- The fans were pretty much divided between those who were waiting patiently for the game to be available and who welcomed every new feature announced with excitement, and those who "want to play right now", who were growing more and more impatient and vocal day after day and who were dismissing every new feature announced as something which was just delaying the beta and release of the game. Needless to say, the most vocal members of each groups were at each other's throats over this. Fortunately, things tended to calm down rather quickly, thanks to the efforts of both the devs and the rest of the community.
- There was a minor one over the inclusion of a in game console item which would allow players to access their twitch settings panel from the game, and allow streaming to twitch from directly within the game (and, later, would allow to access other services), despite the fact that said item is entirely optional, won't post or activate things automatically, and is basically a non-invasive way to integrate a service (Tiy himself declared he didn't like nor use some like Facebook, finding it creepy). On top of that, it's explicitly mentioned that said feature is a side project which is being coded on their "free" time. Some people nonetheless felt that Chucklefish betrayed them and that such features shouldn't be coded in the first place, since it takes time and thus delay the release of the beta/game, and demanded the devs to stop screwing around and focus on the core aspects of the game.
- The pets were not very well welcomed when they were announced as the third stretch goal: some felt that it was an useless feature, while others thought that it was a nice but disappointing one as a stretch goal. And there were the ones who felt that said feature served no purpose but to delay the release of the beta/game (despite the fact that the devs mentioned that the pets were planned to be part of the game from the start)... Noticing a trend here?
- The first image◊ of the Floran intro was disliked by a lot of people. mollygos realized her error, and revealed that it was actually an unfinished image. An other, more polished, image◊ of the floran intro was much more well received.
mollygos: Lots of people complained about the above screenshot! It was my bad. I was rushing out the update, trying to get to bed, and was under the impression the Floran intro was completely finished so I just picked a screenshot and posted it. I didnít realize it would lead to a 21-page comment thread full of raaaaaaaaaage. Apparently the screenshot I picked originally had human campers around the fire, but was being adapted so it was Florans sitting around the fire. It wasnít a final pass. So I suppose it goes without saying that I was totally wrong and the Floran intro wasnít quite finished. :P So to make up for it, have another. Sorry my sleepiness caused so much trouble!
- Instruments and music in-game: aside from the usual "It will delay the beta!" response, people are pretty much divided about it. Some are very enthousiastic, others don't like it at all, and the rest think that the system can be good but that the voices are awful.
- The demonstration of the game during the Insomnia49 festival was received with mixed feelings. Some were happy to see a longer demonstration of the game and the first boss, others were quite disappointed since nothing really new was shown (aside from the boss, and said boss itself created some controversy), and finally some were glad to see the game, but absolutly hated that it was Yogscast members who were playing it (claiming that they were not playing it right or that other people should have been playing it, like the ones who pre-ordered the game). And it would be better to not talk about the pre-beta/pre-alpha comment from Mollygos and Bartwe which had the effect of a small nuke on the official forums. Tiyuri took the time to clarify this in order to appease the community.
- You wouldn't believe the shitstorm that was caused by the devs showing off a sentient poo monster.
- "Poptop", the winner of the Monster Contest, was loved for its cute looks, but also derided because its colour scheme, looks, and behaviour made it pretty much a Mawile redesign.
- After the beta was finally released, another schism developed in the fanbase between those who thought the game was too hard and that the difficulty should be adjusted, and those who think the game's difficulty is just fine and don't want the game to be toned down for "casual gamers". This is made slightly worse due to the fact that the balance is still being worked on, and that a good deal of the difficulty is the fact that not everything is balanced the way it's supposed to be, such as weapons.
- Unrest is growing more and more on the official forums, with frequent accusations by some members of the community that the moderators are abusing their rights and deleting posts which criticize Chucklefish. While most of these accusations are not founded (because, if you break rules of the forums while criticizing Chucklefish, it's normal to get moderated), there have been a few occasions where the moderators did a dubious job... And one occasion◊ of a moderator editing another moderator to call a member a dumbass (which may or may have not been deserved). Of course, said post was deleted.
- With the advent of ship AIs, the Glitch AI (a busty woman with a horse head) is... not very flattering. Many on the forums found it disrespectful towards the Glitch, and things were not helped when Tiy used this AI to make a silly joke post illustrating that the AIs were implemented (using the memetic opening lines of The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air, no less). Then Kyren decided to leave a very provocative comment in the next update about turning all the AI's into animal-head women "because of all the positive feedback", giving rise to accusations of the developers intentionally trolling and inflaming the community. The forum thread discussing that update and a subsequent poll thread concerning forum approval of the Glitch AI (where a majority of voters have rejected the horsehead lady) have both been locked due to the controversy.
- Bartwe, one of the key coder of the game, left the team while the game was still in its beta phase, to make his own game. He gave his reasons here. Let's just leave it at that.