Roleplay: Rise Of The Magic Girls
"Magic is real. Despite this world focus on the power of science, people everywhere have powers unexplainable. But the fear that they are alone, that they are a freak, make them unable to stand up and shout out that fact.I know, I'm a magic girl myself. Well maybe that's a little wrong, I'm a girl with magic, but when I go magic girl, I'm a guy. You know, gender-bend. Anyway I'm also afraid. That why I'm making this recording that will probably never see the light of day. So you, in however many years it will be after my death when someone listens to this recording, may want to ask, why we don't do good. Because there's nothing to use it on. Crimes are sorted by the police, there are no supervillians. Third world's problems better solved by smart ideas then someone with power. So until the world actually needs us, hopefully never, we magic girls shall stay as fiction, away from the limelight.
-Harriet Bradley/The Undead Swordsman, describing the life of magical girls.
Rise of the Magic Girls is yet another Bay12 freeform roleplay, centring around the lives of six magical girls (and boys), and how they are affected when one day, they are all forced together to fight off a new alien army that will conquer the world if left unopposed. These magical girls (and boys) have many different skills and powers which they are now pushed to use on pain of the world's end, and they must now band together to protect the freedom of the world from invading alien army.
Also, a lot of Slice of Life
elements and Shipping
Recently changed G Ms
(now being run by smurfingtonthethird, after being taken over by Iaman Elf Collaborator
) as well as system, in an attempt to fix gae balance and clean up the clutter in general. Here are the second IC
threads. The original main thread is here
, and the OOC thread was here
This roleplay contains examples of:
- Action Girl: Pretty well most of the primary cast. Anima and Nuriel in particular.
- Aerith and Bob: A case with the magical names. There's Anima and Nuriel, alongside Not Kyle and Ghost.
- Alien Invasion
- Amusing Injuries: While injuries are usually handled realistically, in combat hit points are used, which can sometimes be...amusing.
: IT STILL FEELS LIKE I'M FUCKING DYING RICHARD! I HAVE A FUCKING KATANA IN MY CHEST AND YOU WANT ME TO JUST WALK IT OFF?
- Anti-Villain: Tabella.
- Arbitrary Scepticism: For all the magical stuff Kyle has seen, he refuses to believe in souls. Despite several of his friends and allies manipulating souls, taking tricks to the Underworld, or--in Anima's case--actually ''being'' a soul.
- Art Initiates Life: Selina/Ghost's schtick. So far, the only permanent life has been Conny.
- Also Tabella's power, but paint based to Selina's pencil/pen based.
- Most recently Grandiose who, like Tabella, uses paint for his power.
- Ars Goetia
- Andras and Andromalius, both of whom have more modernized appearances. (Andras wears an owl mask rather than having an owl head, Andromalius uses a whip-like that strikes in a manner reminiscent of a snake rather than holding a serpent.)
- Of note is that the latter isn't a proper demon in this setting, it's a nom de guerre inherited by people contracted by Fate, she's also noticeably darker than her Ars Goetia depiction with the theft prevention/punishment measure being a directed false vacuum metastability event traveling at c faction speeds towards vital organs.
- Attack! Attack! Attack!: While some characters exhibit this from time to time, due to most combat actions being variations on "Attack," a notable example is Keith, who kept attacking a horde of [[Warhammer40000 Necron Flayed Ones]].
- Awesomeness by Analysis: Will
- Bash Brothers: ICARUS and Isaac in V3, against the Sigil Golem.
- Beware the Nice Ones: EVERYONE. (Well, except those who aren't nice, of course.)
- Blood Knight: Gintama, and to a lesser extent, Not Kyle and Nuriel.
- Demons Run is one knighthood from being a literal one.
- Blow You Away: Kyle/Not Kyle
- Break the Cutie: Selina suffers this in backstory.
- She suffers this ingame too. Her mother finds out she's a lesbian and disowns her, and then she is essentially subjected to Mind Rape. Luckily Maria and Angel fix it....for now.
- Break the Haughty: Demons Run is forever separated from her lover due to the world existing.
- Breaking the Fourth Wall: Played with. Tabella drew into existence two forumgoers (GreatWyrmGold and Xantalos, the former of whom was playing in the game).
- Rhadamanthys and Kyle are the resident breakers of the fourth wall.
- Aedan (Not Kyle) has taken Kyle's place as a forth wall breaker for the most part now.
- Canon Immigrant: Literally. After the crossover, Meme and various characters from Super Academy moved to the Rise of the Magic Girls universe.
- Child Prodigy: Angel.
- Children Are Innocent: By default, at least. The older characters tend to try and get Angel and Alistair out of hearing when they discuss more mature matters.
- Cloud Cuckoo Lander: Kyle and Gintama when he isn't being a Jerkass.
- Conveniently an Orphan: Dalia's parents conveniently die due to tragic circumstances before the v3 thread starts, allowing to abandon everything in her home country of France and join everyone in Australia.
- Crossover: With Lost and Found of the Multiverse, due to Elf and Twi. Later with Super Academy and Twilight Academy.
- The Conspiracy: Two of them. IRIS the organization run by Uncle Johnson, and Yuri's Family who's run by... Yuri's Family.
- Crazy Cat Lady: Apparently, Neferis.
- She's also an Ancient Egyptian construct and very shy, meaning it was practically fated for her to become one.
- Cutting the Knot: Rather than interrogating someone whose body possessed something to prevent his mind being read, Alice decapitates them and uses hte gap between decapitation and brain death to extract the necessary information.
- Didn't Think This Through: Happened several times, most notably when Nuriel took Angel hostage.
Maria: "So, you kidnap a CHILD, demand that we run an errand for you like servants, and you don't even know what you want from us?"
- The Ditz: Nuriel probably qualifies, especially when compared to Angel.
- Eldritch Abomination: Demons Run seems to be this. Actually, she is the spirit that made the universe.
- Even Evil Has Standards: Jacque, after ICARUS attempts to bind Jacque in an extradimensional prison for eternity because she stole "her" kill, notes that her standards mean that she won't attack an ally.
- Of course, she could have brought down the wrath of a god of justice when she did that. She didn't but still...
- Evil Twin: Selina/Ghost and Tabella are both shy/submissive, and both have powers involving creating creatures and items from drawings.
- Fairy Companion: Conny, sort of.
- Fighting Irish: Not Kyle in a nutshell.
- Five-Man Band: In magical form:
- In normal form:
- Face-Heel Turn: Dark Ash and any other human magical girls who joined the aliens.
- Fluffy Tamer: Kyle manages to tame a manticore with relative ease.
- Fluffy the Terrible: Fluffy. A manticore tamed by Kyle.
- Flying Firepower: Nuriel.
- Gender Bender: Some magic girls have this when they change, like Harriet and Cyrus.
- Genius Ditz: Despite being able to make Lasers and Powered Armor, Kyle is almost completely without common sense.
: ''"Wow, Kyle is such a Genius Ditz he can invent powered armor and mecha, but can't even KILL HIMSELF
- Giant Space Flea from Nowhere: The archon that was summoned without rhyme or reason after the group beat some assassins in a park.
- Girl-on-Girl Is Hot: Presumably Kyle's train of thought...
- Good Is Not Nice: Gintama, Nuriel, etc.
- Grand Theft Me: Nuriel has attempted a temporary version of this on Angel, Selina, and Kyle in attempts to make mischief, aided by the mind-sharing bracelets Selina made.
- Grow Beyond Their Programming: Averted. This is stated to be impossible. Of the three AI-like characters, two of them are entities that can interact with the world via objects that contain the code associated with them, even if the code cannot be processed. The third isn't sentient and simply passes the Turing Test with flying colors.
- Has Two Mommies: While no literal examples exist, the presence of two Team Moms and the number of tropers playing the game lead to jokes in this vein.
Great Wyrm Gold
: "Maria/Anima might be the Team Mon, but Selina is Angel's surrogate Mom!
Iamanelfcollaborator: "Guess that makes Angel have Two Mommies. Heh."
Great Wyrm Gold
: "Indeed. Assuming you don't count her biological mommy, of course.
- Heart Is an Awesome Power: Selina/Ghost can draw things into existence. While this has so far been used to create equipment, create Conny (off-screen), and animate a drawing of an angel, other uses have been discussed, from various magical items to perpetual motion machines.
- Hot-Blooded: Nuriel.
- Humanoid Aliens: The Layar.
- Idiot Ball: Nearly the entire cast sees no problem with giving Not!Selina a body with virtually no safeguards which was, initially, going to be nearly indestructible. After she had threatened to kill Richard, Will, and others.
- Actually, only the bones would have been indestructible and they would transmit force so well (since parts of it would briefly dislocate and impale organs) without even spreading it out like other materials that a strong strike could cleave through it with more ease than a normal body and there would have been 7 people with the capability to shut it down.
- Conflict Ball: Will's disagreement with this caused dozens of pages of arguments and made Kyle want to kill Will.
- Implied Death Threat
: Do so and you shall learn of things more blasphemous to existence than Apep.
- Incredibly Lame Pun: Many.
Rhadamanthys: "Can we quit punning and start getting to plot? I'm sorry, and I probably sound like a hypocrite, but all of you have bad puns. Except Angel. And she's the YOUNGEST."
- Innocent Prodigy: Angel
- It Makes Sense in Context: More often than not, given how unusual the trials the girls face is.
Will: So nice to see people standing up for a man's right to have his arm ripped off by his girlfriend instead of chopped of by a psycho who can control paper. That's probably in the top 5 of weirdest things I've said today.
Cyrielle: ...So just to clarify, you are the result of a several hour long ordeal that had partial sensory input that was the result of playing a game of Truth or Dare in the middle of combat? At what point did the people there think it was remotely a good idea?
- Killed Off for Real: Matt.
- Kill It with Water: Sobek attempts a fairly reasonable variation on this idea: Drowning a horde of enemies. However, the enemies in question are described as "crocodile-dog hybrids". Both dogs and (especially) crocodiles can swim well, so it's not very effective.
- Played straight however when Sobek empowers his Innundation with Unstoppable Rage.
- Large Ham: Anima, Gintama, Not Kyle, and Nuriel.
- Light Is Not Good: Nuriel looks like an angel and has the name of an angel, but she is far from angelic in disposition.
- Luminescent Blush: Selina blushes easily. In one scene (which involved Angel trying to get a sleeping, half-naked Maria off of Selina, with a spectator), it was noted that Selina's face was probably completely red.
- Magic A Is Magic A: Numerous examples.
- Will's ability often comes with justification to how he reached his conclusion each time it's used.
- Alfred's magic is governed by, of all things, interest rates and the stock market.
- Magical Girl: But of course!
- Magical Girl Warrior: The titular magical girls.
- Magically Binding Contract: Faustian and Wall Street Contracts. The latter being harder to use and having a limited scope but able to bind anything.
- Mama Bear: While none of them are their actual children, both Selina/Ghost and Maria/Anima are like this towards the entire team.
- Inverted for Angel, who threatened Demons Run when Demons Run had "broken" Selina. (It's never explained exactly what she try to would do, however...)
- Masquerade: Not for long...
- Massive Multiverse Crossover: The crossover adventure between Rise of the Magic Girls, TwilightAcademy, and Super Academy just barely qualifies.
- Meaningful Name: Angel turns into, well...an angel.
- Played with with Nuriel, who shares a name with an angel of hailstorms despite the name translating as "Fire of the Lord" (more appropriate for Nuriel). The biblical Nuriel is also among the tallest of angels, which is also appropriate as Nuriel is among the tallest of the player characters.
- Mind Hive: Angel and Nuriel seem quite independent of one another.
- Mook: The crocodile/dog creatures used by the Layar.
- Morality Chain: Annie and Wheatley are this to Andromalius since they are technically aspects of the entity she works for. Downplayed however as Andromalius' actions are only slightly less amoral as a result.
- MST3K Mantra: A variant is invoked here in response to Sanure trying to determine what type of thermite charges were being used:
Great Wyrm Gold
: Does it matter? The planes we intend to use them on are about as aerodynamic as a brick and yet have the range of an advanced transoceanic jet, and have plating made from an alloy that negates nearby demonic magics. The precise chemical nature of the burny charges isn't important.
- Mythology Upgrade: Numerous.
- Ra has what amounts to a solar death ray.
- Abraxas possesses the ability to use the antithesis of all that exists.
- Andromalius lacks any bindings and can generate false vacuum metastability events at will.
- Loki is considered equivalent to a god.
- Ansansi can, of all things, use bad fanfiction as venom.
- The true angels that popped up possess world-destroying capabilities.
- The Rainbow Serpent is an eldritch entity on par with pantheon leading gods in terms of power that exists beyond the veil of space and time with the ability to cause liquefaction in substances that normally should not experience it, use piezoelectric abilities, inject enemies with live sharks (amongst other Australian organisms) and simultaneously exists in the past, present and future. Consequently, it is apparently an exception to some of the settings rules on time travel.
- One of Us: In-Universe, Kyle. Out of the game, most (if not all) of the players.
- Only Sane Man: While Maria, Richard, Cyrielle, Will, and at times other characters are vocally rational, the sheer number of non-sane characters renders these few effectively the lone pillars of sanity.
- Other Me Annoys Me: Angel (among others) is constantly aggravated by Nuriel, especially when she transforms on her own.
- Matt feels similarly about Gintama.
- Our Angels Are Different: Nuriel (with the angelic name, Winged Humanoid appearance, and being the magical form of a girl named "Angel") looks something like modern depictions of angels save for the outfit, but as far as personality goes she's not much like them.She is also secretly an exiled demon.
- Our Centaurs Are Different: Chiron appears to be a Familiar or a Persona, rather than an actual centaur.
- Our Demons Are Different: Abraxas, who wields darkness and gravity but not fire, as would be expected. He otherwise fits the stereotypical demon, except for personality.
- Nuriel is also actually a demon. She describes "corrupting" souls in hopes of being rewarded by someone or another when that individual dies, and says that "succubus" is a job title rather than a species. She was exiled by being bound inside the minds of innocent little girls.
- Our Fairies Are Different: Conny was originally drawn into being about six inches tall, but was later made 3'6" tall. She can also use "fae magic," notably including healing.
- Papa Wolf: Inverted with Alistair, who calls out Matt after he rejects Maria and Selina.
- Personality Powers: Played with. Several of the Magical Girls have personalities which fit their powers or vice versa, such as the hot-blooded pyrokinetic Nuriel or the drunken and drunk-inducing Gintama. However, these do not necessarily correspond with the girls' non-magical personalities, and many of them do not have such obvious correlations between powers and personalities.
- Physical God: Demons Run is the spirit that created the universe.
- Playing with Fire: Nuriel. Angel later discovered she could do so in her human form.
- Post-Modern Magik: Many. Examples include:
- Legally binding Faustian contracts
- Summoning eldritch entities via the main line of a computer program
- Magic-based UA Vs
- Stock-market determined Equivalent Exchange
- Using the Legions of Hell to D Do S people with their computers
- Powered Armor: Kyle makes some. It has so far been upgraded to fly and to have extra armor along side it's on board AI to help improve reaction time. This has made Kyle more than fit for battle.
- Power Born of Madness: Downplayed by Alice. Her premeditation ability is dependent on what she thinks will happen, so in some cases, decieving her or hiding details can make it ignore factors such as invincibility or intangibility.
- Power Gives You Wings: Angel/Nuriel.
- Power Incontinence: Nuriel can force Angel to transform into her without her consent.
- Put on a Bus: Cyrus.
- Pyro Maniac: Nuriel, unfortunately...
- Real Life Writes the Plot: The player playing Cyrus couldn't keep up with the massive amounts of roleplay in this game, so he had to drop out.
- The absence of several players during the battle with Amy Hart contributed to the death of Matt.
- Defied in a more general sense by the common practice of "retconning" actions or comments into the narrative after a period of absence.
- Reptiles Are Abhorrent: The invading army, the Layars, are covered in scales and their war dogs look like a hybrid of a dog and a crocodile. They are also cold-blooded. However Tabella says they are not that difference to Humans, indicating they look like humans(no elongated faces for example and tails have never been mention.)
- Sobek, the Egyptian god of the Nile is available as one of Anima's summons. Also an Ax-Crazy crocodilian abomination who loves drowning his enemies and taking glee in it.
- Screw This, I'm Out of Here!: Will, upon seeing that the school was being destroyed by manticores, promptly left, noting that it was probably a dream and that if it wasn't, he wouldn't be able to do much.
- Sealed Evil in a Can: Demons Run, with the can being Yuri and other girls in her family.
- Secret Keeper: Alistair to Maria.
- Shipper on Deck: Aside from the players giving varying degrees of support to assorted pairings, Kyle seems to be shipping Selina/Maria.
- Ship Tease: Oh yes. The main ships teased currently are Selina/Nuriel, Yuri/Selina and Conny/Rhad. And those are just the ships that don't utterly break minds to comprehend. Other ships have been teased, including Matt/Kyle, Angel/Alistair and, of all things, Nuriel/Demons Run.
- It's telling that part of the comedy of this RP is made from this when there are really only two confirmed, reciprocated pairings (Maria/Selina, Kyle/Conny).
- Not anymore with Selina/Yuri, Selina/Nuriel and Richard/Camille.
- A special mention goes to Lucas/Izzy mainly because the latter is both a Shrinking Violet AND a Tsundere.
- Sarcasm-Blind: ICARUS.
: "In other news, water is wet, fire is hot, and Hai is short."
ICARUS: "Information already in databank."
- Shout-Out: Too many to count.
- Slice of Life
- Spell My Name with an "S": Conny/Connie.
- Tagalong Kid: Alistair seems to subvert this, although it's too early to say for certain.
- Team Mom: Maria/Anima, and to a lesser extent Selina as well (particularly to Angel).
- Teen Genius: Kyle, who made Powered Armor by himself!
- This Is Reality:
Albrecht: "Seriously, you people take things too seriously. I try to be less serious and I get a punch and a nosebleed for all my troubles."
Will: "This is real life. What, do you expect us to treat it like some kind of silly game?"
- Token Mini-Moe: Angel is five years old. Most of the rest of the cast is in their teenaged years.
- Triple Shifter: While it hasn't come up, it is specifically noted that Angel transforming into Nuriel is resting like sleep would be. Assuming the same holds for the other girls, this would be a justified trope if it comes into play.
- Wham Episode: Matt being killed at the hands of Amy Hart. And the subsequent rage of Anima and Not Kyle.
- A triple whammy from Rhadamanthys: talking about the Lost and Found, the revelation that the girl he's been faithful to for so long is dead, and the fact that he may or may have not had a troubled childhood.
- Wham Line: Nuriel admitting to being a demon.
- Matt losing Gintama's gin form.
- "Camille Leblanc was dead."
- Wham Episode: Gerard detonating explosives placed in a school and a heavily populated city.
- Winged Humanoid: Nuriel, Demons Run. Selina becomes one after a trip to TwilightAcademy.
- Wizard Duel: The first half of Ghost vs Grandiose which took place on a ship.
- Woobie, Destroyer of Worlds: Demons Run created the universe, but to keep it from being destroyed must remain away from her beloved brother. This is tragic in and of itself, but she releases her tragedy by periodically going on murderous rampages. One of these was evidently through Hell...
- You Can't Fight Fate: Fate will eventually succeed. But only from its point of view since it perceives infinity as a finite number, as a result, the universe is not endless to it, it will simply take a very long time to cease existing and Fate is willing to wait that long. However, as everything else does not, the universe will never end from their point of view.
- Urban Fantasy