Among other things, the MST3k crew lampshaded the fact that the allegedly Middle Eastern (in the English dub) characters all looked suspiciously European:
- Servo: You know, guys, this doesn't seem like Persia, and that's probably not even Sinbad!
Joel: Does anyone see anything even remotely Arabian? ...I never knew Arabia was so Russian!
Crow: Well, maybe this was a Finnish movie called The Magic Voyage Of Torval!
The MST3k treatment provides examples of:
- Award Snub: Invoked: "Best performance by a red, gumball-machine-looking robot in a funny situation". And the award goes to... Crow.Servo: (outraged) I'm telling you what this is! This is fear of a short, red planet!
- Bad Bad Acting: Trace does an awesome impression of an award presenter awkwardly reading jokes from a teleprompter in the opening sketch.
- Call Back: Mr. B Natural practice. You probably don't want to know.
- If You Die, I Call Your Stuff: "If you're gonna die out there in the cold void of space, can I have that Toblerone you've been hiding under your bed?"
- My Friends... and Zoidberg
- Nightmare Fuel: In-Universe, the Channel Cat to Tom and Crow.Tom: WHOOOOOO AAAAAAAARRRRREEEE YOOOOUUUUUUU?!?!?!?!?!
- The laughing horse is this for everybody.
- The Quest: Crow, inspired by the film, goes off on one of these. He doesn't get very far.
- Running Gag: Every time Neptune slams his trident into the ground, Joel and the bots act as if he stabbed himself in the foot.
- Staging an Intervention: The Big Guy proves his strength by wrestling a bear. The SOL crew's dialogue turns it into the bear staging an intervention for the guy.
- Themed Stock Board Game: Joel's invention this time is the "Rat Pack Chess Set", with a talking Frank Sinatra figurine and Mitch Miller as the opposing kings, and several house rules...
- Uncanny Valley: Averted by the Hand Puppet Channel Cat. Even when Joel takes it off, Gypsy and the 'bots think it's sleeping (or dead).Joel: (providing the voice for Channel Cat) Hello, CrooOOOOOooOOOooow!Crow: (terrified) It knows my name!
- Why Are You Looking at Me Like That?: Invoked. When it's decided the only way to appease Neptune is if one of the crew sacrifices himself:Servo: (as Sinbad) "Why's everyone looking at me?"