We've switched servers and will be updating the old code over the next couple months, meaning that several things might break. Please report issues here
Web Video: Stuff You Like
A Web Original
show where redhead Sursum Ursa
waxes enthusiastic about books, TV shows and anything else that comes to mind
, while the subtitles
look on (and snark)
Expect trope references and a LOT of Sherlock
You'll find all Stuff You Like episodes here
, and some other stuff on YouTube
. The show is also featured on The Agony Booth here
, Geekvision here
, and Chez Apocalypse here
. She joined That Guy with the Glasses
as part of the 2014 Talent Search.
Stuff You Like provides and discusses examples of:
- Abhorrent Admirer: The Porn Critic for Ursa:
Sursum Ursa: Stop sending me condoms in the post, you creepy pervert!
- Action Girl: Mentioned by name quite a lot: Ariane, the adrenaline junkie pilot/racer from Grand Central Arena, as well as Katara, Toph, Suki, Azula, Mai, Ty Lee... and Jame.
- Alternate Character Interpretation: In-Universe, Jim is a Stalker with a Crush.
- Anachronism Stew: Namechecked in The Scorpion King review:
: But this movie runs on Rule of Cool
, not Rule of Historical Accuracy, so we must forgive it.
- Asteroid Thicket: Namechecked in GCA which has a section that consists of a long string of tropes and accompanying pictures.
- Bad Boss: Ursa herself, judging by the "Staff Training Video" at the start of the Underworld review...
- The Bechdel Test: Mentioned in passing in the Underworld review:
- Big "YES!" / Glasses Pull: "This week: (glasses) it's Sherlock Whump Week." "YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
- Black Cloak: For the "Staff Training Video":
: Greetings, minions. *thunder* Welcome to hell. (Evil Laughter
- Bread, Eggs, Milk, Squick: In the Roman Holiday review:
- Bonus Material: Her Labyrinth review has a Bonus Webcomic Review about Roommates and Girls Next Door. We can safely say she is also a fan of the Buildingverse.
- Buffy Speak: On the subject of Jim's mood swings:
Sursum Ursa: He has mood swings like a...very...swingy...thing!
- Catch Phrase: Early on in the series, "Meet our protagonist..." More recently, "The plot it goeth thusly"
- Chewing the Scenery: Mentioned in Underworld:
- Crossover: She does one with The Porn Critic for Zombie Strippers which is a movie she doesn't seem to like very much.
- Deadpan Snarker: The Subtitles, and also Sokka.
- For the Evulz: Jim again.
Sursum Ursa: Jim is just indiscriminately evil...for the lulz.
- Getting Crap Past the Radar: A whole section dedicated to it in the A:TLA Book 3 review.
- Gosh Dang It to Heck!: Both River Tam and Jim are described as, "Completely batfrakked!" More generally, the (usually) PG-rating means this is quite common.
- Halloween Episode: "5 Ridiculously Entertaining Things About Underworld."
- The Hero's Journey: The Labyrinth review is titled this and used to talk about it.
- Hollywood Hacking: Averted in Sherlock Series 2, and mentioned in the Reichenbach Fall episode:
- Hollywood Homely: Discussed In-Universe in the Mycroft and Lestrade episode. TV!Lestrade is much better looking than his literary counterpart
- Hollywood Pudgy: Also In-Universe and in Mycroft and Lestrade, Ursa explains how the trope is avoided, and references Special K adverts to give an example of the trope.
Sursum Ursa: You're NOT FAT!
- Ho Yay: Lampshaded by her when Zuko wants Aang to dance with him. And Sherlock's "A Study In Pink" review had a dedicated montage on the subject.
- Left the Background Music On: In the Jim vs. Moriarty episode.
- Musical Episode: For the Les Miserables review.
- Nice, Mean and In-between: She argues that Liz (from Pride and Prejudice) is a harder character to write because she is kind and smart, but takes no crap, but can laugh at herself. While Jane is innocent and naive and Caroline looks down on everyone, Liz is somewhere in the middle.
- "No. Just... No" Reaction: She gives one when The Porn Critic invites her in for a cameo, saying he will "gently ease [her] in" and showing off that he has lots of lube.
- Pimped-Out Dress: Referenced by name in the video about Kaylee from Firefly, and the dress she wore in "Shindig".
- Punny Name: Sursum Ursa's real surname is Bearup.
- Quirky Miniboss Squad: Azula, Mai and Ty Lee from, what else, Avatar: The Last Airbender.
- Rebellious Princess: Anne from Roman Holiday.
- Record Needle Scratch
- Right-Hand Cat: Barclay.
- Rule 63: As Watson in her crossover with Sofie Liv to review the 2009 Sherlock Holmes movie.
- Sarcasm Mode: Most of the time.
- Scenery Porn: Referenced in Roman Holiday.
- Shout-Out: To NCIS fandom when she describes Molly Hooper as an 'Autopsy Gremlin'. To the Sherlock fandom...all the time.
: "Good luck River
. Now that you are a slightly less broken mind reading Waif-Fu
practitioner I'm sure you'll be doing just fine."
: "I spotted her in the Buildingverse
yesterday. She seemed... fine"
- Squee: She literally squees at the start of the Avengers review.
- Surveillance as the Plot Demands: She has cameras EVERYWHERE. Above Welshy's and Cheapus' beds, in Miss Liv's bedroom, in Cheapus' bathroom and fridge...
Funky Monkey: ...breaking into people's houses, and installing cameras, doesn't sound like a heroic thing to me! More like...paranoid.
- Take That, Audience!: She notes that Zombie Strippers makes fun of the type of people who would go see this movie a lot.
- The Cast Showoff: Ursa in the Musical Episode.
- The Firefly Effect: In-Universe discussion in SYL 20: this video.
- TV Tropes Will Ruin Your Vocabulary: She drops Troper Speak with great regularity.
- Unobtanium: Required to get the crew home in Grand Central Arena.
- Unusual Euphemism: By way of Expospeak Gag in the Zoe Washburne episode:
Sursum Ursa: But when the fecal matter hits the rotary air impeller...
- Video Review Show
- "World of Cardboard" Speech: Marc C Dusquene. No, not that one.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Ariane again.