The Scrappy: Mortal Kombat
Generally, most of Mortal Kombat's scrappies emerged from the post-2D games. Given that many fans could probably count the few popular characters introduced from MK4 all the way to Armageddon on their fingers and still have a few to spare, this was a bit unsurprising.
- The Elder Gods are widely hated by the fans. They're fully aware of the terrible things going on in the games, and even more so, that these escalating battles could undo reality as we know it. Despite this, they never lift a single finger to help.
- The original Mortal Kombat 1 had Liu Kang. His high-pitched screeching makes one presume that Shaolin monks castrate themselves or something. Not to mention that he had what is probably the lamest fatality ever created: a cartwheel followed by a punch to the face. Make no mistake, it looks like a pretty solid punch, but considering that Johnny Cage would punch your head off, and Sub-Zero would rip out your friggin' spine, it seemed lacking by comparison.
- MK3 gave us Nightwolf. Ethnic Scrappy? Check. Game Breaker? Check. Thankfully, he was fixed by Deception.
- Worse still was Stryker. Word of God is they wanted him to contrast the rest of the roster, but a beer gut and backwards baseball cap was taking things a bit too far. Generally fans felt he was way out of place, being a terrible male counterpart to Sonya Blade and a generic police officer in a game with a mystical storyline. And to some extent, he was a bit of a Tier-Induced Scrappy due to his move pool.
- Mortal Kombat 4 had three Replacement Scrappies in the form of Tanya, Reiko and Jarek.
- Tanya had been a last minute palette swap for Kitana, possessing many of her moves and even her Kiss of Death fatality. Fortunately, her treacherous personality changed the fanbase's perception on her and inmediately became a fan favorite.
- Reiko, in the eyes of Noob Saibot's fans, who wanted the latter to be added instead of him. Along with Tanya, didn't last long when Noob is added as a secret character and another fan favorite was born.
- Jarek was even worse given he had no real personality and all his moves were clearly Kano's, including his trademark laser-eye-beam fatality, despite not even having a laser eye. He was swapped in for Kano late in development due to a desire for a new character. He was fixed a bit in Armageddon, giving new moves, and as a result, he's currently a Base Breaker.
- Hsu Hao (pictured above) from Mortal Kombat: Deadly Alliance, to the extent that even the creators dislike him. Even to this day, Netherealm Studios alluded to their dislike of his character:
Fan: (upon seeing Kano's design) Would Hsu Hao be jealous of that chest piece?Ed Boon: Yes, and we don't care.
- Actually Hsu Hao reappears in the MKX comics as well... for about one or two pages, in which he is instantly and brutally killed by Scorpion, who tells him to buzz off.
- To a lesser extent, Mokap for being a joke character. His concept was ridiculous and scrutinized for being lazy, and even made Screw Attack's "Top Ten Worst Mortal Kombat Characters" list.
- Drahmin for being difficult to control (he's one of the only playable characters that had no dial-a-combos), not to mention the irritating flies that follow him around.
- Bo' Rai Cho gets a fair bit of hate. A lot of players felt the weaponized vomiting and farting weren't all that funny.
- Moloch is also hated for being an incredibly cheap midboss.
- In Mortal Kombat: Deception most of the newly introduced Deception characters qualify for this, with the exception of Havik and Ashrah.
- Shujinko, who is a flipping idiot and a Replacement Scrappy for Liu Kang.
- Darrius and Dairou. They're seen as not really fitting in with the MK storyline in general. Darrius catches some extra flak for being a Flat Character and a poor man's version of Jax.
- Kira for ripping off Sonya and Kano.
- Kobra for being a poor man's Ken Masters.
- In Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe, DC fans seemed to view Baraka as this. Ironic since you'd think they'd enjoy the opportunity to see Batman and Superman attack a violent mutant with Blade Below the Shoulder.
- Jax's announcement as a character was met with groans of dismay, especially when one of the other characters revealed was the Joker.
- Mortal Kombat 9's story has gotten Sindel a lot of hatred, to the point many are labelling her as this. She appears out of nowhere and effortlessly kills many well liked characters in rapid succession.