Films watched: Hired! (short) Part 1 and Bride of the Monster
The MST3K presentation of Bride of the Monster features:
- Bottomless Magazines: Lampshaded by Crow.How many shots does he have?
- Brain Bleach/Ho Yay: Crow has sexual dreams fantasizing about Tom in a nurse's outfit. Both Crow and Tom (who happens to be dressed as a nurse) scream when Crow wakes up and sees Tom.
- Call Back: A couple to the short "Hired!", the first part of which was shown with this film in the MST3K presentation.No, I don't want to buy a Chevrolet!
- Call Forward: The third host segment involves Crow, dressed as Willy the Waffle, showing Servo what life would be like without advertising. This is a parody of A Case of Spring Fever, which wouldn't be featured on the show until the tenth season.
- Fan Disservice: "Big Face Theater!"
- Running Gag: Jokes about the police chief's pet bird.
- Hulk Speak regarding Lobo.
- In one scene, a secretary's pencil on her ear keeps disappearing and reappearing, due to bad continuity. Crow calls attention to it every time.
- In another scene, Janet is served food by Dr. Vornoff. Joel and the bots make quite a few jokes about Lobo being the waiter.
- Take That!:Crow: Lobo take classes as DeVry.
- Wholesome Crossdresser: Tom, of course.Servo: Joel, this nurse's outfit makes me very self-conscious and embarrassed - and yet, I don't seem to mind. Weird.
The MST3K presentation of Hired Part 1 features:
- All Musicals Are Adaptations: Hired! The Musical
- Angry Mob Song: "Can't you see we're trying to tell you NO!"
- Artistic License – Economics: "Uncle Sam's gonna need cars! Why, selling Chevrolets is gonna help the war effort! Don't ya see, Dad? Come on everybody!"
- B.S.O.D. Song: "Zeroes... Zeroes... None of my salesmen / has ever sold a car..."
- Failure Is the Only Option:Servo: I'd like to make a sale, but what can I do? I'm gonna be a failure just like yoooou, dad!Crow: Like me?Servo: That's right! I'm gonna be a failure just like yoooooooooou!
- Gecko Ending: Joel and the 'Bots make up an ending of their own after Part 1, since they don't see Part 2 of Hired! until the next episode. They come up with something involving World War II breaking out.
- Also counts as No Ending because they get interrupted by the Commercial Sign before they could finish. They are understandably disappointed.
- Hello, [Insert Name Here]:Tom (as Jimmy): Um, "Hello sir or madam..."
- Ho Yay: Joel and the 'bots imply this about Mr. Warren and Jimmy.
Mr. Warren: I remember the first thing Harry drilled into me—Crow: —was Harry!
- "I Am Becoming" Song: "I'd like to make a sale, but what can I do? I'm gonna be a failure just like you, Dad!"
- "I Am" Song: He's Hired, and nobody can deny that.
- Notable Original Music: Again, "Hired! The Musical"I got a job today! (He's hired!)
I'm selling Chevrolets! (He's hired!)
I'm taking home good pay...
I just got hired!
- Previously On: As the short was broken up into two segments, this trope was given a minor spoof.Crow: Previously on Hired!
- Punctuated! For! Emphasis!: "HE BOUGHT THE CAR!"
- Running Gag: Joel and the Bots pointing out that Jimmy really should have an actual car to show.
- Left the Background Music OnServo: (as one of Jimmy's potential customers) Could ya turn down the music?! I can't hear a word you're saying!
- Special Edition: When Shout! Factory rereleased "Manos" The Hands of Fate, not only was the original second half of Hired! on here, they actually fused both parts together and released it as a bonus feature, just because they could.
- Suspiciously Similar Song: The middle portion of the Hired! song ("I got a job today!") is a riff on the A Chorus Line song "I Hope I Get It".