Tropers: James Shade
I'm a 20-something male troper from an undisclosed location somewhere in the mid-Atlantic. I have an unhealthy fascination with Gorn, Science Fiction Conspiracy Thrillers (and to a lesser extent, Conspiracy Thrillers in general) and Death Metal. Also watches a lot of CBS Police Procedurals, although I'm always seeking to integrate programming from other networks (if only the other broadcast nets would actually step up to the plate in terms of quality and/or genre programming, especially in the 8pm hour where the cable nets are always dormant). I'm a pretty big fan of NASCAR and the NFL, too.
Tropes associated with this individual:
- Asperger's Syndrome: Has this. Often plays it as Ambiguous Disorder around strangers - if they even notice anything weird (my case is pretty mild).
- Berserk Button: I've got a big one of these when it comes to NASCAR, and a slightly smaller one for the NFL.
- Big Word Shout: Frequently.
- Brain Bleach:
- Every now and again, my own mindscape cranks out something that has me reaching for a bucket of this.
- I've also seen my fair share of bleach-worthy images on forums better left unmentioned.
- Catch Phrase: I cycle through a few of these. Currently, my favorite is "I Have a Theory on That" and a couple of variants that reflect how seriously I'm saying that.note
- Also, "Don't worry, no one else does [remembers] either", as a Take That at fallen celebrities and short-lived fads.
- Cluster F-Bomb: I've used this in fits of bloodrage.
- Conspiracy Theory: I believe in several, some of them pretty standard, although a few are sort of out there.
- Darker and Edgier:
- My dreamscape's been going this route lately. It's mostly of the blood-and-gore variety.
- Over the course of first grade to twelfth grade, my musical tastes more-or-less followed this progression, shifting from classical to country to alt-rock/alt-metal to metalcore to death metal.(although I still listen to moderate amounts of metalcore and alt-rock/metal)
- Death Metal: Primarily a fan of the Brutal-Technical variety, but I'm into at least a few bands from all forms except Slam.
- Gorn: The above-mentioned fascination w/ this probably mostly stems from my love for Death Metal. If I didn't I probably couldn't stomach watching The Walking Dead or The Following, let alone both.
- Large Ham: When I want to be. When I don't, though, I'm actually pretty quiet.
- Metalcore: I'm still pretty into this genre too.
- No Indoor Voice: It's a family trait, but I kinda turn it Up to Eleven, even compared to my relatives.
- Nostalgia Filter: I invoke this w/ regards to certain networks - most noticeably, ABC. My memories of their 2001-04 period are basically tantamount to Pure Awesomeness, ignoring the whole "fourth in the ratings" issue, and I was not happy that Desperate Housewives and Grey's Anatomy brought the net out of the grave and influenced its later programming. I was especially bad on not acknoweldging Alias's Seasonal Rot for quite a few years, and I still remember Threat Matrix as "that show that was so awesome when I was thirteen".
- No True Scotsman: My first-instinct response to any band who plays Deathcore, in relation to both Death Metal and Metalcore.
- Precision F-Strike: If I'm angry but not in a bloodrage, I'll generally aim for this in expressing said anger.
- Self-Deprecation: I use this to help keep my flaws in check. Sadly, it doesn't always work.
- Sesquipedalian Loquaciousness: As a side effect of the Aspergers, I slip into this on occasion.
- Shout-Out: I do this a lot. Every third sentence contains a reference to something or another. Hell, my Troper name is one of these. (to Resident Evil)
- Straw Nihilist: Subverted. Despite statements elsewhere indicating a belief that humanity has forfeited the right to perpetuate its existence through a pungent combination of stupidity and psychopathy (which do exist, and in troubling quantities), I see too many good people around, and see too many of their efforts succeed, to truly believe that human existence is in fact a pointless endeavour.
- Trade Snark: As of late January 2013, I started adding this to my current Catch Phrase.
- Unusual Euphemism: I use a few, most notably "waffle" as one for a particular female body part.