"Before we begin, there is just one point I want to make absolutely clear... There was no 'coincidence'. There were no accidents. It was all that bloody parrot's fault."
Penny Blackfeather is an ongoing fantasy adventure webcomic by Francesca Dare. It is published since January 2012 and updates on Sundays.The plot takes place in 1812 in Vanilla, England, and centers around Penelope Blake, a young woman who dreams about a life of adventure rather than the life of "cushion embroidery and ballroom dancing" she can realistically aspire to. She is also the only person who can hear the ghostly voice of her grandfather Nathaniel Blackfeather, a pirate and sorcerer, who is condemned to haunt her.One day Penny sneaks out from a ball and goes exploring the hostess' house, having heard rumors of a haunted library. A mysterious blue feather falling through a hatch in the ceiling lures her to the roof, where she meets a strange bird and its strange owner, and gets drawn into the kind of adventure she dreamed about.
Penny Blackfeather contains examples of:
- Agent Scully - The Adventurer utterly disbelieves in magic, monsters and ghosts. This despite having obvious magical abilities himself, running into quite a lot of monsters and being the only one beside Penny who can hear Nathaniel.The Adventurer: I just hope we don't catch whatever weird skin disease it is poor Molly has.Penny: Wha? Disease? She had tentacles, for goodness sakes!
- Awesome McCool Name - Following a Meaningful Rename, Penelope Blake turns into Penny Blackfeather. The author, Francesca Dare, may also be an example Nope! That's actually her real name.
- BFS - Too big for Penny to lift, in fact.Nathaniel: It isn't heavy, Sweet Pea, you just don't have the muscle to lift the thing.
- Birds of a Feather - Penny, who is considered strange by all those who know her, wants to meet someone who is like her.
- Christmas Episode of 2012 was an elaborate 12-page reinterpretation of Twelve Days of ChristmasSample: "Four haunting ghosts, three henchmen, two elder gods and a parrot in a pear tree!"
- Crash-Into Hello - How Penny meets The Adventurer.
- Curse Cut Short - Several times.Nathaniel: That's bo-Penny: But that's not possible.
- Distressed Dude - The Adventurer, captured by monsters.
- Feather Motif - Beginning with the cover page and throughout the entire comic.
- The Hero - Penelope.
- Interactive Narrator: With a dash of lemony, from the wizard and privateer extraordinaire, Nathaniel Blackfeather! Who, despite having no physical hand in the affairs, is still able to manipulate people into doing things.
- Meaningful Rename - When The Adventurer mistakenly calls Penny Blake 'Miss Blackfeather', she refrains from correcting him, thus embracing her grandfather's name and his legacy. Later she uses the name Penny Blackfeather to introduce herself.
- Mismatched Eyes - The Adventurer has this. It appears to be a Mark of the Supernatural.
- No Name Given - We never learn The Adventurer's name.
- Non-Human Sidekick - Princess, former Pirate Parrot and The Adventurer's loyal companion. Believed by Grandpa Blackfeather to be the brains of the operation. More to her than meets the eye, though - she might be an enchanted woman. Or enchanted parrot. Mim's sidekick Cali, a highly intelligent talking plant, and Seed Of Cali, which Cali sends with Penny for help on her dangerous journey, are also examples.
- Premise Ville - Vanilla, England.The Adventurer: 'Visit Vanilla', they said. 'A nice normal town', they said.
- Right for the Wrong Reasons - Mrs. Blake, nearly every time.Mrs. Blake: (Thinking about Mr. Poggleswede, to Penny) Who knows, maybe the man of your dreams will appear... And sweep you off your feet!(The same evening, Crash-Into Hello with The Adventurer quite literally knocks Penny of her feet.)
- Running Gag - Penny hates being startled. Seriously.
- Significant Green-Eyed Redhead - Penny, as the full-color chapter 3 reveals.
- Spell Book - Everyone, human or monster, wants to get their hands on it.
- Splash of Color - Most of the comic is Deliberately Monochrome. However, Princess, The Adventurer's blue eye and Cali's vines appear in color. The Goblin Valley appears in full color.
- Targeted Human Sacrifice - "Magical blood" is required for Miss Quinn's ritual to work. Now who has magical blood that she can spare?
- Unreliable Narrator: The ghost of Nathaniel is the narrator, and he has a somewhat self-serving approach to the truth.Nathaniel: So this book is obviously bad news, but then Idiot Adventurer reads from it anyway. Anyone who says I persuaded him is lying. Lying.
- Wrong Genre Savvy - Mrs. Blake, relentless shipper of Penny and Mr. Poggleswede.Mrs. Blake: If novels have taught me anything it is that couples that argue will eventually fall head over heels in love and have dozens of babies. La!
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair - Princess has blue hair in her human form.