Web Animation: Benthelooney
"Welcome back to Ben Rants, and when I was a kid..."
Ben Rants is a internet rant series created by Ben Tannehill. The series initially debuted in April 10th, 2009 under Ben's PuffyZillaman4 account.
Ben Rants consisted of several different topics in it's initial run, such as rants on TV shows, movies, lists of favorite TV shows and movies and occasionally giving out his thoughts on topics (and one singing segment that Ben deeply regrets).
Because Ben couldn't log in on his PuffyZillaman4 account, Ben Rants was put on hiatus for weeks after his infamous rant on The Looney Tunes Show
leading to speculation that his videos had ended for good. But Ben created a new channel called Benthelooney and the series resumed on July 26th, 2011 after a month and a half hiatus. After 90 videos, Ben Rants finally ended production in December of 2011 with very little fanfare, because Ben wanted to retire from ranting and focus on positive videos. Two months later, after a surprisingly large amount of fan requests and Ben Tannehill discovering new topics to talk about, the show was put back into production on February 10, 2012. Ben later retired Ben T. Looney on 13th December, 2013 (although this time because Ben will be too busy pursuing his dreams of being an animator at college) but will continue production on videos as himself for the sixth and last season. But then he decided to bring back Ben T. Looney one last time until June. The series officially ended on June 6, 2014.
Watch his videos here.
See his older videos here.
Tropes appearing in this series:
- Animation Age Ghetto: Discussed in Ben's Misc. Rants.
- Arch-Enemy: His relationship with soccer moms.
- Art Evolution: His "Ben" avatar has gained a considerably more polished appearance over the years. The head was originally drawn with a circle tool.
- Author Avatar: Ben T. Looney, which is stated to be an exaggerated version of Ben Tannehill.
- Berserk Button: Shows he hates. And certain people, like Seth Mac Farlane (Except for American Dad!) and Adam Sandler.
- Breaking the Fourth Wall: Happens a lot.
- Catch Phrase:
- "Welcome back to Ben Rants/Salutes/'s Top 10, and when I was a kid... [insert comment here]."
- Sometimes he says "Welcome back to Ben Rants, and we live in a world where... [insert comment here]" instead.
- In the majority of the Un-Cancelled/revival videos, "Greetings folks, I'm Ben T Looney".
- Neb uses a similar version of this, but with "and in this day and age."
- In the first run, Ben often exclaimed "What the flubbernugget?!".
- Cloud Cuckoo Lander: Looney T. Ben as a whole.
- Early Installment Weirdness: The first few Ben Rants didn't have an Author Avatar on screen and were notably calmer in tone. Before Ben started making rants, he would post videos of his DVD collection, Tom and Jerry title cards, a video showcasing his characters, a Godzilla tribute, and funny pictures with captions to go with them.
- Gosh Dang It to Heck!: Ben doesn't swear in his videos. Instead, he uses words that rhyme with swears in their place. (Ex. spit, truck, witch, etc.) Even more so in the revival. He doesn't mind saying "Gay" though.
- Jerk Ass:
- Ben T Looney when Ben Rants returned.
- Neb also constitutes as this (though that's the point).
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Ben in the original run. While in some videos he could get very opinionated and some facts wrong, he mostly dealt with his haters in a polite and mature manner (Much like he did in real life). The original finale "Ben Strikes Back" paints a complete picture that Ben was indeed this.
- Large Ham: A lot of times when he is angry.
- Man Child:
- Ben T. Looney can come up as this.
- Neb, however, is an even bigger one, to the point where it seems like all "child" and no "man."
- Mean Character, Nice Actor: Ben Tannehill himself, is much more soft spoken, reasonable, and open minded than his Obnoxious Character.
- For those of you who still have doubts, the video "The Differences Between Ben T. Looney and Me," pretty much compares his (Ben Tannehill's) opinions with those of Ben T. Looney. If you happen to be a fan of Pixar, Seth Mac Farlane, or Christopher Nolan's Batman trilogy, you can rest a little easier once you see that. Also, the "Pixar Rant Aftermath" video.
- Minor Flaw, Major Breakup: Negative Nick has broken up with three girls because one nibbled her fingers every Tuesday, one brushed her teeth with her left hand, and one was hit by a bus and the accident screwed up her face.
- Nostalgia Filter: Pre-Cancellation only. This is averted in the revival, because Ben goes out of his way to criticize a lot of shows/animes that he grew up with and previously liked.
- Wordof God says that he realised he can't judge shows based on their time period, which is why he scrapped this upon the return of his rants.
- Prank Call: Looney T. Ben pranks calls them in one video.
- The Pollyanna: When he's not raging.
- Sell Out: Ben Tannehill is often considered this by many of his former fanbase and has been since the 2012 return of his rants for the sake of Ben T Looney's flanderization, change in rants formula, jumping on bandwagons and making Ben T. Looney more like The Nostalgia Critic. One that is reviled among many previous fans is his "character" excuse which in itself is flanderized from the original claim that he was "acting".
- Spiritual Successor: The Mysterious Mr. Enter is this to Ben Rants's original run, as the styling of his reviews & analysises resemble that of Benthelooney, despite coming out a year after Ben Rants was uncancelled.
- Vocal Evolution:
- Ben T Looney's voice started out as relatively calm, but eventually progressed into being louder and more aggressive.
- A second voice change happened in 2013 after Ben Rants went on a hiatus (which was the first time since the rants were cancelled in 2011) and Ben decided to put a cartoony spin on the character's voice when he got a new microphone.
- "Where Are They Now?" Epilogue:
- Ben's review of Yellow Submarine ended with this, fitting because this video is the Series Finale (where the characters are concerned).
- Neb T. Yenool started paying attention in school and became more sensitive to others. He's still pwning n00bs in his video games however.
- Looney T. Ben has become a sane man and now works at the St. Louis Zoo.
- Sir Lord Charles Humperdink IV has learned to appreciate art and spends his free time strolling in art museums.
- Negative Nick has become more positive and changed his name to Positive Pete.
- Ben T. Looney tried to audition to be in cartoons, and didn't get any parts. However, he fell in love with Jenny E. Wacky and is now married to her.