Video Game: Over the Hedge
Over the Hedge is a Video Game adaptation of the DreamWorks Animation film Over the Hedge. Rated E10+.Unlike most video games based on movies, this one starts at the climax of the film, where everything is solved, and the animals are free to do whatever they please. A year later, however, they feel a bit bored with just stealing food, so they try and find other things they can use to pass the time, such as a TV or a popcorn machine. Unfortunately, Dwayne the Verminator is back, and is using mind control helmets to take control of other animals, such as rats, and use them as his henchmen.Playable characters include RJ, Verne, Hammy, and Stella. While playing, you can use weapons such as golf clubs, plungers, baseball bats, etc. to fight enemies. You can also throw long range weapons, such as frisbees or boomerangs. There are various toy guns thrown about the game as well, like a ball launcher.The game was released for the Nintendo GameCube, PlayStation 2 and Xbox. Games for the Game Boy Advance and Nintendo DS were also made, though these were different from the console versions.
This game provides examples of the following Tropes:
- Action Girl: Stella is the only female playable character.
- Animal Stereotypes: The ones used in the movie return, there's now an angry rottweiler, and the enemies fit this pretty well.
- Ax-Crazy: Dwayne and a Rottweiler boss.
- The animals may count as well, using weapons such as golf clubs and baseball bats.
- Big Bad: Dwayne.
- Boss In Mooks Clothing: The armadillos. You can only hurt them once they stop being curled up, but since that's their method of attacking you...
- Car Fu: One of the minigames has RJ, Verne, Hammy, Stella, Gladys, and Dwayne battling in golf cart bumper cars.
- Everything's Nuttier With Squirrels: Hammy again.
- Go-Karting with Bowser: When playing the golf cart minigame, Gladys and Dwayne are opponents.
- Heel-Face Turn: You have to battle Vincent again, but he's wearing a mind control helmet. Once you get it off of him, he joins you and comes back to the hedge.
- King Mook: Three of the bosses are a King Rat, a King Bunny, and a King Gopher.
- Laser Hallway: Not used in hallways, but there are many lasers protecting backyards.
- Mind-Control Device: Dwayne uses these on animals like rats.
- Power-Up Food: Spuddies!
- Basically any food will restore your health.
- Sanity Slippage: Dwayne, are mind control helmets on animals really necessary to capture the ones your after?
- Shameless Self-Promoter: Once the animals are able to watch movies, you can see clips from the videogame adaptations of Shrek, Shark Tale, and Film/Madagascar.
- The Smurfette Principle: See Action Girl above.
- You Dirty Rat: The rats. Granted, they are under mind control.