Web Video: Reviewing a Reviewer
Hello Dear Viewer, and welcome to Reviewing a Reviewer
(commonly referred to as "RAR").
(Cue theme of Blue Mary from Fatal Fury
A web series by Eric "Asalieri" Gaede (he is commonly called "Asa"). His main gimmick is that he reviews other reviewers (A meta-review show, oddly enough). He also has other assorted videos, including Masterpaint Theatre, where he reads terrible fanfiction exactly the way it was worded with intentionally bad MS paint drawings to go along with them,
as well as an annual contest called the "Wheneverthehell Reviewer Contest" (which used to be Whenever the Hell, but is now annual as of 2013) where contestants submit video reviews for him and several other judges to grade, the winner of which gets an unspecified prize or gets to participate in a future RAR episode with Asa.
It is worth noting that Asa is quite vocal and opinionated to the extent that he has garnered an extremely
, and often was (and still is) the subject of vicious criticism to the extent of even having several of his videos falsely flagged for copyright infringement (even when said videos sometimes contained no copyrighted footage at all).
Please keep Flame Bait
off of this page, thank you very much.
List of RAR episodes and the reviewers reviewed
- "Reviewing a Reviewer Part 1!" (The Irate Gamer Neo's review of Order Up)
- "Reviewing a Reviewer #2.1 Beta!"/"Reviewing a Reviewer Part 2.2! Do the Mario!" (The Irate Gamer's review of Super Mario Bros. 2)
- "Reviewing a Reviewer Part 3! The Odyssey" (The Irate Gamer's review of the Magnavox Odyssey)
- "Reviewing a Reviewer #4 - Aladdin/Reviewing a Reviewer #4.2! Aladdin. The Conclusion" (the Irate Gamer's review of the SNES version of Aladdin)
- "Reviewing a Reviewer! #5 The Lesser Clone" (Game Dude's review of Mario Kart and Alvin and the Chipmunks games)
- "Reviewing a Reviewer! #6 Sinking The Navgtr" (the Navgtr video channel)
- "Reviewing a Reviewer #7! Navgtr and the Metroid" (Navgtr's review of "Super Metroid")
- "Reviewing a Reviewer #8 Fail More Please" (Fusion Media's review of "Super Mario Bros. 2")
- "Reviewing a Reviewer #9! In Times Of Famine, Eat Your Software" (Pissed Off Video Gamer's review of the GameCube)
- "Reviewing a Reviewer! #10 Artie of Fighting" (Artie's criticism of the Fighting Game genre)
- "Reviewing a Reviewer! #11 Rated Stupid (Part 1 of 2!)" (NC 17's review of Kid Icarus on NES)
- "Reviewing a Reviewer! #11 City Castration (Part 2 of 2) " (NC 17's review of City Connection)
- "Reviewing a Reviewer #12 - It'll Turn Your Stones" (Video Game Critix Cornr's review of Soul Calibur on Dream Cast and BlazBlue on PlayStation 3; guest-starring Judekhanzo)
- "Reviewing a Reviewer #12.5 Vacation! Travel Bores!" (The Irate Gamer's comedy sketch Chris & Scottie: Roadtrip)
- "Reviewing a Reviewer #13 - Retrogamer3" (Retrogamer3's review of Ikari Warriors on NES)
- "Reviewing a Reviewer #14 - South of The Border" - Crazy Video Gammer
- "Reviewing a Reviewer #15 - Suck or No Suck" (comparison between Clan of the Gray Wolf and The Angry Video Game Nerd)
- "Reviewing a Reviewer #15.2 - A View Gone Neutral" (The Angry Video Game Nerd's review of Crazy Castle, and more comparison with Joey Roo)
- "Reviewing a Reviewer #16 - One View Wonders" (random reviewers on YouTube who have barely one view on their videos)
- "Reviewing a Reviewer #17 - Some Like it Dumb [Part 1]" (Angry Joe)
- "Reviewing a Reviewer #17 - Some Like it Dumb [Part 2]" (More on Angry Joe)
- "Reviewing a Reviewer #18: Fixedfront River " (The RPG Fanatic)
- "Reviewing a Reviewer #20: Reviewing a... Rapist?" (Retrogamer3's The Gaming Rapist a.k.a. The Welfare Gamer show)
- "Reviewing a Reviewer #21: Revenge of the Zero View Nobodies" (more random YouTube reviewers with no views on their videos)
- "Reviewing a Reviewer #22: Five Dice Game" (Yahtzee)
- "Reviewing a Reviewer #23: For Old Times' Sake Part 1" (The Irate Gamer's review of Monster Party)
- "Reviewing a Reviewer #23: For Old Times' Sake Part 2" (NC 17's review of Ballz)
- "Reviewing a Reviewer #23: For Old Times' Sake Part 3" (Navgtr's review of Final Fantasy VII)
- "Reviewing a Reviewer #24: Arcade Derp" (Arcadeic's review of Growl on arcade; guest-starring Razorfist)
- "Reviewing a Reviewer #25: And Now for Something Completely Different" (Linkara's review of the Street Fighter comic; hosted by AfroBlue)
- "Reviewing a Reviewer #26: Bobbing for Tasteless Apples" (Sour Apple)
- "Reviewing a Reviewer #27: Mirror Match" (Asalieri himself, contemplating his past mistakes)
- "Reviewing a Reviewer #28: A Kyle of His Own" (Mike Matei's review of The Adventures of Elmo in Grouchland]]; guest-starring tkyle212)
- "Reviewing a Reviewer #29: NCTGWTG Is a Terrible Scrabble Hand" (The Nostalgia Critic)
- "Reviewing a Reviewer #30: Request a Review" (Narco Terror)
- "Reviewing a Reviewer #31: Mr. Noisy Goes To Town" (TV Trash)
- "Reviewing a Reviewer #32: Mystery Science Outhouse 93.16 (The Ranting Robots)
- "Reviewing a Reviewer #33: Rage Envy Wiring (Film N Stuff)
Reviewing a Reviewer provides examples of the following tropes:
- Aborted Arc: He tried to review Mariotehplumber after mass fan request, but he found him already too low-quality to even review.
- Acceptable Targets
- Bronies. He is a brony himself, but is perfectly aware of the insanity of some of the MLP fanbase.
- Fat people. Even though he is fat himself (and perfectly aware of that), he easily makes fun of fat reviewers if he dislikes them enough.
- Badass Beard: He even made a video (now Lost Forever) about having shaved it, calling it "Death of a beard".
- Big Eater: Asa admits he likes to eat, and has trouble to lose weight. "Dammit, food, why do you have to taste so good!"
- Bilingual Bonus: Asa can speak very fluent Spanish, and occasionally makes obscure puns and references in the language. He even made an RAR entirely in Spanish, and graded a Wheneverthehell contest entry made in Spanish.
- Brief Accent Imitation: He does this very often when making fun of some of his detractors.
- The Cast Show Off: He is an experienced stage comedian, and shows it with his acting.
- Catch Phrase
- "Hello, dear viewer."
- "Until next time, dear viewer."
- Caustic Critic: Of other Caustic Critic! Meta!
- Creepy Crossdresser:
- Does this briefly in the beginning of "RAR #24", in the "Baka Gaijin" section. Intentionally Squicky.
- The "Steel Beth Reviews Dungeons & Dragons" video is accompanied by Asa's wife drawings of him in a blonde wig and female clothing, in a parody of Iron Liz.
- Defeat Means Friendship:
- After making fun of the Game Dude, he ended up being in good terms with him, even with the latter making small appearances in his videos.
- He made friends with Irate Gamer ever since the latter's rant on the E-begging epidemic.
- After all of their numerous feuds stemming from the false-flag controversy, Asa made friends with Jfreedan enough for him to even appear in one of Asa's April Fools videos:
- Homage: The opening to the 6th Wheneverthehell reveiwer contest, featuring Asa himself driving in a car while "Lookin' out my Backdoor" plays over the radio, was an obvious homage to The Big Lebowski.
- Musical Episode: Asalieri Answers #8: The Musical!
- Non-Human Sidekick: The Odyssey (the Magnavox Odyssey), Large Exhibit (a big rock with a deep voice) and the Nameless Parrot (a puppet parrot).
- Self-Deprecation: In spite of what all his detractors claim, he does make fun of himself on a regular basis, and even made a video addressing all of his past mistakes when he reviewed himself.
- Sequel Number Snarl: He skipped RAR 19 and went straight to RAR 20, and also skipped the 5th Wheneverthehell Reviewer Contest, going straight to the 6th. He cites simply forgetting about the numbering from time to time.
- Simpleton Voice: He does a high-pitched and raspy voice when he voices a "loser" character; he mainly uses it for his "Pissed Josť" character, but also for characters that are bronies.
- Video Review Show: Of other Video Review Shows!