Tropers / James Shade
I'm a 20-something male troper from an undisclosed location somewhere in the mid-Atlantic. I have an unhealthy fascination with Gorn
, Science Fiction Conspiracy Thrillers
(and to a lesser extent, Conspiracy Thrillers
in general) and Death Metal
. Also watches a lot of CBS Police Procedurals
, although I'm always seeking to integrate programming from other networks (if only the other broadcast nets would actually step up to the plate in terms of quality and/or genre programming, especially in the 8pm hour where the cable nets are always dormant). I'm a pretty big fan of NASCAR
and the NFL
Tropes associated with this individual:
- Asperger's Syndrome: Has this. Often plays it as Ambiguous Disorder around strangers - if they even notice anything weird (my case is pretty mild).
- Berserk Button: I've got a big one of these when it comes to NASCAR, and a slightly smaller one for the NFL.
- Big Word Shout: Frequently.
- Brain Bleach:
- Every now and again, my own mindscape cranks out something that has me reaching for a bucket of this.
- I've also seen my fair share of bleach-worthy images on forums better left unmentioned.
- Catch-Phrase: I cycle through a few of these. Currently, my favorite is "I Have a Theory on That" and a couple of variants that reflect how seriously I'm saying that.note
- Also, "Don't worry, no one else does [remembers] either", as a Take That! at fallen celebrities and short-lived fads.
- Cluster F-Bomb: I've used this in fits of bloodrage.
- Conspiracy Theory: I believe in several, some of them pretty standard, although a few are sort of out there.
- Darker and Edgier:
- My dreamscape's been going this route lately. It's mostly of the blood-and-gore variety.
- Over the course of first grade to twelfth grade, my musical tastes more-or-less followed this progression, shifting from classical to country to alt-rock/alt-metal to metalcore to death metal.(although I still listen to moderate amounts of metalcore and alt-rock/metal)
- Death Metal: Primarily a fan of the Brutal-Technical variety, but I'm into at least a few bands from all forms except Slam.
- Gorn: The above-mentioned fascination w/ this probably mostly stems from my love for Death Metal. If I didn't I probably couldn't stomach watching The Walking Dead or The Following, let alone both.
- Large Ham: When I want to be. When I don't, though, I'm actually pretty quiet.
- Metalcore: I'm still pretty into this genre too.
- No Indoor Voice: It's a family trait, but I kinda turn it Up to 11, even compared to my relatives.
- Nostalgia Filter: I invoke this w/ regards to certain networks - most noticeably, ABC. My memories of their 2001-04 period are basically tantamount to Pure Awesomeness, ignoring the whole "fourth in the ratings" issue, and I was not happy that Desperate Housewives and Grey's Anatomy brought the net out of the grave and influenced its later programming. I was especially bad on not acknoweldging Alias's Seasonal Rot for quite a few years, and I still remember Threat Matrix as "that show that was so awesome when I was thirteen".
- No True Scotsman: My first-instinct response to any band who plays Deathcore, in relation to both Death Metal and Metalcore.
- Precision F-Strike: If I'm angry but not in a bloodrage, I'll generally aim for this in expressing said anger.
- Self-Deprecation: I use this to help keep my flaws in check. Sadly, it doesn't always work.
- Sesquipedalian Loquaciousness: As a side effect of the Aspergers, I slip into this on occasion.
- Shout-Out: I do this a lot. Every third sentence contains a reference to something or another. Hell, my Troper name is one of these. (to Resident Evil)
- Straw Nihilist: Subverted. Despite statements elsewhere indicating a belief that humanity has forfeited the right to perpetuate its existence through a pungent combination of stupidity and psychopathy (which do exist, and in troubling quantities), I see too many good people around, and see too many of their efforts succeed, to truly believe that human existence is in fact a pointless endeavour.
- Trade Snark: As of late January 2013, I started adding this to my current Catch-Phrase.
- Unusual Euphemism: I use a few, most notably "waffle" as one for a particular female body part.