Before Malibu had a crack at a Mortal Kombat comic series, Midway did a few official comics based off of 1, 2, 4 and an unreleased one for Deception as well. The first 2 comics were advertised in their respective games' Attract Modes
They serve to fill in backstory details about the games as best as possible although their canon status is questionable.
The series provides the following tropes:
- Badass in a Nice Suit: Our very first introduction to the younger Sub-Zero in the MKII comic? Seeing the guy in a business suit happily offering Lin Kuei calling cards to Liu Kang and Kung Lao. He dons his more familiar ninja garb soon after, though.
- Early-Bird Cameo: Sub-Zero is at one point seen giving a command to otherwise-unknown secret character Smoke in the MKII comic, essentially showing them to be fellow Lin Kuei, which was confirmed by later games. A red ninja can also be seen in the same panel, and these days many a fan can be forgiven for believing it to be a human Sektor.
- Magic from Technology: In between the events of 3 and 4, it seems Sonya Blade and the rest of the Special Forces were able to use technology to achieve what Shang Tsung and other Outworlders did with magic: Such as opening portals with a nuclear generator. Kokonoe would be proud.
- Mythology Gag: In the MK4 comic, Sindel punishes Reptile for his services in Shao Kahn's name by sending him to eternal labour in the cobalt mines of Shokan, a location commonly seen in Mortal Kombat: Conquest.
- Paper-Thin Disguise: Quan Chi claiming to be from a realm called "Treche." As in "treachery." To Sindel's credit she does seem skeptical at first (having never heard of such a realm before) up until Quan Chi offers her a pretty orb that completely catches her attention.