Web Video / Guru Larry And Wez
Two New Media
enthusiasts investigate the various computer-game controversies, video-game ventures and digital disasters that you didn't even realize were a thing, with series such as "Games Yanks Can't Wank", a series about games that were only released in the United Kingdom on their beloved home computers and "Fact Hunt", a series that, of course, details various obscure facts about video games, old and new, as we say: But, hello you! This is the page on Guru Larry and Wez, and we welcome you to it!
Originally from Screwattack.com, these two guys from The Midlands
provide voice-over top-10 countdowns related to popular video games, as well as other gaming-related videos. Can be found here
- Acceptable Targets: Peter Molyneux, Tim Langdell and Ocean Software.
- Added Alliterative Appeal: Guru Larry is fond of these, dropping a good few of them in the intro most of his videos.
- Badass Baritone: Even if he didn't have his accent, no one would deny that Larry has a killer speaking voice.
- Big Lipped Alligator Moment: Invoked in the intro to "Games Yanks Can't Wank" when the theme song suddenly takes a Shocking Swerve to a darker tone:
Would you like to be my friend
I don't have many friends
- The Cameo:
- Catch Phrase: Larry likes to start off his videos for real by saying "But, hello you! I'm Guru Larry and I welcome you to Fact Hunt!"
- Cluster F-Bomb:
- Wez does this at the start of "Top Ten Overhyped Shite Games":
Wez: We're not on TV any more, we can say what the fuck we want! Fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck!
- The "Top 5 Hidden Pissed Off Programmer Rants" sub-series of "Fact Hunt" also contains a fair share of cussing. Take, for example, this rant against software pirates hidden in the code of the Amiga ECS version of Jurassic Park:
"MESSAGE TO FAGSHITE AND PARAPLEGIC AND ALL THE OTHER DICKHEADS! BETTER LUCK THIS TIME! TRY AND REMOVE MORE THAT [sic] 20% OF THE PROTECTION THIS TIME YOU USELESS CUNTS! ISN'T IT TIME YOU STOPPED PULLING YOUR DICKS AND LEFT YOUR BEDROOMS AND GOT A REAL JOB?"
- There are also two episodes dedicated to cheat codes and pass codes that contain swearing. The first one, "Top 5 Offensive Cheat Codes", focuses on codes that are deliberately put in by game programmers. The second one, "Top 5 Offensive Passcodes (That all Exist Purely by Chance!)", focuses on codes that are generated due to the games' password systems (as opposed to battery backups and save files) that coincidentally form curse words.
- Crossover: Has done several joint reviews with Stuart Ashen in which they look at board games based on video games.
- Curse Cut Short:
- During his retrospective of DuckTales, Larry concedes that the game had a sequel, "but it was a pile of shi-".
- A visual example from Larry's retrospective of Art Alive; one of the pictures Larry draws with the game includes text saying "ART ALIVE IS SH".
- Epic Fail: "5 Hilarious Idiotic Gaming Screw Ups" lists examples from developers, such as a cheat code for Keio Flying Squadron unlocking the full game in the demo, and the DRM for Rainbow Six Vegas 2's digital version being so hard to fix, that not even a clean install could do anything, that Ubisoft was only able to fix it by using a pirated crack of the game as an official patch.
- Everyone Has Standards: At the end of Apaches there's a list of names of real children who died playing on farms, but Larry stops there as he's not sick enough to joke about that.
- Fourth Wall Greeting: A common introduction to his videos.
- Harmless Villain: His friend Ashens kills Itsmyyard on the Top Tens.
- Hurricane of Puns: When looking back at previous entries on the Top Tens, in preparation for the number 1, every number comes with a pun.
- Machinima: Larry and Wez created a Wrestling Machinima video, WMW Smackfest!
- No Export for You: The point of his shows "Games Yanks Can't Wank" and "Films Yanks Can't Wank", looking at media that was released in the UK but not the USA.
- Nonindicative Name: Larry's internet image is being the one British guy on gaming sites otherwise dominated by Americans. Yet his full name, Larry Bundy Jr., sounds rather stereotypically American to British ears.
- Older Than They Look: Larry is in his mid-thirties, but easily looks a decade younger.
- Precision F-Strike: Wez drops one during "Top Ten Biggest Rip-Offs in Gaming". It's bleeped out, but it's pretty obvious what he's saying.
- Pun: In every episode, at least one is usually horrible, and is almost always lampshaded.
- Running Gag: Larry has referenced the game "Pinball Construction Set" several times in his videos.
- His various pot shots to Peter Molyneux.
- Anytime he speaks the word "Edge", expect a shot at infamous copyright troll Tim Langdell.
- Shoddy Knockoff Product: He reviewed British games that ripped off famous NES titles.
- Shout-Out: Boggle Flash (Ahhhhh!)
- Sound-Effect Bleep: Several times in "Top Ten Awesome Weapons", during the BFG-9000 segment.