Dragonball character. But! Bare with me for a moment. She's not going to be pretty much Superman here. She is one of the weaker characters in the series, after all, and even then she's probably not going to be as strong or fast as she is in the show.
edited 11th May '12 1:35:17 PM by Moerin
Aha! Got one.
- Name: Shadow the Hedgehog
- Age: +50 (physically somewhere in his late teens/early twenties)
- Series: Sonic the Hedgehog
- Species: Anthropomorphic hedgehog/alien thing...?
- Appearance: ZOMG U GUIZE SOO EDGY!◊
- Personality: Perpetually grumpy and doesn't talk much to people he doesn't like, although he will grudgingly accept the company of children. He has a bit of a superiority complex as well, sometimes referring to himself as "The Ultimate Lifeform".
- Power/Skills: Can run faster than the speed of sound (although this will be nerfed), is extremely strong, and can teleport, fire energy projectiles, and is virtually indestructible due to Chaos energy. He's good with virtually any kind of firearm or motorcycle. Can remove the inhibitor bracelets around his arms for an extra power boost, although this tires him out greatly afterwards.
- Background: Was created in a lab by scientist Dr. Gerald Robotnik. When the military judged him and the experiments there to be a threat, they ordered in troops, and his only friend, Maria, was shot and killed as she evacuated him to safety. He has since made frenemies/arch-rivals with Sonic, and has gone on to save the world from Dr. Eggman and [Insert Monster Here] many times.
- Reason for Scrappy/Base Breaker title: Shadow was a cool character that put an interesting spin on things and made playing the game more fun... in Sonic Adventure 2. And from then on, he was a whiny, Wangsty, Flanderised pile of asshole that existed solely to steal screentime from the main characters and make the series seem more "edgy". He totes guns for no apparent reason, even though logically he should hate them, and the character development he got in SA2 is mysteriously missing in all other titles that follow it. Also voiced by Jason Griffith after Sega axed David Humphrey, his original voice actor.
- Any other important information: I was this close to playing as Chris Thorndyke, but I couldn't bring myself to do it. This will be post-Unleashed Shadow.
edited 11th May '12 2:01:46 PM by GameSpazzer
As long as their powers don't make them eclipse other characters then they're good. They can still be faster and more durable than the other characters, but not insanely so.