Webcomic: Aki-chan's Life
Following the events of The Second Try the Ikari family is back together. However, this is not the world little Aki Ikari grew up in, this is not the world Asuka and Shinji Ikari have been living in for the past seven years, and there is still quite a bit of work that needs to be done — for one thing, Mr. and Mrs. Ikari need to get remarried. So join Aki and her parents as they go through life, face the challenges of the world, and look darn cute doing it.In other words, Aki-chan's Life is a primarily Slice of Life Fan Webcomic that acts as the sequel to the fanfic The Second Try. The story is told in chapters, with each chapter being its own self-contain mini-arc, and the strips themselves are read right-to-left instead of the standard left-to-right. All similarities to Manga or Doujinshi are completely intentional.The comic can be read here.Compare with Evangelion 303 -another Evangelion webcomic- and RETAKE -the most famous Eva doujinshi-.
This comic contains examples of the following tropes:
- Affectionate Gesture to the Head: Aki has this a lot of her loving parents as seen here.
- Animesque: Art style and format wise the comic is just like a Doujinshi. In every other respect though it's clearly a Western webcomic.
- Badass Adorable: Not many toddlers can climb a fully-grown tree. Aki was like a prepubescent Tarzan in that regard.
- Big Brother Instinct: Rei had a bad experience with school, and she correctly anticipates that Aki's...unique tendencies will cause her to have a similar experience. In order to protect her from that, Rei is willing to argue with her parents repeatedly about it. And when they still put Aki in school, Rei waits just outside the school building for most of the day, just in case.
- Birthday Episode: In the first chapter Shinji and Asuka held a party for Aki's fourth birthday. They invited their friends and co-workers, telling them that they were celebrating their victory about SEELE. So when they introduced their four-years-old daughter -that no one knew they had- hilarity ensued.
- Butt Monkey: Poor Pen-Pen has been having a difficult time ever since Aki came into the picture.Asuka: "They had a rough start".
Aki: "Fly, Birdy!"
- Call to Agriculture: After winning the Angel War and averting the Apocalypse, Shinji and Asuka decide to buy the Yamadera's garden-market (where they lived back in the... alternate future) and run the place.
- Cloud Cuckoolander: Aki's a little odd, even for a 4 year old, but that's to be expected given the world she used to live in.
- Cool Aunt: Rei, of all people, is this to Aki.
- Cool Old Guy: Fuyutsuki.
- Cuteness Overload: Just look at the page picture. Aki-chan is freaking adorable.
- Does Not Like Shoes: Aki. This was also true in The Second Try but it gets a lot more focus here, especially in Chapter 3.
- Death Glare: Ritsuko finds herself reciving one simultaneously from both Asuka AND Shinji when she jokingly(?) suggests taking a blood sample from Aki for the DNA test.
- Didn't See That Coming: Sums up about half of the reactions on this page after Shinji and Asuka introduce Aki to the rest of the cast.note
- Drives Like Crazy: In chapter 2 Misato is driving the Ikari family to Nerv. When Shinji mentions that she is an awful, reckless driver, Misato protests that she is trying to stick to the traffic regulations.
- Face Palm: Asuka facepalms repeatedly here and here while Kaji is putting his foot in his mouth in spectacular fashion.
- Fish Out of Temporal Water: Technically a case of someone from the future coming to the past, though Aki is too young to really understand the situation. She's still learning about the world, meeting new people and such, and in many ways her situation isn't that much different from a typical 4 year old. She does, however, tend to draw worried looks when she talks about the post-Third-Impact world where she used to live.
- When dropping her off for her first day at Kindergarten, her parents explain that they "used to live out in a secluded part of the countryside" to excuse Aki's more oddball moments; a pretty good comparison if you think about it.
- Friendly Rivalry: Naota and Seita, who are, in their own words, "Bestest Rivals!"
- Funny Answering Machine: Courtesy of Aki.
- Good Parents: Shinji and Asuka, heartwarmingly so.
- Imaginary Friend: Subverted. Word of God says that the reason Aki isn't carrying around Kiko (her doll) all that much any more is because she is meeting lots of people besides her mom and dad.
- Intergenerational Friendship: Aki and Rei.
- Kid from the Future: Aki technically counts, although both parents were aware of her existence before she went back in time.
- Late-Arrival Spoiler: Asuka and Shinji having a daughter was a big reveal in The Second Try. Here, it's spelled out in the prologue.
- Lemony Narrator: Caption boxes will often exposit on the characters' expressions, and in parts of chapter 1 they just flat out gave the author's commentary on the proceedings.
- Luminescent Blush: Asuka tasks Shinji with explaining to Aki where babies come from in this page. Shinji's face tells everything...
- Mama Bear: Asuka does not take it well when she can't find Aki.
- Moe Couplet: Aki and Rei. Seriously, it's adorable.
- Mythology Gag: When Maya offers to get Aki some tea at a vending machine she responds with "But I'm a girl...!"
- Also, when Aki first sees the Geofront, she says, "Wow! A real-" "-ly big cave!"
- Later, when Aki falls out of a tree, she lands gracefully on her feet, in a manner extremely similar to Rei falling out of the vent in NERV.
- Not So Different: Aki meets a girl called Ririko who is prone to get angry and hold grudges. Later Asuka meets Ririko's overbearing and strict mother and gets pretty irritated at the woman's attitude. Then Ririko tells that her mother is like that because if they are not the best nobody will respect them... In other words, they have the same mindset Asuka had been fed with since she was a little child. Upon hearing it, Asuka got frozen in the spot.
- Not What It Looks Like: Subverted. Yes Touji, yes Hikari, that little girl who just answered the door of your friend's apartment is their kid. It's a long story.
- Oh Crap!: The older Ikaris finding out that Hikari's older siter Kodoma works at the kindergarten where they're enrolling Aki.
- Shinji when Asuka leaves him the duty of explaining "The birds and the bees" to Aki.
- OOC Is Serious Business: When Touji and Hikari see Rei smiling, they freak out and decide they MUST have landed on an alternate universe somehow (and they are not so far from the truth, if you think about it).
- Peggy Sue: While the comic itself doesn't directly have this, the effects of The Second Try being an example are discussed though. For one thing, Ritsuko doesn't believe that Aki is Shinji and Asuka's daughter till she does a DNA test.
- The Reveal: The whole point of the Party in chapter 1. With SEELE and the Angels gone, Shinji and Asuka had no reason keep the whole Time-Travel thing, or their daughter, a secret anymore.
- Right in Front of Me: Kodoma suspects she knows Asuka when she goes to drop Aki off, but seems to believe she's mistaken.Kodoma: I guess it's the hair. The only other redhead I know is that obnoxious friend of my little sister.
- Rummage Sale Reject: Aki likes to wear clothes that are too big for her.
- Spit Take: Kodoma does one when she learns that Aki has run off.
- Stylistic Suck: Aki's drawings are intentionally made poorer than Jimmy's art, since she is a toddler.
- Supernaturally Young Parent: As noted below under Teen Pregnancy, the age gap between Parents and child barely is Ten years. The family doesn't really care much; to Aki, they're still "Moma" and "Papa" (and she's too young to understand anyways); They're just glad to have her back, and remain loving, mature parents. But it's an awkward situation to say the least, and Mom and Dad generally try to avoid explaining it to folks outside their friends and people at NERV.
- The Talk: Asuka thought it would be a good idea for Shinji to tell Aki about the birds and the bees after Misato revealed she was pregnant. Since he had keep the explanation appropriate for a 4 year old, Aki now thinks that Kaji made Misato eat a baby.
- Teen Pregnancy: They're not sure exactly because they didn't bother keeping track of dates, but Shinji and Asuka couldn't have been much over 16 when Aki was conceived. And that's before the Mental Time Travel thing happened, leaving them both physically fourteen... with a four year-old Kid from the Future. This is going to create some problems in the future...
- Title Drop: The only instance where Japanese Honorifics are used are three instances where people are addressing "Aki-chan."
- Unfazed Everyman: Touji figures out who Aki is within minutes of meeting her. More to the point, he has very little trouble believing it:Touji: I guess I shouldn't have been so surprised... I've seen so many weird things the last few months... So... congratulations.
- Wig, Dress, Accent: Shinji and Asuka dress up in business outfits to hide their age when dropping Aki off at Kindergarten; You know, because two teens dropping off a 4-year old at school would raise a lot of awkward questions.
- Wingding Eyes: In this scene Shinji and Misato are blinded by a camera's flash and their eyes turn into tiny spirals.