Recap: The Simpsons S 8 E 1 Treehouse Of Horror VII
Episode - 4F02
First Aired - 10/27/1996Treehouse of Horror VII is a Treehouse of Horror Halloween episode of The Simpsons and the first episode of the eighth season.This year's tales of terror include Bart meeting his long-lost Siamese twin who lives in the attic and has gone insane, Lisa becoming a goddess to a small civilization she created out of a tooth, some cola, and Bart zapping her with static electricity, and Homer trying to stop Kang and Kodos from posing as Bill Clinton and Bob Dole and running for U.S. President.
- Accidental Discovery: Lisa accidentally creates miniature life-forms by putting one of her teeth into a glass of cola.
- Alien Invasion: Kang and Kodos' plan to invade Earth is done by acting as Bill Clinton and Bob Dole during the presidential elections.
- Anal Probing: Homer assumes Kang and Kodos want to do this, and starts to take his pants off before they make it clear they really don't.
- Anticlimax: The ending of "The Genesis Tub"
- The Bad Guy Wins: "Citizen Kang" ends with alien race enslaving the Earth.
- Bertha In The Attic: "The Thing And I" is about a family member being hidden in the attic.
- The Cassandra: Kang and Kodos sprayed Homer with booze to make sure nobody would believe him. Probably nobody would have believed him anyway given that he was ranting about an alien invasion.
- Comically Missing the Point: Homer believed "Citizen Kang" would have a different ending had Kodos won: "Don't blame me; I voted for Kodos!"
- Didn't Think This Through: The tub people shrink Lisa in order to speak with their "God"... and have no way to unshrink her again, rendering her powerless to protect them from Bart.
- Downer Ending: All three stories.
- Bart is thrown into the attic after discovering he's the evil twin.
- Lisa is stuck in the micro-city with no way of being changed back to her normal size (what's more Bart steals her project for his own and wins the science fair). And Bart also threatened that he would flush the tub into the toilet.
- The U.S (possibly the entire world) is enslaved by Kang and Kodos.
- Evil Twin: "The Thing and I". With a twist! Bart's the evil twin.Bart: Oh, don't look so shocked.
- Gender Reveal: Kodos is apparently female.
- Hope Spot: In Citizen Kang, Homer discovers where the real Bill Clinton and Bob Dole are being held and manages to reawaken them. Unfortunately, when he tries getting them out of their tubes, he instead winds up shooting them up into outer space to their deaths.
- I Have a Family: Subverted.Homer: (to Kang and Kodos) Please don't eat me! I have a wife and kids! Eat them!
- In One Ear, Out the Other: While the miniature spaceships from the "The Genesis Tub" are attacking Bart one of them flies into his left ear and exits his right.
- Man on Fire: During the opening segment Homer lights a "Jack O' Lantern" pumpkin and accidentally lits himself on fire.
- My Country Tis of Thee That I Sting: Homer crashes the spaceship into the Capitol and successfully reveals the candidates' real identities. However, despite being exposed, Kang and Kodos declare to the people that they have to choose between one of them because "it's a two-party system" since it's too late to get new candidates. One man in the crowd announces that he will vote for a third-party candidate, but Kang and Kodos tell him: "Go ahead, throw your vote away."
- Pun-Based Title: "The Thing and I" references The King and I, while "Citizen Kang" references Citizen Kane.
- While bringing fish heads to Hugo Homer sings "Fish Heads", the biggest hit of Barnes & Barnes.
- The Genesis Tub segment is a reference to the The Twilight Zone episode "The Little People". This plot would be referenced too in the South Park episode "Simpsons Already Did It" where the characters point out that Cartman bringing a bunch of "sea men" alive in an aquarium is similar to the plot of this Simpsons Halloween episode.
- When the little people Lisa created are nailing commandments to the wall of a church Lisa says: "I created Lutherans". Martin Luther started the Lutheran/Protestant movement when he nailed commandments and statements to the wall of a church, criticizing the Roman Catholic Church.
- Homer crashing the UFO into the US Capitol Dome references Earth vs. the Flying Saucers.
- Stock Audio Clip: Homer exclaiming "AAHH! Fire! What do I do, what do I do?!" in the title sequence is taken directly from an older episode, "Homer the Heretic".
- Stupidest Thing I've Ever Heard: The Frink look-alike laughs at Lisa's idea of unshrinking her.
- Take a Third Option: The voters consider voting for a third candidate when Kang and Kodos are revealed, but get mocked for it.Kang: Go ahead, throw your vote away!
- Ross Perot, Reform Party candidate in the 1992 and 1996 presidential elections, is then seen punching his straw hat open.
- Take Me to Your Leader: Kang and Kodos to Homer, who explains there's about to be an election.
- Time Marches On: The 1996 presidential election provides the basis for "Citizen Kang".
- Uranus Is Showing: Kang and Kodos tell Homer that they come from "A nearby ringed planet whose name we'd prefer not to mention".