Among other things, the MST3k crew lampshaded the fact that the allegedly Middle Eastern (in the English dub) characters all looked suspiciously European:
- Servo: You know, guys, this doesn't seem like Persia, and that's probably not even Sinbad!
Joel: Does anyone see anything even remotely Arabian? ...I never knew Arabia was so Russian!
Crow: Well, maybe this was a Finnish movie called The Magic Voyage Of Torval!
The MST3k treatment provides examples of:
- Award Snub: Invoked: "Best performance by a red, gumball-machine-looking robot in a funny situation". And the award goes to... Crow.Servo: (outraged) I'm telling you what this is! This is fear of a short, red planet!
- Bad Bad Acting: Trace does an awesome impression of an award presenter awkwardly reading jokes from a teleprompter in the opening sketch. If you look carefully, you can even see Crow's lips slightly moving while Gypsy is talking, like he doesn't want either of them to to miss their cues.
- Call Back: Mr. B Natural practice. You probably don't want to know.
- If You Die, I Call Your Stuff: "If you're gonna die out there in the cold void of space, can I have that Toblerone you've been hiding under your bed?"
- My Friends... and Zoidberg
- Nightmare Fuel: In-Universe, the Channel Cat to Tom and Crow.Tom: WHOOOOOO AAAAAAAARRRRREEEE YOOOOUUUUUUU?!?!?!?!?!
- The laughing horse is this for everybody.
- The Quest: Crow, inspired by the film, goes off on one of these. He doesn't get very far.
- Running Gag: Every time Neptune slams his trident into the ground, Joel and the bots act as if he stabbed himself in the foot.
- Staging an Intervention: The Big Guy proves his strength by wrestling a bear. The SOL crew's dialogue turns it into the bear staging an intervention for Dan Haggerty.
- Themed Stock Board Game: Joel's invention this time is the "Rat Pack Chess Set", with a talking Frank Sinatra figurine and Mitch Miller as the opposing kings, and several house rules...
- Uncanny Valley: Averted by the Hand Puppet Channel Cat. Even when Joel takes it off, Gypsy and the 'bots think it's sleeping (or dead).Joel: (providing the voice for Channel Cat) Hello, CrooOOOOOooOOOooow!Crow: (terrified) It knows my name!
- Why Are You Looking at Me Like That?: Invoked. When it's decided the only way to appease Neptune is if one of the crew sacrifices himself:Servo: (as Sinbad) "Why's everyone looking at me?"