Interesting NPCsInteresting NPCs
is an NPC-related mod
. It is authored by Kris Takahashi
with a sizable group of other users contributing in the form of Quests
and Voice Acting.
At present time the mod contains over 100 complete characters with extensive dialogue, over eighty of which have been fitted with voices by amateur voice actors
. Approximately 300,000 words of dialogue are currently included in the mod, making the majority of the new characters more talkative than original Skyrim NPC's, and the total amount about half that of the vanilla edition.
Quite a few quests
are currently included as well, some of which further NPC
interaction and other are extensive item retrieval assignment
with quite a bit of backstory and a lot of combat.
Provides examples of:
- Adaptational Badass: A few NPC's in the base game got this treatment through anecdotes given by the new NPCs. The scary thing is that it's actually seamless.
- AI Is A Crap Shoot: Relic, ancient robotic remnant of Dwemer artificing may turn evil and rather nutty when improperly repaired.
- All There in the Manual: The mod's website contains a map with the locations of all current NPC's as well as lists on which ones have voices; none of this is available in-game.
- Badass Beard: You can have a very thoughtful conversation with Frik on the greatness of a beard.
- Big Bad: S'Vashni, the renegade Blade apprentice.
- Blood Knight: Gorr has some elements of this.
- Conspiracy Theorist: Godrod the Hammer.
- Cannot Tell a Joke: Iria, who is completely deadpan (and not in a good way) as she cracks jokes.
- Embarrassing First Name: Hagravi Gray-wave, picked on for the similarity of his name to Hagraven, a harpy-like species of creatures.
- Erudite Stoner: Beatrice, a skooma addict and former Forsworn who has a magical amulet that makes her extremely smart and eloquent.
- Evil Sounds Deep: Dagri'Lon.
- Hellhole Prison: Dragonsreach. Both Larkspur and Gorr were imprisoned there. Larkspur was tortured and healed to survive more torture while he was imprisoned.
- Intrepid Merchant: Al'Hassan, a former Alik'r who left Kematu's squad to become a blacksmith in Morthal.
- Jerkass: Quite a few, but Brelas in the Riften Watchtower stands out. Even Dravos, a Dremora, thinks he needs to mellow out.
- Laughably Evil: Relic's initial and improperly repaired states have a disturbing fascination with the insides of organic beings.
- Loads and Loads of Characters: More than 200 - and still expanding.
- Lost Technology: Relic is a remnant of the Dwemer.
- One Last Job: Orenius Scilus is semi-retired, seeking to catch one last thief.
- Parental Incest: Rongeir has a less than savoury relationship with his daughter, Shelur. Though he genuinely seems to believe that she's not actually his daughter, but just the reincarnation of his wife (this is actually a real ancient Scandinavian belief that people can be reincarnated through their children). He does seem a bit shaken when you explain why his relationship with Shelur counts as incestuous.
You: There must be something about her that comes from you.
Rongeir: Huh, maybe your right. A few days a ago she stubbed her toe on a bucket, and then nearly took an axe to brook. Same thing I would do. I need some time to think about this; people don't break off a whole relationship just 'cause a stranger had something smart to say...
- Put on a Bus: Virayana the Vigilant as of the Dawnguard update. Considering what happens to the Hall of the Vigilant in Dawnguard, it's understandable.
- Raised by Orcs: Bergrisar, raised by giants.
- Really Gets Around: One of the Dibellan priestesses in Markarth will hit on you. Man, woman, other races. Talking to her reveals that she has slept with everyone but her parents - even the girl who had skin like mammoth cheese.
- Real Men Eat Meat: Gorr really likes horker meat. (He also strongly dislikes vegetables.)
- Retired Monster: Dravos the Dremora was once a loyal servant of Mehrunes Dagon, but now has devoted himself to Sanguine.
- Robot Buddy: Relic, a Centurion Spider found in Blackreach's War Quarter. He initially starts out as a Third-Person Person Jerkass, but depending on your actions he can become either a Nice Guy or an HK-47 Expy.
- Sociopathic Soldier: Haakon Iron Fist, who was imprisoned in the Windhelm dungeons and more or less court martialled and dishonourably discharged by Ulfric Stormcloak himself. Interestingly enough, he actually straddles the line between this an Well-Intentioned Extremist if you talk with him. So, type 4. Just wants to get things done in a way he sees as pragmatic. Emphasis on he sees as pragmatic.
- That Makes Me Feel Angry: Iria, who sounds like (and probably is) an Emo Teen, has to tell you, deadpan, that she is amused, or finds things funny.
- So Unfunny It's Funny: In universe: Larkspur mentions that only Gorr can laugh at the jokes he makes.
- Most of the jokes from the stoic mage girl in Whiterun are only found amusing (as amused as she can) by herself.