In The Order of the Stick, I prepared explosive runes this morning. Likewise, V's familiar that is forgotten by everybody except when they need him to be around.
- Early on, there was the Running Gag of Roy's dad's ghost coming by to give him advice at night. This led to another running gag: whenever he repeated the advice, someone would ask "Isn't your dad dead?" and Roy would nonchalantly respond "Yes." and go on without further explanation.
- Also, Elan's illusions almost always end up being a female version of whoever he tries to distract. I count two targets happily married/committed, one gay, and one with a schoolboyish fear of girls (though that one worked to scare him off).
- Then there's Elan's recurring hand puppet/personal deity, Banjo.
- V's newfound epic power turning out to be unnecessary is a running gag that's been developed in record time.
- Falling characters landing on flumphs. Even when Belcar made a flumph from sand. Even a ghost flumph gets flattened by a spirit. The one time it was averted, it was lampshaded in the next comic.
- Durkon and his feud with trees. Also lampshaded, as in the page quote.
- The Monster In The Darkness not knowing what the gates are. "Gate? What gate?"
- "Detect evil/good!" - *lifts lead sheet* - "Stop oppressing my culture, you ethnocentric bitch!"
- Nobody is yet sure whether the Resistance is called exactly that, or the Azure City Underground. Or the Sapphire Liberation Front. Or the Rebel Alliance...
- V's "DAMNATIONS!"
- "I've got two words for you..."
Vaarsuvius: I may be in error, but I believe the appropriate proclamation is "Sneak attack, bitch!"