Video Game: Sherlock Holmes The Awakened
Sherlock Holmes: The Awakened is a point and click adventure game developed by Frogwares which features Holmes and Watson investigating a mystery involving the Cthulhu mythos. It was originally released in 2006, with an Updated Re-release arriving in 2008.
This game provides examples of the following:
- A Foggy Day in London Town: Watson mentions the fog at the beginning of the game.
- Apocalyptic Log: Some of the notes you find have a definite air of this, as befits the subject matter.
- Bedlam House: The Black Edelweiss, where it's implied that they just bash the patients over the head and fill them up with sedatives.
- The Big Easy: One of the main locations in the game.
- Bloodier and Gorier: The first of Frogwares' Sherlock Holmes games to be rated M, it features considerable blood and gore.
- Body Horror: The first corpse you find has been cut up and had large parasites implanted inside. Which then pop out and crawl around for a bit.
- Corrupt Hick: The three men in New Orleans who are actively impeding Holmes' investigation. By shooting at him.
- Hooker with a Heart of Gold: Lucy, who works in the New Orleans whorehouse.
- Mad Scientist: Dr. Gygax has been cutting out parts of patients' brains.
- Maybe Magic, Maybe Mundane: It's never definitively determined if the ritual to summon Cthulhu has real power or not.
- Shout-Out: A few to Dungeons & Dragons, with characters named Gygax, Arneson, and a letter from an E. Otus.
- One to Agatha Christie's Hercule Poirot, in a brief cameo.
- Unexpected Gameplay Change You chase a thief that's stolen your luggage in New Orleans. A definite change from deliberately-paced investigation.
- Tome of Eldritch Lore: As usual for a work in which Cthulhu is involved, you find one of these kinds of books.
- The Watson: The original appears, and is playable at some points.