Gensokyu has never been this badass
is doujin Third Person Shooter
game by Twilight Frontier
. It stars Marisa Kirisame and doing what she does best: blowing stuff up
. DynaMarisa 3D
is essentially Touhou meets Earth Defense Force 2017
, but it does have some merits of its own to set some gameplay differences from the game it's based on. As the "3D" in the title implies
, the game be played with stereographic 3D visuals if the user's PC uses a video card that supports it.
The story premise of DynaMarisa 3D
has Marisa trying to break into the Scarlet Devil Mansion to "borrow" some books from Patchouli Knowledge's library, as usual. However, this would be the day when Marisa's book-borrowing days would be turned up-side down as she is surrounded by heavily-armed fairies and ant-like robots all under Patchouli's command. Under her orders, her army of robots and fairies lets loose with a barrage
to teach Marisa a lesson. Humiliated, Marisa flees from the scene but she wasn't giving up without a fight as she swore revenge against Patchouli to take down her legion of mooks
by forming army of faires of her own and arming herself to the teeth with an arsenal of weapons, thus the Patchouli Defense Force
The game was released on May 1st, 2011 for Windows PC during Comic 1☆5. The game later received a fan-made English patch
by the translators of Labyrinth of Touhou
, which can be downloaded here
DynaMarisa 3D tropes includes but are not limited to:
- Action Girl: Marisa. Sakuya, Remilia and Flandre, and even Patchouli also take part in turning Mecha-Mooks into wrecks.
- Attack of the 50-Foot Whatever
- Beam Spam
- Big Bad: Star Patchouli.
- Big Creepy Crawlies and Bug War: With killer robotic bugs.
- Big Damn Heroes: At the game's final stage, Sakuya, Remilia, Flandre, and Patchouli show up to fight back-up Marisa when Star Patchouli pulls a One-Winged Angel.
- Bottomless Magazines
- Bullet Hell: It's a Touhou game based on Earth Defense Force 2017 after all.
- Die, Chair! Die!: Do you hate seeing that dinning table with that perfectly delicious cake on top of it? Nuke it.
- Dual Boss: Stage 22 has Marisa pitted against two robo-Patchoulis.
- Excuse Plot: Just so Marisa can lay waste to robot bugs, heavily-armed fairies, and furniture.
- Everything Breaks: You can gun down giant vases, paintings of a wall, blow-up a marble pillar or two, and they will fall to pieces.
- Fairy Companion: Marisa and Patchouli have a squadron of fairies to fight alongside them.
- Fan Translation: From the translation team that also worked on Touhou Labyrinth.
- Friendly Fireproof: Like in Earth Defense Force 2017, your fairy allies can't hurt you, but you can hurt them.
- Five-Man Band:
- Floating Continent: Star Patchouli, the game's Final Boss.
- Flying Saucer and Mook Maker: The Patchouli-esque spaceships and Star Patchouli.
- Girly Run: As menacing the robotic Patchoulis are, they run as girly as Patchouli.
- Harder Than Hard, Idiosyncratic Difficulty Levels: In DynaMarisa 3D, you have have (from easiest to hellish) Easy, Normal, Hard, Lunatic, and Master.
- Heart Container: The Life-Up items (which looks like the 1-Ups from Mega Mari) can raise Marisa's HP by 2.
- Humiliation Conga: Marisa got it handed to by Patchouli (of all people), and she's not gonna take it lightly.
- Humongous Mecha: Marisa faces giant Patchouli-esque robots at one point of the game.
- Infinity+1 Gun: Some of the bonus end-game weapons can qualify. Even certain high-level weapons with the right weapon modifers can be this, too.
- Infinity-1 Gun: The Metamorphosis Elixer, a weapon obtained after clearing all 26 stages on Master difficulty, let's the player dispense every weapon in storage. Sounds awesome at first, the once you get to very last weapon in holding, it'll be the only weapon to use for the remainder of the mission. This mean you'll need high-grade weapons to make good use of it and make sure to save best weapon for last. Even still, the weapon can be quite deadly.
- Little Miss Badass, Token Mini Moe: Remilia and Flandre, both cute vampire sisters packing heat with a sniper rifle and missile launcher respectively.
- Little Miss Snarker: Marisa.
- Mecha-Mooks: Ho boy...
- More Dakka: With assault rifles, shotguns, sniper rifles, rocket launchers, missile launchers, automated gun turrets, and grenades, Marisa Kirisame can never have enough dakka, ze!
- New Game Plus: In the veins of Earth Defense Force 2017.
- Nintendo Hard: Take the onslaught that Earth Defense Force 2017 provides, then you add some Touhou-levels of Bullet Hell and bring the level of sheer chaos Up to Eleven and you have this game.
- Not the Fall That Kills You: Marisa can jump off a tower several stories above ground, and she can walk it off no problem upon landing.
- One-Winged Angel: Star Patchouli does this during the final battle.
- Painfully Slow Projectile: Some of the Forbidden Launchers are very slow-moving balls of magical energy.
- Random Drops: Unlike Earth Defense Force 2017, weapons dropped from enemies can have one or more weapon modifiers that can alter the statistic strengths of the gun and/or how the weapon behaves.
- Recurring Location: Seeing that same humongous foyer in the Scarlet Devil Mansion, that same giant dinning room, the same huge garden, the same underground basement area may cause some déjà vu.
- Redshirt Army: The fairy allies that accompany Marisa and the Patchouli Defense Force.
- Roboteching: The Forbidden Launchers.
- Say My Name: Marisa screams in Patchouli's name when Patchouli performs her (off-screen) Heroic Sacrifice at the end of Stage 22.
- Shout Out: "PDF! PDF! PDF!"
- Stuff Blowing Up
- The End... Or Is It?: The ending of game reveals that the remains of Star Patchouli is active.
- Theme Naming: Marisa's weapons are named after the main characters of Touhou 06 ~ The Embodiment of Scarlet Devil.
- Yin-Yang Riflesnote — Reimu Hakurei
- Edge Gunsnote — Sakuya Izayoi
- Five-Elements Cannonsnote — Patchouli Knowledge
- Spear Riflesnote — Remilia Scarlet
- Forbidden Launchersnote — Flandre Scarlet
- Magic Potionsnote — Marisa Kirisame
- Performing Arts Gunsnote — Hong Meiling
- Panty Shot: It is possible up Sakuya's and the fairies' (both your allies and enemies) dress and peek at their panties.
- X Meets Y: Again, it's Touhou-meets-Earth Defense Force 2017.
- Zerg Rush: The basic attack method of the Elite Mooks of the game.